Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Post Orlando Palm Pictures!

10 posts in this topic

I want to see what people are growing in Orlando, Florida! 

...go to the Leu Gardens website...   www.leugardens.org

Not many palms aren't growing somewhere in Orlando these days. 

Since no one has posted pictures yet I'll bite. Be forwarded though mine are probably nothing special compared to other palm tree photos on this site. 

58779d4a5a8be_2017-01-1210.06.04.thumb.j

A Syagrus Romanzoffiana  (Queen Palm) which I salvaged out of an abandoned lot near Lakeland. It didn't look to good when I first planted it, but since then has took off like a rocket. 

2017-01-12 10.07.24.jpg

Edited by ThePalmNovice

*58779e95b0e75_2017-01-1210.05.36.thumb.j

A cluster of Adonidia I got from Home Depot. While of decent size when I got them I've been battling to keep these from getting too yellow.

2017-01-12 10.06.27.jpg

Edited by ThePalmNovice

20161115_160919.thumb.jpg.ccea94ccbb1e2c

A set of three Chamaedorea cataractarum I used to replace a dead bush on the front of my house and form a privacy hedge. 

And finally my Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis I'm sure some of you remember from my redneck greenhouse thread. 

2017-01-12 10.04.23.jpg

Edited by ThePalmNovice

On 1/10/2017, 10:57:11, PalmTreeDude said:

I want to see what people are growing in Orlando, Florida! 

anything in particular?

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

anything in particular?

Hmm... Palms more of the "exotic" type that do well there? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Best Palms For Containers Zone 10A
      By DCA_Palm_Fan
      Hey everyone.  
      I have not been on much as I have been preparing for my big move. (sorry about that!) Well, the day is finally here tomorrow, and everything is done. (accept the long two day drive down)  After talking about it for years and wanting it for 2 decades, I will be finally moving to good old sunny Florida!  Saint Petersburg to be exact. YAY!!!!  
      What I am looking for are some suggestions for some great palms that do great in containers outdoors year around.  I know many of the good old basics, but I want to ask here anyway as I am sure there are always some that I do not yet know, and that others do, and you fine wonderful palm nuts are always so great and reliable!  So, Please feel free to suggest away!  I appreciate it!
      A little about where I am moving.  Its in far south Saint Petersburg. It is surrounded by water in close proximity (I can see it clearly from my place), and some coconut and other very tropical palms are growing and thriving near by.   Below are a couple of photos of the area via map.  I will be living basically right where it says "Seapointe Terrace) 

(edit - I did not place this in the palms in pots forums because it will get far more traffic here, and, I also may be able to plant something in the actual ground) 

• SABAL PALMETTO SEEDLINGS POPPING UP IN VA!!!!
      By PalmTreeDude
      Last year a took a whole bug infested seed stalk of Sabal palmetto seeds from a rest stop in North Carolina last summer and flung them around my planter, after about 2 months of nothing happening, I lost hope. Then winter came and went, and it is now next summer, I went to Hilton Head Island SC, and saw all of their palms, haha. I came home, and took a look at the planter, and BOOM! THEY ARE SPROUTING! The seeds made it through the winter and are SPROUTING! They are all over the garden! Now I just need to see what happens in winter. 

• Northern California: Areca vestiaria in unheated sunroom
      By Hillizard
      I got this Areca vestiaria years ago as a germinated seed from RPS. It's the only one of a group that's thrived. It's always been indoors in a room that only gets morning light/heat (i.e., my sunroom faces east). Some of the offshoots from the main stem declined and I've had to spray for scale now and then, but otherwise it's done OK under a relatively low-humidity, shady, highly variable temperature regime. It's my suspicion, beyond mere acclimation, that success with certain palm genera under less than ideal [challenging?] growing conditions may be dependent on the specific genetics of an individual palm. 

• Alcázar of Seville, Spain
      By Hillizard
      Now that the Dorne storyline is (presumably) over, I'll miss those great views of the palms in the water gardens of the 10th-century Alcázar Palace in Seville, Spain. It was used in HBO's Game of Thrones for the rulers of the House Martell.