IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC JANUARY 21, 2017 BANQUET

DoomsDave

Annual PSSC Banquet
January 21, 2017
Balboa Park, San Diego

This year we are very fortunate to have our Annual Banquet in beautiful Balboa Park. Just north of our meeting room is the Palm Canyon which makes for a beautiful stroll and contains 58 species of palms. Further north is the Botanical Building, one of the largest lathe structures in the world. it houses over 2100 plants.

The banquet will start at 11:00 a.m. with lunch at 11;30 a.m.(There will be a board meeting at 10:00 a.m.) Garcia’s Restaurant will be catering and we are looking forward to a fine Italian luncheon. If
anyone has any food allergies or issues, please contact Mark Riedler and I will make arrangements with Garcias.

Don Martin will be our featured speaker and will regale us with his experience at the last IPS Biennial where he went to Singapore, Sarawak and Darwin, Australia.

We will have an auction at 1:30 p.m. and adjourn by 3:00 p.m. Be sure to stay til the end and be the one member who wins the beautiful Cyphophoenix elegans which will be raffled at closing.

The cost will be $45 per member. Please send payment to David Bleistein, PSSC Treasurer, at Box 6, La Habra, CA 90633-0006. You can also use PayPal to sign up online, http://palmssc.org/next-pssc-meeting-27/.

The Annual Banquet will be held at the Recital Hall Room in Balboa Park, San Diego. This is just south of the Organ Pavilion and Palm Garden in the Park. The Recital Hall is adjacent to the larger Balboa Park Room. There is free parking very close but the lot gets full as the day goes on. So, come earlyand parking is easier to find.

Balboa Park is between Park Blvd. and Sixth Ave. just north of Freeway 5 in downtown San Diego. But, so you don’t get lost, follow directions below.

Directions:

From the north, the easiest way is to take Fwy 5 south. Head toward San Diego. Before the Airport, exit east on Washington Ave. In about 2 miles turn right (south) on Fourth Ave. In about two miles turn left on Laurel. Continue and you enter Balboa Park. Laurel ends at an open Plaza where you must turn right. Continue right for about 1000 feet. Behind the International Cottages is the Balboa Park Club. We are in the Recital Hall next door. Parking is just south of this location.

From inland areas, take the Fwy 15 south. Merge on Fwy 163 South as you approach central San Diego (before freeway 8). Continue south on Fwy 163. Just past the intersection with Freeway 8, stay in the right hand lanes and exit 6th Ave. off Fwy 163 . Continue on 6th Ave. toLaurel, turn left and follow directions above.

From the south, take Freeway 5 north. Exit 6th Ave. north off the freeway near downtown. Continue for one mile to Laurel St., turning right and following directions above.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Pay Pal won't let you pay for more than 1 person. Will have to mail Dave a check for my wife.Actually on checking I've paid twice so I think I'm good

burt repine

Thanks for the reminder Burt, I'm paid up and in now. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good to see you both!

This is going to be a real party!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

It should be a nice banquet.  See you there.

BTW, rain is possible.  There is a drive by access road for dropping off people right in front of the meeting building.  The driver must then go about 100 feet to park.  Be aware, parking is easier the earlier you get there.  It's a public park and parking is at a premium.

Phil Bergman

• Upvote 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

On 1/6/2017, 8:41:10, OB Burt said:

Pay Pal won't let you pay for more than 1 person. Will have to mail Dave a check for my wife.Actually on checking I've paid twice so I think I'm good

I had the same problem, I had to pay twice.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

but it's still so very worth it?

yes?

Not like that would scare you!

Just wanted to say thanks to those involved putting it on this weekend. Great food, nice presentation, lots of great palms at auction and.... sparse attendance. :( 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good to see you Bill!

We had a lot of plants, and thanks to all who donated and bought.

13 hours ago, Hammer said:

Sorry I could not make it this year. :(

Missed you too!