IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show me your Archie MAXIMA's

cassowaryhill

Hi Guys, I dont think iv seen enough of these. I have non as of yet, but would love to see what I should hopefully be purchasing in other peoples gardens

I will be planting some Roystoneas but want more maximas

Archontophoenix are such a good genus to grow in Melbourne it is surprising that not more are grown. I suspect that given how similar they are in appearance to each other the common cunninghamiana dominates and the others with exception to alexandrae are forgotten about. I think purpurea is the pick of all the Archontophoenix. There is what is labelled as a maxima at the Royal Botanic Gardens near gate D. I have purpurea and myolensis in pots. Never seen tuckeri down here but suspect that would be good down here as well.

• Upvote 2

Ive got tuckeri, maxima, purpurea plus the standards here in geelong the tuckeri is really nice very dark green they just need water to look good i find they grow well for me there all in full sun too

You guys in Oz have the best native palms!

I have four different Archies, and love them all. The fifth is common, so I can gaze at them in nearby gardens.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

11 hours ago, coops 3214 said:

Ive got tuckeri, maxima, purpurea plus the standards here in geelong the tuckeri is really nice very dark green they just need water to look good i find they grow well for me there all in full sun too

Yeah I've several tuckeri in blazing hot sun from 4" & yesterday commented to myself "gee Kris these things are loving the 35+C days we are receiving, though Cape York has 35C most days, unless it's raining, where 28C would still be reached".

PICS!

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Thank guys @Sir Oxylon iv seen the one at the Bot Gardens. I wasnt very impressed. A lot of the Bot Gardens Archies are wind burnt or just meh.. Unless down by the Gully garden.

I think Archies do indeed do well here in Melbs but they need water and lots of it. Esp in Summer. My purpurea down here is such a water hog, that I have just left it standing in water in the shade and growing heaps better.

@DoomsDave I totally agree! Self cleaning, Tropical looking and fast...

@Cocoa Beach Jason hahaha! Besides.. Lets try stay on track even if I did myself speak about a purpurea.. Lets SEE some Maximas....

@Jim in Los Altos, @Jdiaz31089 American side?

@Kennybenjamin @Daryl @Pedro 65 @aussiearoids @Walter John @Josh-O??? Fellow Ozzies? @Tropicgardener - Dont recall seeing any at yours..Could be wrong

Pics Guys?

Not at all impressive, but someone has to post a freaking picture! Here's one of mine last summer. I'd post a current photo but I am in NYC!

IMG_1444.JPG

• Upvote 7

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

9 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Not at all impressive, but someone has to post a freaking picture! Here's one of mine last summer. I'd post a current photo but I am in NYC!

IMG_1444.JPG

Hey, that still looks nice!

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

1 minute ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Hey, that still looks nice!

It got us on the board, at least! :D

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

How can you tell the difference between a tuckeri and a maxima? I have one that I think is a tuckeri but when I google maxima then I start to second guess. 

I've only got a small one (3 feet tall) and it's easily my slowest growing Archontophoenix. Cunninghamiana just sail right past this maxima even from seed. Otherwise, I've got purpurea, adexander, myolensis, cunninghamiana, Illawara, and one some people call Mt. St. Lewis. Oh and two Inga Hoffman cunninghamiana. All (60+ of them) do really well in my Nor. Cal. Garden. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

Haha!! Thanks @Ben in Norcal your a legend

@Kennybenjamin cheers! @NApalm got a pic?

Anyone got some comparison with other Archies?

I have a few A. maxima growing along my creek......... young ones that have been in less than 18 months but they are starting to trunk....... Much faster than the local native A. alexandrae

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

it's not looking great due to the dry windy hot conditions but anyway, I'll grab a pic and send it through tomorrow. sozzy

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

Haha!! Thanks @Ben in Norcal your a legend

@Kennybenjamin cheers! @NApalm got a pic?

Anyone got some comparison with other Archies?

James has a nice 1 shane msg him and get im to take a pic mines looking a bit avg at them.moment my big wattle fell on it so  its only got 1 leaf just opening now

I saw there was a lack of A. maximas in this thread, so here we go. The first picture was taken at my mother's house in May of 2006 after I planted two out from 10 gallon pots. The second is in May of 2014, they now have 15 feet of trunk. They got a tad burned one year at 29F, but held up well and are dropping seeds like crazy. The house is currently for sale, I encourage people to go and take seeds from the palm, just pretend you are looking to buy a new house. :)  Best Archontophoenix for hot and humid subtropics. 

Arch maxima.jpg

Arch maxima 2.jpg

• Upvote 6

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I think Archontophoenix look best in shade, shelter from wind and lots of water in Melbourne-the ones in Melb Botanic Gardens are too exposed.

The A. alexandrae at Melbourne University regularly produce bronze new leaves, however, I think some individuals in several if not all the species can do this.

That Archontophoenix ''Mt St Lewis" I wonder if that is A. purpurea. Never heard of a Mt St Lewis but A. purpurea comes from Mt Lewis near Cairns.

25 minutes ago, SirOxylon said:

I think Archontophoenix look best in shade, shelter from wind and lots of water in Melbourne-the ones in Melb Botanic Gardens are too exposed.

The A. alexandrae at Melbourne University regularly produce bronze new leaves, however, I think some individuals in several if not all the species can do this.

That Archontophoenix ''Mt St Lewis" I wonder if that is A. purpurea. Never heard of a Mt St Lewis but A. purpurea comes from Mt Lewis near Cairns.

Yes A. purpurea was once known as A. sp. 'Mount Lewis'......... and this was certainly the case when I first visited Mount Lewis a few decades ago..........

As for shade requirements......up here in the tropics full sun from just after seedling stage as long as they get enough water, they don't look back and don't burn due to our very high relative humidity........ A. cunninghamiana will grow here but never looks as good as it does in cooler climates.

• Upvote 1

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a pic of my big Maxie from my roof!

That big feather palm muscling in behind is Darla the Royostonea borenquenia, with leaves of Dypsis baronii on the left, and A. purpurea on the right.

275.JPG.7e18900abe36ec328cef87888a1262b3

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I've grown all except tuckeri here in Melbourne. Unfortunately my maxima was a casualty a couple of years ago when irrigation was cut. It was in a shaded spot and was very slow compared to other Archies before it's demise. To me whilst maxima is a nice looking palm, I don't see anything remarkably different from alexandrae.

Agree with some of the other comments that exposed Archies often don't look at their best. I think wind is the problem here, alexandrae actually tends to look better out in the open than cunninghamiana due to the stiffer fronds in my opinion.

Toss up between purpurea and myolensis for my favourite. Has anyone else seen the double myolensis at Gardens by the Bay in Singapore? I thought the blue/aqua crownshaft was a bit of a myth based on photos I've seen but in person there's nothing I've seen like it.

• Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here's a pic of my big Maxie from my roof!

That big feather palm muscling in behind is Darla the Royostonea borenquenia, with leaves of Dypsis baronii on the left, and A. purpurea on the right.

275.JPG.7e18900abe36ec328cef87888a1262b3

Wow! Top shot! thanks @DoomsDave such a stunner and really massive 

@Tropicgardener weird that they faster them the local Alex's! 

Also... something Iv never actually asked ... maybe you could answer @Kennybenjamin@Jim in Los Altos - with all these different species and subspecies.... how high is the hybrid rate? I mean I will go to grow heaps of these Archie's myself and hope they all don't hybridise too much. I'm probably going to grow "groves" of the same species together as opposed a big ol mix up... 

(except one bed that will have 1 of each together) 

To whom it may concern,

Please find attached the requested images of Archontopheonix maxima.

Yous sincerely

NApalm

58787da6b1ed1_2017-01-1317.08.02.thumb.j

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

Also... something Iv never actually asked ... maybe you could answer @Kennybenjamin@Jim in Los Altos - with all these different species and subspecies.... how high is the hybrid rate? I mean I will go to grow heaps of these Archie's myself and hope they all don't hybridise too much. I'm probably going to grow "groves" of the same species together as opposed a big ol mix up... 

(except one bed that will have 1 of each together) 

From experience I can tell you that Alex and Cunninghamiana hybridise readily.... I have never seen purpurea hybridise with anything. As sir oxylon mentioned I'm not sure I could tell if Alex, myolensis, tuckerii or maxima did hybridise cause they all look so similar to my eye?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kennybenjamin said:

From experience I can tell you that Alex and Cunninghamiana hybridise readily.... I have never seen purpurea hybridise with anything. As sir oxylon mentioned I'm not sure I could tell if Alex, myolensis, tuckerii or maxima did hybridise cause they all look so similar to my eye?

There are a few hybrid purpurea in South Florida; they are lighter shades of purple but much more robust than either parent would be, in our climate. Ellis has a fine one in his tropical garden.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017‎ ‎8‎:‎25‎:‎36‎, wimmie said:

Question: which Archie has reddish new leafs.

Wim.

Here is Archontophoenix alexandrae in habitat near my home with reddish orange new leaf......Quite common in this area.

Alexandra coloured leaf.JPG

• Upvote 3

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland