Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain (April 2015)

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I went to Gran Canaria back in April 2015, and I took a few pictures of palm trees with my bad-quality smartphone. ^_^ Here are some of my photos (plus a bonus landscape picture):

I'm not sure of the palm species in picture number 5 (the palm in the central part of the photo), anyone could help me please?

5873019cb197e_GranCanariaSpain(April2015

587301a303990_GranCanariaSpain(April2015

587301acbe529_GranCanariaSpain(April2015

587301b22edb7_GranCanariaSpain(April2015

587301b88f1bf_GranCanariaSpain(April2015

587302c5567ff_GranCanariaSpain(April2015

587301c5a86d4_GranCanariaSpain(April2015

Edited by DG57
one photo had been reversed by mistake

Nice photo's.

I think the palm on the fifth photo is a Roystonea regia.

Ok, yes, Roystonea regia it is, then. Thanks!

Awesome photos! :greenthumb:

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Coconuts In The Desert?
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is anyone in a desert region growing coconuts? If so how well do they do and do you have any pictures?
    • Rapha Farnifera in mainland Spain?
      By Dondequiera Jeff
      As near as I can tell from looking at my palm books and on the internet, this palm is a Raphia farnifera. It is growing in Parque de la Paloma in Benalmádena, Málaga, Spain. I was surprised to see it as I assumed it was too tropical to grow in this area. Although it is a 10A area, it is cool for several months in the winter, with average daily highs only about 62ºF or about 16.5ºC. I have never seen another palm of this type in Andalucía. By the way, a few weeks ago we had temperatures down to about 2ºC but this palm seems completely unaffected. Can someone confirm that it is actually a Raphia farnifera? If not, any idea what it is?

• Can somebody help me ID this coconut palm?
      By bbates123
      I planted this from a sprouted coconut a few years ago.  The leaf stalks look more yellow than my Malayan coconuts and other small sprouted coconuts.  Can anybody tell me what this palm is?

• Are my coconut palms OK?
      By bbates123
      These palms have been in the ground since June 2015.  Overall they seem to be doing fine but I've been noticing the edges of the fronds turning brown, even newer growth.  This also happened last winter.  Is this just a normal thing that happens during the colder winter months when they get less light during the day?  Using a cheap moisture meter the gauge reads plenty of moisture in the ground.  They get hit with soaker hoses twice a week.  They also get in ground fertilizer injections 3 times a year from a professional service.  Do I need to worry about lethal yellowing?

• Palms and Others of Interest
      By kinzyjr
      Phoenix Dactylifera - 10ft. - Grown from seed.

Phoenix Dactylifera - 6ft. - Grown from seed.

Phoenix Dactylifera - 4ft. - Grown from seed.

Phoenix Dactylifera - 3ft. - Grown from seed.

Phoenix Roebelenii - 7 years in the ground

Phoenix Roebelenii - 7 years in the ground