Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Comment required from Carlo

7 posts in this topic

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268035795_The_date_palm_with_blue_dates_Phoenix_senegalensis_Andre_Arecaceae_A_horticultural_enigma_is_solved

This a genetic analysis of Phoenix porphyrocarpa, which discovered that it is a 100% CIDP! I wonder whether Carlo (Morici) is already aware of this discovery and his opinion on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Are there such specimens in the wild in the Canaries for example? Is further CIDP native only to Canary islands, or is it also widespread on the western african coast (in the wild of course)?

Interesting!

Very interesting. And all along I thought porphyrocarpa meant 'red' fruits! Are there any studies that discuss increased hardiness of P. canariensis var porphyrocarpa?

very interesting, Does this mean it is of equal cold hardiness to CIDP

2 hours ago, Josh76 said:

Very interesting. And all along I thought porphyrocarpa meant 'red' fruits! Are there any studies that discuss increased hardiness of P. canariensis var porphyrocarpa?

Fruits are indeed red at the kimri and khalaal ripening stage. It is cleared out explicitly in the text. 

1 hour ago, Jamesasb said:

This matter is settled I think, there are many reports from France stating that it is cold hardier than regular CIDP.  I have seen one thriving in the Bretagne.

22 hours ago, Jamesasb said:

It is reportedly hardier than the regular P. canariensis @Jamesasb. Several years ago I visited Madrid after they had experienced a very cold winter and most of the CIDP's were very badly burnt. In the botanic gardens there was one tree which seemed untouched and sure enough, the fruits were red.