Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ouch Western Gulf, You're Getting Hammered Right Now

91 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2017, 11:41:39, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

65Gallon potted CIDP 100% burned during the first cold spell but are already pushing green spears.  65G True dates are 100% burn and I think I lost at least a few. I keep hearing reports that dactyl are more hardy than CIDP but I'm not convinced.

Every measure of cold tolerance I've ever read say P dacty is a little more cold tolerant than CIDP, but I too have questioned this as it relates to recovery from a severe freeze.  I've been tracking results of an incredible cold even in St. George, UT a few years ago, temp got down around 0 a few nights in a row, a very rare event there.  Almost all the mature P dacty's that I know of around town died, a few survived, however there are a handful of CIDP's around town that I have been watching since the 90's.  Judging from google street view, traffic cams, etc.  All the ones I know of survived, beat back big time for sure, but they're alive.

3 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Every measure of cold tolerance I've ever read say P dacty is a little more cold tolerant than CIDP, but I too have questioned this as it relates to recovery from a severe freeze.  I've been tracking results of an incredible cold even in St. George, UT a few years ago, temp got down around 0 a few nights in a row, a very rare event there.  Almost all the mature P dacty's that I know of around town died, a few survived, however there are a handful of CIDP's around town that I have been watching since the 90's.  Judging from google street view, traffic cams, etc.  All the ones I know of survived, beat back big time for sure, but they're alive.

In recent freezes the CIDP has come out on the bottom of that contest with the dacts certainly showing less damage.

7 hours ago, _Keith said:

In recent freezes the CIDP has come out on the bottom of that contest with the dacts certainly showing less damage.

I think it's well documented that CIDP starts showing damage at higher temps. What I question is that in a 100% defoliation event, the CIDP might be more likely to recover, at least in certain climates.  

I agree, cidp burns first but seems to survive colder and definitely wetter extremes. 

Just as a confidence booster to those in Houston growing tropicals: the foxtail palm in the street-view I am about to show you has survived even the winter of 2011 (albeit with defoliation), which saw winter precip and low 20s in many areas of metro Houston. The sheer cold days this winter, in comparison, were minimal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.742024,-95.3957742,3a,75y,280.52h,82.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sACdUgm0Aj7kCFJh0kZ-2FA!2e0!5s20160501T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Edited by AnTonY

17 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Just as a confidence booster to those in Houston growing tropicals: the foxtail palm in the street-view I am about to show you has survived even the winter of 2011 (albeit with defoliation), which saw winter precip and low 20s in many areas of metro Houston. The sheer cold days this winter, in comparison, were minimal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.742024,-95.3957742,3a,75y,280.52h,82.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sACdUgm0Aj7kCFJh0kZ-2FA!2e0!5s20160501T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Nice find! Going to have to check it out soon...

Saw some huge (but possibly dead) plumeria trunks in the area (towards Buffalo Bayou)...also some Schefflera arboricola growing under an overhang weren't defoliated at all. 

Edited by Xenon

On 2/22/2017, 4:22:53, Xenon said:

Nice find! Going to have to check it out soon...

Saw some huge (but possibly dead) plumeria trunks in the area (towards Buffalo Bayou)...also some Schefflera arboricola growing under an overhang weren't defoliated at all. 

Yes, Yupon street, right in Montrose. Something I've always noticed while in Houston is that the areas inside the Beltway are more "clever" and "experimental" in their gardening than areas outside. I guess it comes with the culture.

On 2/22/2017, 12:06:12, AnTonY said:

Wow! Great find even though that thing is probably toast after this winter. I stayed in the Montrose area for a couple weeks this last summer, did a lot of walking around those neighborhoods, didn't spot any foxtails but I did see a few mangoes and bananas, even a good size fruiting banana. 

13 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Wow! Great find even though that thing is probably toast after this winter. I stayed in the Montrose area for a couple weeks this last summer, did a lot of walking around those neighborhoods, didn't spot any foxtails but I did see a few mangoes and bananas, even a good size fruiting banana. 

No, it has survived even winters like 2011 and 2014, which were worse; 2011 had just as low of temps, but with the added issue of winter precip in areas (and was followed by the worst drought in millenia), while 2014 had more frequent occurence of 20s/winter precipitation.

This winter was nothing compared to that. The palm will be fine.

Happened to be two blocks from it when I remembered this thread...

Not looking too good. Hopefully it shows some green in a few weeks...very impressive in person.

58bf88b49a62a_FT2.thumb.jpg.0c6ec78d80c4

FT1.thumb.jpg.e9e77bfddcdd6dd081c957abe2

On 3/7/2017, 10:30:02, Xenon said:

Happened to be two blocks from it when I remembered this thread...

Not looking too good. Hopefully it shows some green in a few weeks...very impressive in person.

58bf88b49a62a_FT2.thumb.jpg.0c6ec78d80c4

FT1.thumb.jpg.e9e77bfddcdd6dd081c957abe2

There is a chance. As the streetview shows, the palm was there for 2011 (the shot for that year is April, and you see it defoliated), which had absolute lows about as cold, but with more severe duration/manner of the cold (complete with winter precipitation in areas of the city/southern US).