• Announcements

    • PRIVATE MESSAGING - IMPORTANT NOTICE   01/02/2017

      There has been some confusion regarding the Messaging System on PalmTalk - and what is private and what is posted publicly. I've been asked to explain the two. There are two forms of messages - what I will call "Private Messages" which are Private, and "Activity Messages" which are public. A Private Message is designated with an envelope icon. It is available at the top of every page (click it and use "Compose New"). It is also accessible by hovering over a User's name or Avatar and clicking the envelope icon. Or it is also available on a User's Profile Page - at the top - again, with the envelope icon. Anywhere you see this envelope icon, you can click it and send a Private Message. An "Activity Message" is public. These are the "What's on your Mind" and "Leave a Message on [User X's] Feed" boxes where you can leave a public message directly as a Status Update (on your Profile or Main PT Page) or on a User's Profile Page - which updates his Status Update and also posts on PT's Main Status Update Page. These are "Activities" and labeled as such on the Profile Pages.  What is confusing is that both options (Private and Activity) are available on a User's Profile Page.  Just remember, that if you want to send a Private Message, use the envelope icon link - wherever you see it. That will get you to the Private Messaging Center. Any other "Status Update," like "What's on your Mind," or "Leave a Message on [so-and-so's] Feed," is public. I would make it less confusing if I could, but I can't.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ouch Western Gulf, You're Getting Hammered Right Now

73 posts in this topic

Takes time for damage to fully manifest itself after a good freeze, I'll be interested to get the full report in the coming weeks. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2017, 8:17:35, Xenon said:

Very bad...already 29F here at 8 pm...forecast for a low of 24F. Anyways my tropical fruit trees are screwed :lol:...fabric cover without heat isn't going to do much. Even Brownsville is forecast for 30F...looks like the coast will be spared due to the warm water (surf temp at SPI was 70F yesterday). 

 

What kind of fruit trees are you growing?  My neighbors mango looks fine but I have no idea how cold tolerant they are. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, topwater said:

What kind of fruit trees are you growing?  My neighbors mango looks fine but I have no idea how cold tolerant they are. 

My mango and guava definitely don't look fine even with heavy covering and lights, duration of cold was too long. They were planted last summer...was hoping for a few mild winters to get them established. Really hoping some of the wood on the Nam Doc Mai mango is still alive. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, that's just bad luck to have planted them this summer.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is that warm weather is in store for the foreseeable future, going through the forecast range. Rain chances occur in some days, so that can help get some new growth started, to ease the carnage that may have happened this winter (still need to check).

The Gulf Freeway is interesting:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.727472,-95.3368179,3a,15y,103.01h,97.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGZNchPZo0mX_CEboQFR2ow!2e0!5s20160601T000000!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7270837,-95.3367655,3a,75y,208.02h,95.97t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGPPCGWw82lb8Ais6O80kog!2e0!5s20160601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Xenon said:

My mango and guava definitely don't look fine even with heavy covering and lights, duration of cold was too long. They were planted last summer...was hoping for a few mild winters to get them established. Really hoping some of the wood on the Nam Doc Mai mango is still alive. 

Try mounding as high as you can with dirt and mulch to protect the graft.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda good news - It looks like I may now know what kind of winter it takes to burn brahea armata and Trithrinax campestris.

Bad news- If brahea armata burn everything else is a giant mess.  I have a feeling that spring will rack up quite the death toll of potted/containerized plants around here.

Nothing like going from 75F to 13F back to 79F degrees in a few days to brown things out even more than they were before.  Many of my brahea, JxB all grew 4-5" of spear during the Christmas break.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went around downtown today...damage was not as bad as I was expecting. Phoenix roebelenii has some moderate bronzing but not totally defoliated. The one Bismarckia I saw was undamaged. Ravenea rivularis have some spotty discoloration, but there is definitely some green left and spears are tight. I wonder if any of the Wodyetia bifurcata will make it...didn't see any today. 

Tropicals like Philodendron selluom, Monstera deliciosa, Schefflera arboricola, Ficus, bougainvillea, bananas etc are totally defoliated. Strelitzia nicolai looks a little bit better and Strelitzia reginae only minor to moderate damage. Most citrus appear to be fine. Very minor/no damage on Yucca elephantipes and Aloe vera. 

Edited by Xenon
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Went around downtown today...damage was not as bad as I was expecting. Phoenix roebelenii has some moderate bronzing but not totally defoliated. The one Bismarckia I saw was undamaged. Ravenea rivularis have some spotty discoloration, but there is definitely some green left and spears are tight. I wonder if any of the Wodyetia bifurcata will make it...didn't see any today. 

Tropicals like Philodendron selluom, Monstera deliciosa, Schefflera arboricola, Ficus, bougainvillea, bananas etc are totally defoliated. Strelitzia nicolai looks a little bit better and Strelitzia reginae only minor to moderate damage. Most citrus appear to be fine. Very minor/no damage on Yucca elephantipes and Aloe vera. 

I have a feeling that things will look a little different at the end of the week after 4-5 day just shy of 80F.  My mule looked completely untouched for 10 days this year before finally showing 70% burn. After this last drop in temp i dont think it will make it. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is turning out to be pretty bad. After two days in the upper 70s larger butia 4-6' of trunk) at the nursery are showing a lot of burn and crispy spear and so are the smaller jubaea. This last dip burned the spears of all the silver med fans including large mature ones. All of the green med fans will be defoliated. Now the smaller california fan palms in the ground are burning and will probably all spear pull as well.  Saw palmettos spear pulled today as well. 

Only palms with zero burn are mature JXBf1, trunking jubaea, nannorhorps ritcheana (in a 65g pot outside), sabal minor, sabal mexicana and sanal blackburnia. Mules will be dead, brahea decumbens will be dead, any butia in a pot smaller than 25g, probably all potted filifera and some med fans-dead. Butia eriospatha, brahea brandegeei probably dead too. Smaller trithrinax campestris will die too. Worst.winter.ever for us. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest surprise is a dyckia "cherry coke" that we got from tom broome. Completely unscathed and a few feet from a dead campestris, mature burned silver med fans and an ultra healthy jubaea that now has a brown spear. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

This is turning out to be pretty bad. After two days in the upper 70s larger butia 4-6' of trunk) at the nursery are showing a lot of burn and crispy spear and so are the smaller jubaea. This last dip burned the spears of all the silver med fans including large mature ones. All of the green med fans will be defoliated. Now the smaller california fan palms in the ground are burning and will probably all spear pull as well.  Saw palmettos spear pulled today as well. 

Only palms with zero burn are mature JXBf1, trunking jubaea, nannorhorps ritcheana (in a 65g pot outside), sabal minor, sabal mexicana and sanal blackburnia. Mules will be dead, brahea decumbens will be dead, any butia in a pot smaller than 25g, probably all potted filifera and some med fans-dead. Butia eriospatha, brahea brandegeei probably dead too. Smaller trithrinax campestris will die too. Worst.winter.ever for us. 

Sorry to hear the news. What is the hardiness zone number of the area where you have those palms?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

This is turning out to be pretty bad. After two days in the upper 70s larger butia 4-6' of trunk) at the nursery are showing a lot of burn and crispy spear and so are the smaller jubaea. This last dip burned the spears of all the silver med fans including large mature ones. All of the green med fans will be defoliated. Now the smaller california fan palms in the ground are burning and will probably all spear pull as well.  Saw palmettos spear pulled today as well. 

Only palms with zero burn are mature JXBf1, trunking jubaea, nannorhorps ritcheana (in a 65g pot outside), sabal minor, sabal mexicana and sanal blackburnia. Mules will be dead, brahea decumbens will be dead, any butia in a pot smaller than 25g, probably all potted filifera and some med fans-dead. Butia eriospatha, brahea brandegeei probably dead too. Smaller trithrinax campestris will die too. Worst.winter.ever for us. 

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I think we are all hoping the winter of 16/17 will soon be in the rear view mirror.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All in all, North America is turning out to be a very scary continent for tropical plant lovers...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Sorry to hear the news. What is the hardiness zone number of the area where you have those palms?

Strong 8a. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brutal for Dallas... Sorry to hear about that.

Really surprised the difference you can tell from just driving from downtown Houston to my area in Magnolia (about 30 Miles northwest of downtown).   Near the Galleria where I work downtown, there is minimal visible damage to Mexican fans.  By the time you get about 15 miles northwest of town (near the beltway on 290) you start to see some burn on the leaf tips.  Then in my area all W. Robusta's are 100% severely bronzed, most small queen palms completely killed.   I saw 19 for two nights in a row and well over 30 hours of below freezing temperatures along with some freezing rain to start.

I had a pretty rough go as most of my plants went into the ground in early June when I moved... here is the report, and size when it went in the ground.  Some of these I knew wouldn't make it and were just "annuals" or hopefully was going to have them for a couple years at least.

Dead/Likely Dead:

Silver Queens 15 gallon (unprotected)  -- 100% defoliated... some chance they could live, but doesn't look good

Livistona Muelleri 5 gallon (unprotected)-- Looked good initially, then 100% burned and spear pull.. dead.

Dypsis Onilahensis  3 gallon (covered with bucket) - 100% burn and mush.

Archontopheonix Tuckeri 5 gallon. (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  Immediate 100% crispy burn. 

Syagrus Schizophylla 15 Gallon and 5 Gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth). 100% burn by day 2, goner. 

Attalea Cohune 5 gallon. (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth) 80% burn... might make it. 

Jubeopsis Caffra 5 gallon.  (covered with garbage can) 100% burn by day 2.

Beccariophoenix Alfredii 5 gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  100% burn by 2 days after freeze

Things that survived:

Dypsis Decipiens ~7 Gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  Newly opening spear about 80% burned, no damage to older leaves or emerging spear.

Mule Palms (numerous sizes, unprotected).  Minor leaf spotting so far, but look mostly untouched.

Sabal Uresana, Sabal Blackburniana, Sabal Texana  zero damage, no protection.

Needle Palm -  zero damage, no protection

Butia Eriospatha 15 gallon  - zero damage, no protection

Butia Odorata 15 gallon - zero damage, no protection

Bismarckia 5 gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth) -- no apparent damage

Brahea Armata 15 gallon - zero damage, no protection

Phoenix loureiroi, reclinata and dactylifera all 5-15 gallon -- zero damage, no protection

Have several Patric Shafer hybrids in ground that all did well..

BXJXJ -- 1 Gallon, covered with garbage can, no damage.

JXB -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

JXBXS -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, some leaf spotting, but minimal

Butia ParaguayensisXQueen -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

Jubaea X Syagrus --15 gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, some minor but noticeable leaf spotting on most leaves

Butix X PJC -- 1 gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

Nannorrhops Ritchiana -- 1 gallon, no protection, no damage

I am probably forgetting quite a few here... but hey, this list is big enough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OUCH

OUCH

OUCH

OUCH

Keep us apprized. This will add to the body of information.

(ouch!)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Brutal for Dallas... Sorry to hear about that.

Really surprised the difference you can tell from just driving from downtown Houston to my area in Magnolia (about 30 Miles northwest of downtown).   Near the Galleria where I work downtown, there is minimal visible damage to Mexican fans.  By the time you get about 15 miles northwest of town (near the beltway on 290) you start to see some burn on the leaf tips.  Then in my area all W. Robusta's are 100% severely bronzed, most small queen palms completely killed.   I saw 19 for two nights in a row and well over 30 hours of below freezing temperatures along with some freezing rain to start.

I had a pretty rough go as most of my plants went into the ground in early June when I moved... here is the report, and size when it went in the ground.  Some of these I knew wouldn't make it and were just "annuals" or hopefully was going to have them for a couple years at least.

Dead/Likely Dead:

Silver Queens 15 gallon (unprotected)  -- 100% defoliated... some chance they could live, but doesn't look good

Livistona Muelleri 5 gallon (unprotected)-- Looked good initially, then 100% burned and spear pull.. dead.

Dypsis Onilahensis  3 gallon (covered with bucket) - 100% burn and mush.

Archontopheonix Tuckeri 5 gallon. (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  Immediate 100% crispy burn. 

Syagrus Schizophylla 15 Gallon and 5 Gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth). 100% burn by day 2, goner. 

Attalea Cohune 5 gallon. (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth) 80% burn... might make it. 

Jubeopsis Caffra 5 gallon.  (covered with garbage can) 100% burn by day 2.

Beccariophoenix Alfredii 5 gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  100% burn by 2 days after freeze

Things that survived:

Dypsis Decipiens ~7 Gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  Newly opening spear about 80% burned, no damage to older leaves or emerging spear.

Mule Palms (numerous sizes, unprotected).  Minor leaf spotting so far, but look mostly untouched.

Sabal Uresana, Sabal Blackburniana, Sabal Texana  zero damage, no protection.

Needle Palm -  zero damage, no protection

Butia Eriospatha 15 gallon  - zero damage, no protection

Butia Odorata 15 gallon - zero damage, no protection

Bismarckia 5 gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth) -- no apparent damage

Brahea Armata 15 gallon - zero damage, no protection

Phoenix loureiroi, reclinata and dactylifera all 5-15 gallon -- zero damage, no protection

Have several Patric Shafer hybrids in ground that all did well..

BXJXJ -- 1 Gallon, covered with garbage can, no damage.

JXB -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

JXBXS -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, some leaf spotting, but minimal

Butia ParaguayensisXQueen -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

Jubaea X Syagrus --15 gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, some minor but noticeable leaf spotting on most leaves

Butix X PJC -- 1 gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

Nannorrhops Ritchiana -- 1 gallon, no protection, no damage

I am probably forgetting quite a few here... but hey, this list is big enough.

Sorry to hear about all the damage, on the plus side it sounds like you've got a really great collection, especially since you recently moved there. This should give you a good gauge of what can make it more long term.  Some of your palms that made it with little or damage is really encouraging also, hope they don't continue to manifest more damage going forward. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really impressed Bismarckia could take two nights of 19f.  It may turn out to be a solid 9a palm in Houston. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topwater said:

Really impressed Bismarckia could take two nights of 19f.  It may turn out to be a solid 9a palm in Houston. 

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldnt have guessed a bismarkia would survive a freeze that killed queens.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reclinata survived the freeze?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, topwater said:

Really impressed Bismarckia could take two nights of 19f.  It may turn out to be a solid 9a palm in Houston. 

I'm really impressed by this also!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, meteorologistpalmguy said:

Brutal for Dallas... Sorry to hear about that.

Really surprised the difference you can tell from just driving from downtown Houston to my area in Magnolia (about 30 Miles northwest of downtown).   Near the Galleria where I work downtown, there is minimal visible damage to Mexican fans.  By the time you get about 15 miles northwest of town (near the beltway on 290) you start to see some burn on the leaf tips.  Then in my area all W. Robusta's are 100% severely bronzed, most small queen palms completely killed.   I saw 19 for two nights in a row and well over 30 hours of below freezing temperatures along with some freezing rain to start.

I had a pretty rough go as most of my plants went into the ground in early June when I moved... here is the report, and size when it went in the ground.  Some of these I knew wouldn't make it and were just "annuals" or hopefully was going to have them for a couple years at least.

Dead/Likely Dead:

Silver Queens 15 gallon (unprotected)  -- 100% defoliated... some chance they could live, but doesn't look good

Livistona Muelleri 5 gallon (unprotected)-- Looked good initially, then 100% burned and spear pull.. dead.

Dypsis Onilahensis  3 gallon (covered with bucket) - 100% burn and mush.

Archontopheonix Tuckeri 5 gallon. (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  Immediate 100% crispy burn. 

Syagrus Schizophylla 15 Gallon and 5 Gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth). 100% burn by day 2, goner. 

Attalea Cohune 5 gallon. (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth) 80% burn... might make it. 

Jubeopsis Caffra 5 gallon.  (covered with garbage can) 100% burn by day 2.

Beccariophoenix Alfredii 5 gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  100% burn by 2 days after freeze

Things that survived:

Dypsis Decipiens ~7 Gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth).  Newly opening spear about 80% burned, no damage to older leaves or emerging spear.

Mule Palms (numerous sizes, unprotected).  Minor leaf spotting so far, but look mostly untouched.

Sabal Uresana, Sabal Blackburniana, Sabal Texana  zero damage, no protection.

Needle Palm -  zero damage, no protection

Butia Eriospatha 15 gallon  - zero damage, no protection

Butia Odorata 15 gallon - zero damage, no protection

Bismarckia 5 gallon (covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth) -- no apparent damage

Brahea Armata 15 gallon - zero damage, no protection

Phoenix loureiroi, reclinata and dactylifera all 5-15 gallon -- zero damage, no protection

Have several Patric Shafer hybrids in ground that all did well..

BXJXJ -- 1 Gallon, covered with garbage can, no damage.

JXB -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

JXBXS -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, some leaf spotting, but minimal

Butia ParaguayensisXQueen -- 1 Gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

Jubaea X Syagrus --15 gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, some minor but noticeable leaf spotting on most leaves

Butix X PJC -- 1 gallon, covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth, no damage

Nannorrhops Ritchiana -- 1 gallon, no protection, no damage

I am probably forgetting quite a few here... but hey, this list is big enough.

Where did you find such an eclectic mix of palms in the Houston area?  I'm impressed, even worse, envious. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the queens are fried, but they were also not protected in any way.  There is one other very mature queen down the road that didn't seem terribly damaged, but mine were freshly planted.   The Bismarckia was at least covered with a fairly heavy weight frost cloth.  We shall see if it just has a delayed response to the cold, but it still looks good as if this afternoon.

As far as where I got most of my palms... not locally for most!  Combination of getting from Ebay, Jungle Music, and a few other places along the Gulf Coast that I would raid on a road trip.  Many of these were at my previous house a little closer to Houston and I transplanted when I moved in early June.

Funny thing is the apparently cold hardy Bismarckia is actually from my March trip to South Florida (Redland Nursery in Homestead).

The damage is a bummer, but I am alright with thinning the herd and not worrying when the next cold hits.  Have a bunch of Sabal (Brazoria, Riverside, Uresana) and about 40 tiny mules grown from seed and 4 more Patric hybrids waiting for homes in the spring that will gladly go where the palm corpses currently sit.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Reclinata survived the freeze?

Yep... though I did notice a little discoloration this afternoon.  There is a monster clump of Reclinata at Mercer Gardens and it seems like it has thrived through numerous Houston cold episodes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, topwater said:

Where did you find such an eclectic mix of palms in the Houston area?  I'm impressed, even worse, envious. 

A lot of those hybrids are great choices for Houston, why in the world aren't there nurseries that carry that kind of stuff in Houston? The population is huge, I would think business would be great for something new instead of just planting more washies everywhere.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some casualties on my patio. Mostly aloes that melted, Schefflera actinophylla in a pot that got decimated.

I found Ed's weather maps really interesting. The first night the whole off Houston suffered. Only the southeast side from Hobby down to the coast saw much relief from the low 20s, and even then I suspect they were below freezing for 12+ hours. The second night much of inner city Houston stayed at or above freezing, whereas the western and northern suburbs went back down to the low 20s. I guess the urban heat effect was able to overcome the radiational freeze but not the preceding advective freeze.

With all that said, I didn't see a huge difference between inner city Houston and Sugar Land (where my parents live) yesterday. Philodendrons and Ficus elastica melted everywhere. I only saw a few large queens with minor burn. I saw a large Bismarck palm in an exposed position that looked completely unfazed in a yard with melted Philodendron Xanadu. Curiously, my parent's Hong Kong orchid tree lost all of its leaves, but I think many of its branches will survive. In contrast, a couple of Jacarandas are leaking sap and will probably see a big die back. Our Ceiba speciosa is about 15 feet tall and probably lost the top 5 feet and branches, but the lower 10 feet looks fine. Finally, a Yucca elephantipes got leaf burn but should pull through.

My parents have two small greenhouses that were unheated. Almost everything inside, including columnar euphorbias, numerous kalachoes and bromeliads, look completely fine. A few plumeria defoliated.

Interesting times. I think my take away is, it continues to be worth growing a lot of tropicals if you can protect them. And by protection I mean enclosures +/- heating. Growing stuff near your house won't save you from this kind of cold. 

Edited by necturus
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bummer is we still have another month and a half of winter.  Does anyone have an idea what the long term forecast looks like?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topwater said:

The bummer is we still have another month and a half of winter.  Does anyone have an idea what the long term forecast looks like?

Nothing but coconut weather for the foreseeable future. I don't usually link to those hardcore WX forums (too much nutty cold-lovers), but they do have the technicalities: atmospheric models suggest an upper trough may develop down through the Western US, which may bring cooler weather.

On the other hand, on average, the coldest of winter is usually passed beyond mid January or so around Houston:
http://assets.climatecentral.org/images/uploads/news/1_8_15_News_ColdestDay.jpg

And the average last freeze is from late January to early February; thus, by the first weeks of February, spring typically is getting started in Houston. Winter cold can still happen, but the chances are unreliable compared to January. Thus, once can say with considerable confidence that winter ends beyond the 1st week of February.

Edited by AnTonY
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

Nothing but coconut weather for the foreseeable future. I don't usually link to those hardcore WX forums (too much nutty cold-lovers), but they do have the technicalities: atmospheric models suggest an upper trough may develop down through the Western US, which may bring cooler weather.

On the other hand, on average, the coldest of winter is usually passed beyond mid January or so around Houston:
http://assets.climatecentral.org/images/uploads/news/1_8_15_News_ColdestDay.jpg

And the average last freeze is from late January to early February; thus, by the first weeks of February, spring typically is getting started in Houston. Winter cold can still happen, but the chances are unreliable compared to January. Thus, once can say with considerable confidence that winter ends beyond the 1st week of February.

That's a really cool graphic. Kind of gives the visual of how the West experiences it's coldest days in Dec.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorCalKing said:

That's a really cool graphic. Kind of gives the visual of how the West experiences it's coldest days in Dec.

I've always did notice a West-East progression in cold throughout winter. Even in Texas, I notice that all the amplified cold shots that happen in December are focused on the state, only for that apex to seemingly move east come January/February. Of course, the cold shots still happen in Texas, but, the do seem more "potent" earlier in winter than later.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2017, 3:30:09, Xenon said:

Wonder what those large papayas near Agnes Arnold will look like lol. Other than some nice Monstera vines, I haven't really found anything too tender on campus. 

 

The papaya stems still look strong, but the foliage is wilted. I'll get some pictures when the weather is drier.

But, in order for those things to get so large, they had to have survived winters like 2010, 2011, and 2014, which saw temps just as cold/even colder, and with longer cold duration.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

The papaya stems still look strong, but the foliage is wilted. I'll get some pictures when the weather is drier.

But, in order for those things to get so large, they had to have survived winters like 2010, 2011, and 2014, which saw temps just as cold/even colder, and with longer cold duration.

Checked today and there's already some new growth sprouting from the lower parts of the stem.

I think this year was pretty bad, not this much burn on Livistona chinensis and queen palms since 2010. Dramatic decline as you head west...west of TX-99, palms look like they got nuked (Washies included). Southwest Houston looks pretty bad too. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Similar Content

    • European winter 2016/2017
      By Exotic Life
      What will this winter bring in Europe this time? 
      Please post what is happening over at your place this winter. 

      The last few winters were really mild for us here in northern Europe, so hard to get even milder winters.
      Winter 2013/2014 was even frostfree for me, last two winters had some frosty moments but mostly around -1C for a few hours exept, beside a few nights which were colder.

      This november has been quite average and had some frost as well, last weekend I recorded -3 and -4 and also this weekend looks a bit frosty. Long term is evolving again to a mild episode with temperatures in the double figures, it is however impossible to beat the last year mediterrean look a like winter. 
    • Climate Standard Deviation
      By Xerarch
      I think the standard deviation of a climate is an important consideration when analyzing its' characteristics. I've never seen anyone directly mention standard deviation as a factor but I think we all know the potential implications, not all zones of the same type/number are created equal. 
      Consider Brownsville Texas, a zone 10a, similar to much of central coastal Florida right? But the all time record low in Brownsville is a whopping 12* F! That's 8a, two full zones lower than average, if you were to actually plot out all the lows I image in you would get a wide deviation in general. On the opposite end of the spectrum, consider Key West Florida, a zone 11b. The all time record low is 41*F, only 1/2 zone lower than the average yearly low. 
      I would love to see some work done on this, along with the USDA number, also see some kind of quantification of the standard deviation, it might make it easier to estimate just how much chance your favorite Palm might have. Not all zones of the same number are created equal, this would be a good metric to differentiate them a little more. 
    • AAAAA - Get Ready For The Winter!
      By PalmTreeDude
      Who is ready for the winter? I am not, especially not in Virginia! But it is a great opportunity to collect freeze data, like every winter. If you protect palms, what palms are you protecting this winter and how?
    • Get Ready For The Winter!
      By PalmTreeDude
      Who is ready for the winter? I am not, especially not in Virginia! But it is a great opportunity to collect freeze data, like every winter. If you protect palms, what palms are you protecting this winter and how?
    • Why aren't Filiferas fruiting?
      By pennerchris@gmail.com
      Over the last few years, I've been paying close attention to the large Filiferas that I find around the Lubbock area (from Hobbs, NM, to Snyder, TX). Most of the ones I'm tracking get  no winter protection, and they see 10f or below every few years (down to 3f in 2011)-- so I'm pretty sure that they're pure Filiferas. 
      I'd love to collect some seeds from these palms and share them with y'all, but I have yet to find a single plant that's fruited.
      Does anyone know why a large Filifera wouldn't be fruiting?