IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

here we have a wave of cold

gyuseppe

here  we have a wave of cold polar, Which We had not from many years
Yesterday  maximum temperatures only of 2 degrees celsius!,the minimum temperatures  they were  -4 degrees celsius
this morning, minimum temperatures of -5 degrees celsius
we have no water! water in the pipes froze everything, that I can remember, ever frozen pipes

GIUSEPPE

So sorry to hear this, Giuseppe.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Yesterday all night long I have recorded subzero (in C scale) temperarture with a minimum of -1.9 recorded. From 6 am to 8 am constantly lower than -1.4 C. Fortunately no frost, dew point lies many degrees lower and no snow or rain.

49 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

What is the hardiness zone for your location?

9b for the past 26 years

Here temperatures yesterday morning in Naples and Rome and in my city  were d -6 degrees celsius

last year have not come down to -0 degree celsius,  6 degrees celsius are quite a difference!

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

3 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Ouch. Not a very tropical look. At least snow helps insulate.

4 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Ooof, here it is almost windless, very rare occasion for such a cold spell and therefore I feel extremely lucky, although this could change rapidly, it is really an óolak situation. Luck is so changeable as the moon...

3 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

Here temperatures yesterday morning in Naples and Rome and in my city  were d -6 degrees celsius

last year have not come down to -0 degree celsius,  6 degrees celsius are quite a difference!

Hi Gyuseppe,

Those temperature are amazing for south Italia!

Cross fingers for your garden and inform us for the test.

Ciao ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

min last night -0,5 C, generally negative temperature only for 3 hours in the early part of the night. Now it is about 1.5C but the sun appeared. Yes, we are speaking of the same cold spell, also here we expect on Thursday the end of it.

Edited by Phoenikakias

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

also here we expect on Thursday the end of it.

but  say  which next week will come back the cold ?

GIUSEPPE

worried for archontophoenix cunninghamiana and allagoptera arenaria,They have already passed many winters, but do not know if this time 

• Upvote 2

GIUSEPPE

Naples beat the record cold!

the historical wave of frost and snow that has hit the South Centre, did break the record of the lowest minimum temperature ever recorded in Naples.
The previous record  in  1981   measured in the Capodichino Station  was -5.6  celsius , at dawn on Sunday 8/1/2017  thermometer measured -5.7  celsius

• Upvote 5

GIUSEPPE

7 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

This is the end.  Today at 7:30 am in the city center.

IMG_20170110_074340.jpg

:-(

On 1/9/2017, 5:08:58, gyuseppe said:

That's 21.1 degrees F!

:(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/9/2017, 2:37:11, dalmatiansoap said:

-5.5c :wacko: on Saturday morning. Disaster.

22.1 F. So sad to hear! That's worse by far than the infamous Freeze of 2007 in January of 2007. (That was plenty bad enough!)

:badday: <==== That's SNOW!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have seen that even Dubrovnik equalled or possibly broke their record low, with -7C being recorded at the city station & temperatures remained below freezing for 48hrs! :o

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

10 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

worried for archontophoenix cunninghamiana and allagoptera arenaria,They have already passed many winters, but do not know if this time 

Sadly, I don't think that archy will make it. I bottomed out 25f last winter, and mine barely made it.

52 minutes ago, SouthSeaNate said:

I have seen that even Dubrovnik equalled or possibly broke their record low, with -7C being recorded at the city station & temperatures remained below freezing for 48hrs! :o

unfortunaly yes

3 hours ago, SouthSeaNate said:

Almost. Low was -6.6C on that station, very close to that record from 50 years ago. This cold breach is the worst in last 50 years.

At my place in Trsteno we had a low of -5.4C. These temperatures are atypical and abnormal for Dubrovnik. Something strange is happening to climate.

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cikas said:

Almost. Low was -6.6C on that station, very close to that record from 50 years ago. This cold breach is the worst in last 50 years.

At my place in Trsteno we had a low of -5.4C. These temperatures are atypical and abnormal for Dubrovnik. Something strange is happening to climate.

Have you protected the nice Archontophoenix collection of yours? I think -5.4 C in Europe is capable to kill even a Parajubaea and many Ficus trees (not only defoliation), I am really very sorry. On the other hand I feel very lucky because southern Attica was largely spared from this horrendus cold spell thanks to an extremely rare concurrence of beneficial factors, like persisting southern wind for a big while, very low dew point and absence of snow fall for the biggest part of the cold spell, negative temperature figures (in C scale) only for two days and only at night and even then not below -2 C, whereby the absolute minimum every night was lasting only for a couple of hours. I use as canaries the ficus trees in my place and they look up to now very pristine. Even a weakened ficus on my balcony shows after the melt down of the snow very minimal damage, newest leaf and bud remaining intact.

IMG_20170111_095739.thumb.jpg.0a0d0cb881

• Upvote 3

Here the leaves of Ficus those without protection  they are all  burnt 

leaves  of archontophoenix cunninghamiana   are all  burnt

Edited by gyuseppe

GIUSEPPE

Things any better?

Have to ask

Here  the minimum temperatures will not drop below 0 degrees  Celsis for the next days

But forecasts say that the cold will return

GIUSEPPE

Cold weather is moving more to western Europe next week. At the moment you guys in the south/southeast of Europe have seen lower temperatures and more snow that I have seen in many years. 

First we need to handle a northwestern storm tomorrow which is coming with high tide at the same time, so the first actions to prepare against flooding have been taken already. 
Next week the cold will hit us with freezing temperatures during the night and days as well. Could fall some snow however that is not sure yet but if that happens we have seen in the past that could give extreme lows during clear nights. If this evolving badly next week could be one of the colder winter periods for years.

Southwest

Im assuming you guys arnt bothering to protect your plants?? Why not?

Phoenikakias - a quick cover of a blanket or something works wonders and keeps them alive to recover - well worth the effort. Its what we do every winter lol

It's hard to explain what it takes to make protection that can take few days of constant winds of 100-150km/h.

• Upvote 1