Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ouch Western Gulf, You're Getting Hammered Right Now

94 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2017, 11:41:39, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

65Gallon potted CIDP 100% burned during the first cold spell but are already pushing green spears.  65G True dates are 100% burn and I think I lost at least a few. I keep hearing reports that dactyl are more hardy than CIDP but I'm not convinced.

 

 

 

Every measure of cold tolerance I've ever read say P dacty is a little more cold tolerant than CIDP, but I too have questioned this as it relates to recovery from a severe freeze.  I've been tracking results of an incredible cold even in St. George, UT a few years ago, temp got down around 0 a few nights in a row, a very rare event there.  Almost all the mature P dacty's that I know of around town died, a few survived, however there are a handful of CIDP's around town that I have been watching since the 90's.  Judging from google street view, traffic cams, etc.  All the ones I know of survived, beat back big time for sure, but they're alive.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Every measure of cold tolerance I've ever read say P dacty is a little more cold tolerant than CIDP, but I too have questioned this as it relates to recovery from a severe freeze.  I've been tracking results of an incredible cold even in St. George, UT a few years ago, temp got down around 0 a few nights in a row, a very rare event there.  Almost all the mature P dacty's that I know of around town died, a few survived, however there are a handful of CIDP's around town that I have been watching since the 90's.  Judging from google street view, traffic cams, etc.  All the ones I know of survived, beat back big time for sure, but they're alive.

In recent freezes the CIDP has come out on the bottom of that contest with the dacts certainly showing less damage.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, _Keith said:

In recent freezes the CIDP has come out on the bottom of that contest with the dacts certainly showing less damage.

 

I think it's well documented that CIDP starts showing damage at higher temps. What I question is that in a 100% defoliation event, the CIDP might be more likely to recover, at least in certain climates.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, cidp burns first but seems to survive colder and definitely wetter extremes. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a confidence booster to those in Houston growing tropicals: the foxtail palm in the street-view I am about to show you has survived even the winter of 2011 (albeit with defoliation), which saw winter precip and low 20s in many areas of metro Houston. The sheer cold days this winter, in comparison, were minimal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.742024,-95.3957742,3a,75y,280.52h,82.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sACdUgm0Aj7kCFJh0kZ-2FA!2e0!5s20160501T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Edited by AnTonY
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Just as a confidence booster to those in Houston growing tropicals: the foxtail palm in the street-view I am about to show you has survived even the winter of 2011 (albeit with defoliation), which saw winter precip and low 20s in many areas of metro Houston. The sheer cold days this winter, in comparison, were minimal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.742024,-95.3957742,3a,75y,280.52h,82.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sACdUgm0Aj7kCFJh0kZ-2FA!2e0!5s20160501T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Nice find! Going to have to check it out soon...

Saw some huge (but possibly dead) plumeria trunks in the area (towards Buffalo Bayou)...also some Schefflera arboricola growing under an overhang weren't defoliated at all. 

Edited by Xenon
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017, 4:22:53, Xenon said:

Nice find! Going to have to check it out soon...

Saw some huge (but possibly dead) plumeria trunks in the area (towards Buffalo Bayou)...also some Schefflera arboricola growing under an overhang weren't defoliated at all. 

Yes, Yupon street, right in Montrose. Something I've always noticed while in Houston is that the areas inside the Beltway are more "clever" and "experimental" in their gardening than areas outside. I guess it comes with the culture.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017, 12:06:12, AnTonY said:

Just as a confidence booster to those in Houston growing tropicals: the foxtail palm in the street-view I am about to show you has survived even the winter of 2011 (albeit with defoliation), which saw winter precip and low 20s in many areas of metro Houston. The sheer cold days this winter, in comparison, were minimal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.742024,-95.3957742,3a,75y,280.52h,82.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sACdUgm0Aj7kCFJh0kZ-2FA!2e0!5s20160501T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Wow! Great find even though that thing is probably toast after this winter. I stayed in the Montrose area for a couple weeks this last summer, did a lot of walking around those neighborhoods, didn't spot any foxtails but I did see a few mangoes and bananas, even a good size fruiting banana. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Wow! Great find even though that thing is probably toast after this winter. I stayed in the Montrose area for a couple weeks this last summer, did a lot of walking around those neighborhoods, didn't spot any foxtails but I did see a few mangoes and bananas, even a good size fruiting banana. 

No, it has survived even winters like 2011 and 2014, which were worse; 2011 had just as low of temps, but with the added issue of winter precip in areas (and was followed by the worst drought in millenia), while 2014 had more frequent occurence of 20s/winter precipitation.

This winter was nothing compared to that. The palm will be fine.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happened to be two blocks from it when I remembered this thread...

Not looking too good. Hopefully it shows some green in a few weeks...very impressive in person.

58bf88b49a62a_FT2.thumb.jpg.0c6ec78d80c4

FT1.thumb.jpg.e9e77bfddcdd6dd081c957abe2

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017, 10:30:02, Xenon said:

Happened to be two blocks from it when I remembered this thread...

Not looking too good. Hopefully it shows some green in a few weeks...very impressive in person.

58bf88b49a62a_FT2.thumb.jpg.0c6ec78d80c4

FT1.thumb.jpg.e9e77bfddcdd6dd081c957abe2

There is a chance. As the streetview shows, the palm was there for 2011 (the shot for that year is April, and you see it defoliated), which had absolute lows about as cold, but with more severe duration/manner of the cold (complete with winter precipitation in areas of the city/southern US).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: the palm was axed a while back 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:(

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:violin:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Similar Content

    • Good Idea or Bad Idea?
      By jibit3
      Last year we lost a mature queen palm to the freeze and I am trying to prevent losing my last Queen Palm. The heart had frozen and subsequently rotted from the inside out before. In an attempt to protect my last queen palm from the freeze rolling through Louisiana, I took some preventative measures which may or may not have been a good idea.
      Because Christmas just past, I left my LED Christmas lights wrapped around my palm tree. I then took two moving blankets and wrapped the palm from the head of the tree to the roots Then I wrapped a tarp around the moving blankets. The tarp prevents the majority of the water from a rain from reaching the moving blankets, but it is not water tight. The tarp is loose enough that if water does reach the blankets from the head or base of the palm that can hopefully escape during the day.For example, I can reach my arm under the tarp mid way up the trunk to feel if the moving blankets are wet. Most of the time the blankets are dry, but sometimes they are slightly wet. The Palm has been wrapped this way for ten days now.
      I have included attachments which include a picture of the palm tree when healthy during the summer, current picture of the palm tree now and the ten day weather forecast for my area. It looks like will be below freezing Tuesday and Wednesday.
      Should I stay the course or take alternative actions?
      Thank you everyone for your knowledge, wisdom and time as it is greatly appreciated.
       
       



    • Winter solstice 2017
      By Tracy
      I thought it worth noting that it's the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere today.  I like to celebrate the fact that after this, the days get longer even though autumn has come to a close and cold winter has arrived.  I'm sure my friends in the southern hemisphere are excited at the arrival of their summer today as well!  The good news locally was that we actually got rain in my part of Southern California which was a welcome break after a very dry late autumn which correlated to all the fires.  I haven't looked at weather maps to see if Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties were so lucky as to receive some rainfall, but I know it would be a helpful respite in fighting the fires.  The locally bad news is the clearing winds from the system passing which turned into a Santa Ana (dry offshore winds.  This will not help firefighters. 
      My garden doesn't seem to mind that it is now winter, it has just sloooowed doooooown a bit on the growth with the cooler night temps and shorter days.  How is your garden doing this winter solstice?
    • Snow in the South
      By PalmTreeDude
      Well this is interesting... How Is everything fairing? We have light flurries right now and may get more, but temps are not suppose to go below 30 degrees F.
       



    • Hemiepiphytes for somewhat cold zones? (7b)
      By jb1336
      Looking for Hemiepiphytes for zone 7b. I was thinking of wightia speciosissima but I don't know any sources or their hardiness.
    • 2017-2018 Winter Continental U.S.
      By Opal92
      Wondering what this winter is going to be like.
      I just noticed on the forecast some significant cold coming in to my area, and it's just not one night. It's coming!

      Everyone- feel free to use this thread for 17'-18' winter reports/data/discussion.