IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Theobroma cacao as a Houseplant Advice Please

Xerarch

I am considering getting a Theobroma cacao tree, I would really like to have one. Will it do ok indoors? Will humidity (or lack thereof) be a problem? Will it fruit indoors? I have a nice sunroom to keep it in. 

If anyone has experience please let me know, also, is it worthwhile to get one of the special varieties like Criollo or anything? Any advice will be appreciated, thanks. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bumping this to see if there is someone out there with some input that might have missed it the first time around.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I know specialty nurseries grow this for hotel lobbies and shopping malls but I don't know how well they would do there.  I suspect that if you keep your house very dry in the winter you would have a lot of leaf tip burn and sparse growth.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I have had one indoors for about a year. I purchased it from a seller in Hawaii and it was shipped to me with 1 leaf. That single leaf did get tip burn, likely from the drastic change in humidity, but it's since grown really quickly and doesn't seem to be affected by low light and humidity. We keep our home at 68 degrees F during the winter and 78F during the summer using central heating and air. I'm also in CA so the humidity levels here are very, very low - especially indoors. Mine's growing in a 6-inch container near a south-facing window and throws out a beautiful, copper-colored leaf every couple of weeks. I'll try to get a picture of it this weekend. 

Cool, sounds like it might not be too bad a houseplant after all

15 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Cool, sounds like it might not be too bad a houseplant after all

I think so. They seem pretty easy to care for indoors. Here's mine

20170204_080351.thumb.jpg.a1b9e73b43b75b

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1