IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

jungle music potting mix recipe

palmad Merc

On 1/4/2017, 6:40:26, palmad Merc said:

I've read an article on jungle music about making potting mix for palms, as anyone tried this or similar?

Screenshot_2016-11-02-23-56-47.png

I tried my best to make this recipe last year when I was re-potting a few of my Dypsis Decaryi palms. However, my mix only consisted of top soil, peat moss, perlite, and sand. I can't seem to find pumice, humus, or 1/8 pine bark anywhere in my city. And do you by any chance know what makes "coarse" ingredients different from regular ones? 

I'm going to give this mixture another good try once spring begins.  If you try it, I'm interested to know how well your palms grow in it.

13 minutes ago, nitsua0895 said:

I tried my best to make this recipe last year when I was re-potting a few of my Dypsis Decaryi palms. However, my mix only consisted of top soil, peat moss, perlite, and sand. I can't seem to find pumice, humus, or 1/8 pine bark anywhere in my city. And do you by any chance know what makes "coarse" ingredients different from regular ones? 

I'm going to give this mixture another good try once spring begins.  If you try it, I'm interested to know how well your palms grow in it.

Coarse ingredients allow the soil to keep more oxygen without getting soggy. That is the reason why I am only using pine bark 2-8 mm, Seramis, and ±crushed LECA.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I concur with Pal. It is important to use rather coarse ingredients that do not decompose. Crushed LECA, pumica, crushed lava or Seramis will all work. The only disadvantage that those components have is that they do not hold a lot of water. So in order to achieve that you have to add some organic material, which - again - does not decompose too quickly. I use pine bark, peat or coco coir, because it is quite stable. BTW, I would never use sand, because it is not coarse enough.

The ratio depends on your climatic conditions and how often you can water. Most of these substrates need daily watering even during Mid European summers. For most palms, I use an 80% LECA, 20% pine bark mix. The hotter it gets and the less often you want to water, the more organic substrate you need to add. However, this also means the roots get less oxygen. The nice thing about these coarse mixes is, you cannot water too much or too often, even during winter.

• Upvote 1

Frank

On 5/1/2017, 2:40:26, palmad Merc said:

I've read an article on jungle music about making potting mix for palms, as anyone tried this or similar?

Screenshot_2016-11-02-23-56-47.png

What does the # symbol present?

I forgot to mention a concerning information I have had recently. Plants growing in porous media are more susceptible to scale attack on their root zone!

• Upvote 2