IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Don't pack those frost cloths just yet. Brrrr!!

NorCalKing

Although this is still a little over 2 weeks out. Looks like the latest models have put virtually all of California, and Northern Mexico, into a pretty significant freeze (especially this late in the winter). I wonder if  this an outlier, or a serious concern on the horizon?

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 11.44.15 AM.png

• Upvote 1

True. But I get pretty nervous seeing those colors breaching the mountains lol

Your last artic blast dropped my place and killed all of my stuff....

8 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Well, remember the last time models showed a strong arctic blast for your area? It just ended up as rain, with lows in the 40s.

Yea, your last "artic blast" stopped by my place and killed all of my stuff....:(

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Your last artic blast dropped my place and killed all of my stuff....

Yea, your last "artic blast" stopped by my place and killed all of my stuff....:(

Lol, it looks like this time (if things hold) that we are in the crosshairs. Man, it would be tough if we got that cold so late in the winter :'(

Edited by NorCalKing

Actually the latest model runs have us over 35f. Guess things are just too far out to nail down atm. We'll still keep the frost protection near for another few weeks.

Forecast is just below freezing for dawn on Friday for Sacramento Area/Rocklin. Livermore will be a 2C above that.

"No drama".  Just keeping it real.  Stay warm folks.

rocklin11317.jpg

sacr011317.jpg

liver011317.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

weather.com is most accurate for me. Mid 30s does suck as this whole winter has really. Coldest it has been in years. But nothing needs to be covered, except for my coconut, :) which it always is and is going great btw. Also, models are not cold, it's basically cold air that is getting stuck in valleys. Eventually it will moderate and move out, but it's nothing to be worried about. Still saying freezing temps are over.

And the late January freeze, doubt it will happen. I would be shocked if it didn't go east this time of the year

Screen_Shot_2017_01_11_at_11_17_45_PM.pn

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, seems most forecasts are now warmer than that one outlier model. Still have the frost blanket that I used for my Giant bird of paradise on the side of the house and not packed just yet. Those are just so frost sensitive.

• 2 weeks later...

They're calling for 39F for tonight.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

We got 36 this morning. It was chilly - but luckily no frost. These next few nights will be around 34 and 35 degrees - except Friday night when it'll go down to 33. It's showing some cloud cover so hopefully that means no frost! I really dislike these cold storms that come over the Sierra and deposit cold, arctic air in our valley. It usually takes several days for the cold air to move out. I can't wait to start hitting those daytime temperatures in the 60s and 70s. We've been stuck with 50s during the day for several weeks. 

Looking REALLY bad for us. We hit 41 last night, lowest for me this month. Tomorrow will probably be the worst, maybe 35 or so. Then again, the airport recording station does not seem to be accurate for most of the Santa Barbara area, with lows significantly lower than what I usually record, likely due to its location, a low lying area with little trees for canopy.  According to wunderground.com, we hit 30 last year. This may have been possible at the airport, but I only recorded around 35 or 36.

Edited by sbpalms

sbpalms_banner1.png.6b44bf3d0d7c501ebff4

Down to 35 once again this morning. If it gets colder it wont be much. I truly start to worry when it drops below freezing for hours. 

Down to 5.1/41F. Looking forward to a nice sunny day today.

• Upvote 1

Another lower than forecast morning here. Bottomed out at 31f. I'm so over these freezing mornings.

• Upvote 1

I'm with you Ron ( @NorCalKing) We had 35 with fog here this morning. The forecast has been adjusted upward, I'm now looking at 35, 36, 34, 35, 38, then back up to the 40s for lows. And we're finally going to climb into the 60s for highs and get a break from all this dreadful, cloudy weather! I'm all for the rain, but I think we were spoiled these last 6 years in which we had so little rain that I can't wait for this series of storms to be over. Each wave of storms deposits cold air into our area an then the rain creates conditions for the thick fog we get. 

• Upvote 1

It was 38 at sunrise today. No frost either. Ready for a warm a February:)

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

It was 38 at sunrise today. No frost either. Ready for a warm a February:)

Same here. Expecting a warm Feb. However we're not out of the cold woods yet for this week. 

Two straight days in the 80's for me and it's not even noon yet.

Low last night was 12C/53C

I guess those warm February days came early.

BTW, It's 81F in my patio/garden right now. My local Wunderground PWS is currently not reflecting the real numbers for my location.  It may be my microclimate, I don't know. 

• Upvote 1

Feels nice and warm outside. Not a cloud in sight. We're having temps of about 80°F even though they called for a max of 75°F. Time to pull out my bikini. 

• Upvote 2

The low this morning was around 33 with frost on the ground in open areas and we had a  high of around 76 this afternoon.  Hopefully this will be the last of the frost.

15C/59F Low. Hope this keeps up.

9 hours ago, Jubaea said:

The low this morning was around 33 with frost on the ground in open areas and we had a  high of around 76 this afternoon.  Hopefully this will be the last of the frost.

Same here. 33f and light frost. Looks like this is it for the really chilly mornings.

3 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Same here. 33f and light frost. Looks like this is it for the really chilly mornings.

Didn't have any frost or freezing during this whole cool spell. Guess that is a good thing, it has been cold enough. Looking forward to 70s next week

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Didn't have any frost or freezing during this whole cool spell. Guess that is a good thing, it has been cold enough. Looking forward to 70s next week

No 70's showing up here yet. But we are seeing nothing but >60f in the 10 day. And tonight the last overnight low at <40f. Looks like winter has finally run it's course.

4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Same here - cold mornings, but no frost. I think 34 was my lowest this last cold spell. We're getting up to 70 by Wednesday! But hey, after all these gloomy days, even a sunny 65 degree day feels amazing. 

Good looking 10 day forecast. Even the chance of showers for Monday has evaporated. Nice 72F+ days.

Edited by GottmitAlex

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Good looking 10 day forecast. Even the chance of showers for Monday has evaporated. Nice 72F+ days.

That's pretty sweet. Still 60's here with a few rain days sprinkled in. (Which I'm happy since I fertilized some citrus over the weekend)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not out of the woods yet. They're calling for a couple nights in the mid 40's for next week...

download.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Oh, I'm okay with mid fortys. As long as no frost threat, I'm good!

Gulp... Mid forties in the latter half of next week for us in Socal. Doesn't look to good for Norcal folks for those days...

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2017, 9:27:23, GottmitAlex said:

Gulp... Mid forties in the latter half of next week for us in Socal. Doesn't look to good for Norcal folks for those days...

Dude, you are soooooo negative! :P  The anticipated temps are of no concern, and nor will they be from here on out.  

The incredible amounts of water and root suffocation are the issue!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37