IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pip

Overnight a tropical low pressure system moved through. The bureau of meteorology sent out weather warnings including flood alerts and recommendations to campers to cut their holidays short. I woke this morning to only unreasonable rain without strong winds, still have my fingers crossed that the wind stays calm. I took the opportunity to scatter a bit of fertilizer about and noticed the new leaf opening on one of my young Archontophoenix alexandrae. This one regularly shows shades of red/orange/brown the others aren't nearly as colourful.

20170113_105652.thumb.jpg.7d7278e762606c

20170113_105933.thumb.jpg.c1d758efb7eeda

20170113_105821.thumb.jpg.7b61912c2f88ea

20170113_110151.thumb.jpg.ff4db57345efdb

• Upvote 15

It is amazing what a little rain can do. It seems to me that no amount of irrigation can compensate for rain.

• Upvote 4

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

The garden always looks better when it's wet. Hope the rain heads this way, we can do with some. Water tank is empty. :D

• Upvote 2

Looks good

I have noticed some similar Reds and Oranges on mine also but not as defined as yours, or maybe mine is just lacking something?

I too was expecting the winds to pic up dramatically, thankfully they have remained calm. I could have left the indoor plants outside all day.

If we keep getting these monthly down pours during summer I may just get away with using tank water all summer.

Hopper

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hopper said:

Looks good

I have noticed some similar Reds and Oranges on mine also but not as defined as yours, or maybe mine is just lacking something?

I too was expecting the winds to pic up dramatically, thankfully they have remained calm. I could have left the indoor plants outside all day.

If we keep getting these monthly down pours during summer I may just get away with using tank water all summer.

Hopper

Thanks Martin. We certainly have had some crazy weather in Adelaide. I just read my original post and noticed that I described the rain as unreasonable rather than unseasonable. It was nice that the rain and cloud cleared by the afternoon the cooler weather will give me a chancce to catch up on weeding and maybe potting on and planting. 

Pip, today and tonight been very hot in Sydney...had to water some of my palms ( in full sun) twice ...

BTW, I didn't know Alexanderae coming could have colourful fronds :) I am growing 3 but not lucky to have reddish leaves :( 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Pip, today and tonight been very hot in Sydney...had to water some of my palms ( in full sun) twice ...

BTW, I didn't know Alexanderae coming could have colourful fronds :) I am growing 3 but not lucky to have reddish leaves :( 

It is a trait that they grow out of and not all do I've only had a few have colourful leaves. If you look closely there is a Chambeyronia growing next to that A. alexandrae so the red new leaf will always be an ephemeral feature of that section of my garden.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, scottgt said:

It is amazing what a little rain can do. It seems to me that no amount of irrigation can compensate for rain.

Absolutely truly spoken - it is indeed amazing how the plants react to rain.

@Pip Your alexander palm looks beautiful!

I `ve got a few ones in my yard as well and it is amazing how nicely shaped they are even at a still young age.

best regards

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, scottgt said:

I could not agree more!  Even dull, dusty Southern California is starting to green up now with the recent rains.

Lovely overhead perspective of your garden, Pip.  What is the tree providing canopy?

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

5 hours ago, Kim said:

I could not agree more!  Even dull, dusty Southern California is starting to green up now with the recent rains.

Lovely overhead perspective of your garden, Pip.  What is the tree providing canopy?

Thanks Kim, my house has a deck/balcony I want to watch my palms grow past. The canopy tree is just an Albizia julibrissin, it really is only temporary, the Archontophoenix will make uo most of the canopy one day.

• Upvote 1

Ahh, the pleasures of warm rain. Palms love it.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

13 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Archontophoenix alexandrae in habitat just down the road from my property displaying coloured new frond.

Alexandra coloured leaf.JPG

• Upvote 4

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

2 hours ago, Tropicgardener said:

Archontophoenix alexandrae in habitat just down the road from my property displaying coloured new frond.

Alexandra coloured leaf.JPG

that is what I'm talking about! Great show in color.:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I have got two things:

- a rain shower (current temperatures over here are around 68F/20C - they dropped two days ago because of a cold wave on the Japanese main islands)

- and an archontophoenix alexandrae...

So I thought, why not bring it up:

003.thumb.jpg.3bb7741018de03426739be5dea

They are just beautiful.

best regards

• Upvote 1

Mine is showing the same features, just not as pronounced, thinking it's a lack of Sun light, then once it opens up and is exposed to the sun light it turns green?

IMAG6222.jpg

• Upvote 2

52" in 24 hours is a real tropical downpour ..

Severe flooding with that .. 1320 mm !!

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

11 minutes ago, aussiearoids said:

52" in 24 hours is a real tropical downpour ..

Severe flooding with that .. 1320 mm !!

Totally agree. This thread was started a little tongue in check with all the panic that the local media here in Adelaide make of every weather event since that huge storm last spring that took out the electricity grid. I enjoy it when the edge of the monsoon reaches this far south.

• Upvote 1