Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Post Orlando Palm Pictures!

10 posts in this topic

I want to see what people are growing in Orlando, Florida! 

...go to the Leu Gardens website...   www.leugardens.org

Not many palms aren't growing somewhere in Orlando these days. 

Since no one has posted pictures yet I'll bite. Be forwarded though mine are probably nothing special compared to other palm tree photos on this site. 

58779d4a5a8be_2017-01-1210.06.04.thumb.j

A Syagrus Romanzoffiana  (Queen Palm) which I salvaged out of an abandoned lot near Lakeland. It didn't look to good when I first planted it, but since then has took off like a rocket. 

2017-01-12 10.07.24.jpg

Edited by ThePalmNovice

*58779e95b0e75_2017-01-1210.05.36.thumb.j

A cluster of Adonidia I got from Home Depot. While of decent size when I got them I've been battling to keep these from getting too yellow.

2017-01-12 10.06.27.jpg

Edited by ThePalmNovice

20161115_160919.thumb.jpg.ccea94ccbb1e2c

A set of three Chamaedorea cataractarum I used to replace a dead bush on the front of my house and form a privacy hedge. 

And finally my Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis I'm sure some of you remember from my redneck greenhouse thread. 

2017-01-12 10.04.23.jpg

Edited by ThePalmNovice

On 1/10/2017, 10:57:11, PalmTreeDude said:

I want to see what people are growing in Orlando, Florida! 

anything in particular?

1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

anything in particular?

Hmm... Palms more of the "exotic" type that do well there? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Trashy Spear Fully Pulled
      By PalmTreeDude
      Well... My Trachy spear pulled from the worst cold snap we have had here, the funny thing is my Butias, Mediterranean Fan Palm, and of course my Needle Palm are all thriving right now. I put most protection on the trachy and it is having the problem. The inner spear pulled but some fronds on the outside are green. Will it survive or is it likely dead?
    • Trashy Spear Fully Pulled
      By PalmTreeDude
      Well... My Trachy spear pulled from the worst cold snap we have had here, the funny thing is my Butias, Mediterranean Fan Palm, and of course my Needle Palm are all thriving right now. I put most protection on the trachy and it is having the problem. The inner spear pulled but some fronds on the outside are green. Will it survive or is it likely dead?
    • A visit to an Oasis above the Old Pubelo
      By Silas_Sancona
      As mentioned in an earlier I thread in the "travel" section, I made another trip south to Tohono Chul to snap some pictures of the Palm Canyon exhibit, and various other things to share with everyone.. as well as pick up additional hard to find plants for my on going landscape renovation at the house, and colection. Additionally, I made a brief stop at a well respected cacti and succulent nursery on the far East side of town.. no pictures from there though.
      While a hot day by mid spring in Arizona standards, there was enough of an upsloping breeze to take the edge off. The trade off is its easy to forget to drink enough water. Anyway, a nice day for walking the grounds. 
      For those who have never been, this out of the way park/ garden is a Tucson treasure nestled further up on the north side of downtown among the areas famous thermal belt. Many years ago, Orange, Date, and Olive groves dotted the landscape before succumbing to a falling water table. While not as extensive today, there are still a few remnants of the areas past. One thing I found interesting when reading over a historical article related to this area's climate was that both Mangoes and Papaya were supposedly cultivated as well. For what it's worth, Guava, Citrus, and Quince were brought to the area when the Spanish settled north of Mexico.
      First up, Palm Canyon, a smallish replication of the Sonoran desert's tropical origins that exist down toward Guaymas and San Carlos. Many of the plants and palms are the same species you might encounter on a trip to Nacapule Canyon outside San Carlos. Others can still be found in places around the southern half of Arizona, and California.. if you know where to look. Ofcourse, Mexican Fan Palms are everywhere.. enjoy
      Entering the exhibit

• Best Universal Palm Fertilizer?
      By PalmTreeDude
      What do you think is the best universal palm fertilizer? I have two Pindo Palms, 1 Mediterranean Fan Palm, one Needle Palm, one Windmill Palm, and soon some Sabal minor. Does anyone know of a palm fertilizer that will affect each one of these palms in a positive way? At the time I can not afford separate fertilizers for each palm species. Thank you for any help! If I can order it, can you please include the link to it as well? 
    • Spring/Summer special Palm list
      By Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms
      My Busy time of year for surfboard repair is quickly approaching but I finally had some time to make a list of available palms for sale. Many of you got your palms from me in the past as I have been growing for over 15 years and although I have downsized drastically in the last decade, I still have thousands of palms for sale. Most are in liners, one gallons and five gallons but I do have some larger things.  I started growing to "support my palm habit" and still just love growing palms.  I believe the most gratifying thing about a palm is growing it from seed but I understand wanting something just a little bigger.  I just don't really understand the gratification of buying something really big.  It's like adopting a teenager.....yuk.   Ha ha  Sorry I'm too busy to ship.  I am in Oceanside Ca.  at 1601 Griffin St. 92054  thanks, Mark  P.S. forgive my spelling or new names for palms, it's all from memory. 
      Archontophoenix purpurea/beatriz  multi 5 gallon @ $15  Many available   Allagoptera Arenaria one gallons $5 Arenga Micrantha 5 gallon $20 1 avail Beccariophoenix alfredii 5 gallon California coconut) @25.00 (pictured)  5 available Beccariophoenix sp. 5 gallon $40 Burretiokentia hapala 1gallon @$10   2 avail Burretiokentia Koghiensis 1gallon @$10 one avail.   Brahea nitida, one gallon  $5     5 avail. Chuniophoenix Nana 3 gallon $15 1 avail Chamaedorea radicals tree-form 1 gallon multi @ 5.00 more than 20 available Chambeyronia macrocarpa, watermelon and hookeri 1 gallon @15.00  Many avail. Cocothrinax 1 gallon @$5   1 avail Cyphophoenix elegans 3 gallon @30. (pictured) Cyphophoenix alba 1 gallon @15. 2 aval. Dypsis plumosa one gallon @$10. many Dypsis baronii 1 gallon @10.  5 aval. Dypsis lanceolata 1 gallon @$10. 5 aval.  Dypsis decepiens 1gallon @10.  1 avail Dypsis leptocheilos 1gallon @$15. 5 aval. Dypsis mahajanga/madagascarensis 5 gallon @$20. 5 aval. Dypsis onielihensis/baronii? hybreds? 1 gal. @12 10 avail Dypsis Lutescens 5 gallon $30 3 avail. Dypsis Bejoufa, 1gallon $15 two avail. Dypsis prestoniana 1gallon @15   one avail  Dypsis Ovobontsira, one gallon $20  1 avail   Dypsis Saintlucei, Dypsis Utilis, Dypsis Robusta, 5 gallons $25   6 avail. Dypsis Pilulifera one gallon $20 1 avail Dypsis Malcomberi, hybreds 3 gallons $75   3 avail. Dypsis decaryi 1 gal @ $5    Triangle palm many avail Dypsis pembana     1 gal     $10. 5 gal, $25.    Many avail. Kentiopsis oliviformis  5 gallon @ 30 2 avail. Kentiopsis Pyriformis one gallon $30   8 avail Pseudophoenix sargentii  one gallon $20   3 avail Syagrus coco-queen hybreds $25 5gallon  10 avail. Syagrus sancona (Colombian foxtail) $20  1 avail Bismark nobilis     10 gal     $30. Bismark palm smallish 2 avail. Caryota urens     (15 gal. $25.)     Fishtail palm 1 avail Chamaedorea glaucafolia     1 gal $5. 5 gal $10     3 avail. Chamaedorea plumosa 1 gal  $10. Baby queen palm (singles, doubles triples) More than 20 avail Chamaedorea tepejilote     5 gal     $20.     8 years+ old 3 avail Chamaedorea, ernesti-augusti, 1 gal  $10. 3 avail Chamaedorea Hooperiana, 5 gallon @20 1 avail. Euterpe Edulis 5 gallon $25 big!  1 avail Hyophorbe verschaffeltii 5 gal     $35.    Spindle palm Humungous 4 feet tall 2 avail. Howea forsteriana     $5-one gallon.    Kentia palm   5 gallon $15  3 avail Howea belmoreana     5 gal $20     Curly palm full sun, 5 avail.    Jubaea chillensis 15 gallon $75   Chiliian wine palm    (most valuable large palm. period) 3 avail Pritchardia minor  1 gallon $5   3 avail Hedyscepe Canterburyana (Umbrella Palm), one gallons $12 (pictured) 20 avail. Hyophorbe Indica, one gallon $5 10 avail. Ravenea glauca 15 gal. $60 5 gallon $25  2 avail. Rhapis excelsa 10 gal. $20 one avail Roystonea regia,  5 gal $20. Royal palm 1 gallon $10 many avail. Sabal blackburniana 1 gallon $5  1 avail Rapalostylis sapida 5 gallon $20 1 avail. Rapalostylis cheesmanii and Chatham Isle. 1 gallons@ $5!!!!!!!!!   Trithrianix Brasiliensis 15 gallon $20  1 avail OTHER PLANTS  
      Plumeria    cuttings $2.  some huge
      Dioon edule 1 gallon $10  3 avail
      Cycas thoursii 5 gal $35.  (pictured) 10 avail
      Encephalartos $50 horridus tall one gallons 10 avail.