IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ouch Western Gulf, You're Getting Hammered Right Now

Xerarch

On 1/31/2017, 11:41:39, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

65Gallon potted CIDP 100% burned during the first cold spell but are already pushing green spears.  65G True dates are 100% burn and I think I lost at least a few. I keep hearing reports that dactyl are more hardy than CIDP but I'm not convinced.

Every measure of cold tolerance I've ever read say P dacty is a little more cold tolerant than CIDP, but I too have questioned this as it relates to recovery from a severe freeze.  I've been tracking results of an incredible cold even in St. George, UT a few years ago, temp got down around 0 a few nights in a row, a very rare event there.  Almost all the mature P dacty's that I know of around town died, a few survived, however there are a handful of CIDP's around town that I have been watching since the 90's.  Judging from google street view, traffic cams, etc.  All the ones I know of survived, beat back big time for sure, but they're alive.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

3 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Every measure of cold tolerance I've ever read say P dacty is a little more cold tolerant than CIDP, but I too have questioned this as it relates to recovery from a severe freeze.  I've been tracking results of an incredible cold even in St. George, UT a few years ago, temp got down around 0 a few nights in a row, a very rare event there.  Almost all the mature P dacty's that I know of around town died, a few survived, however there are a handful of CIDP's around town that I have been watching since the 90's.  Judging from google street view, traffic cams, etc.  All the ones I know of survived, beat back big time for sure, but they're alive.

In recent freezes the CIDP has come out on the bottom of that contest with the dacts certainly showing less damage.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

7 hours ago, _Keith said:

In recent freezes the CIDP has come out on the bottom of that contest with the dacts certainly showing less damage.

I think it's well documented that CIDP starts showing damage at higher temps. What I question is that in a 100% defoliation event, the CIDP might be more likely to recover, at least in certain climates.  

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a confidence booster to those in Houston growing tropicals: the foxtail palm in the street-view I am about to show you has survived even the winter of 2011 (albeit with defoliation), which saw winter precip and low 20s in many areas of metro Houston. The sheer cold days this winter, in comparison, were minimal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.742024,-95.3957742,3a,75y,280.52h,82.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sACdUgm0Aj7kCFJh0kZ-2FA!2e0!5s20160501T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Edited by AnTonY
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Just as a confidence booster to those in Houston growing tropicals: the foxtail palm in the street-view I am about to show you has survived even the winter of 2011 (albeit with defoliation), which saw winter precip and low 20s in many areas of metro Houston. The sheer cold days this winter, in comparison, were minimal.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.742024,-95.3957742,3a,75y,280.52h,82.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sACdUgm0Aj7kCFJh0kZ-2FA!2e0!5s20160501T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Nice find! Going to have to check it out soon...

Saw some huge (but possibly dead) plumeria trunks in the area (towards Buffalo Bayou)...also some Schefflera arboricola growing under an overhang weren't defoliated at all. 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 2/22/2017, 4:22:53, Xenon said:

Nice find! Going to have to check it out soon...

Saw some huge (but possibly dead) plumeria trunks in the area (towards Buffalo Bayou)...also some Schefflera arboricola growing under an overhang weren't defoliated at all. 

Yes, Yupon street, right in Montrose. Something I've always noticed while in Houston is that the areas inside the Beltway are more "clever" and "experimental" in their gardening than areas outside. I guess it comes with the culture.

On 2/22/2017, 12:06:12, AnTonY said:

Wow! Great find even though that thing is probably toast after this winter. I stayed in the Montrose area for a couple weeks this last summer, did a lot of walking around those neighborhoods, didn't spot any foxtails but I did see a few mangoes and bananas, even a good size fruiting banana. 

13 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Wow! Great find even though that thing is probably toast after this winter. I stayed in the Montrose area for a couple weeks this last summer, did a lot of walking around those neighborhoods, didn't spot any foxtails but I did see a few mangoes and bananas, even a good size fruiting banana. 

No, it has survived even winters like 2011 and 2014, which were worse; 2011 had just as low of temps, but with the added issue of winter precip in areas (and was followed by the worst drought in millenia), while 2014 had more frequent occurence of 20s/winter precipitation.

This winter was nothing compared to that. The palm will be fine.

Happened to be two blocks from it when I remembered this thread...

Not looking too good. Hopefully it shows some green in a few weeks...very impressive in person.

58bf88b49a62a_FT2.thumb.jpg.0c6ec78d80c4

FT1.thumb.jpg.e9e77bfddcdd6dd081c957abe2

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 3/7/2017, 10:30:02, Xenon said:

Happened to be two blocks from it when I remembered this thread...

Not looking too good. Hopefully it shows some green in a few weeks...very impressive in person.

58bf88b49a62a_FT2.thumb.jpg.0c6ec78d80c4

FT1.thumb.jpg.e9e77bfddcdd6dd081c957abe2

There is a chance. As the streetview shows, the palm was there for 2011 (the shot for that year is April, and you see it defoliated), which had absolute lows about as cold, but with more severe duration/manner of the cold (complete with winter precipitation in areas of the city/southern US).

• 3 months later...

:(