IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckias in the garden

Al in Kona

The first two pics is my tall female plant.  3rd. pic is a smaller one which hasn't flowered yet.

Bismarckia 1-2017 (2).JPG

Bismarckia 1-2017 (1).JPG

Bismarckia 1-2017 (3).JPG

• Upvote 9

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I love the broms growing all over the trunk on the first picture

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Gorgeous!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

They look great.

Those silver leaves are very 'folded', like butterfly wings, I haven't noticed that before, is that normal? 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

22 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I love the broms growing all over the trunk on the first picture

Me too!

Well done Al.

The female Bizzy below was planted back in 2003 and has grown really well. Actually, it's dropping seeds right now.   The male counterpart was planted back in 1997 and is around the same height.  It was pure luck they worked out a male/female combo.  I think the female bizzy grew quicker because it was in better deeper soil that got plenty of run-off water.

I think Bizzy's are a great looking palm, especially once they get some size about them.  :greenthumb:

11l1jzb.jpg

2r4skt1.jpg

Edited by steve99
  • Upvote 1

All stunning pictures of one of my favourite palms. Mines just at seedling stage but its about to push its 6th leaf out. Looking forward to it producing its adult leaves.

James

6 hours ago, steve99 said:

The female Bizzy below was planted back in 2003 and has grown really well. Actually, it's dropping seeds right now.   The male counterpart was planted back in 1997 and is around the same height.  It was pure luck they worked out a male/female combo.  I think the female bizzy grew quicker because it was in better deeper soil that got plenty of run-off water.

I think Bizzy's are a great looking palm, especially once they get some size about them.  :greenthumb:

11l1jzb.jpg

2r4skt1.jpg

Very nice Steve,

I believe yours are parent of mine and Steve's( @gtsteve as you sent me the seeds ...

:)