Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PSSC JANUARY 21, 2017 BANQUET

12 posts in this topic

Annual PSSC Banquet
January 21, 2017
Balboa Park, San Diego

This year we are very fortunate to have our Annual Banquet in beautiful Balboa Park. Just north of our meeting room is the Palm Canyon which makes for a beautiful stroll and contains 58 species of palms. Further north is the Botanical Building, one of the largest lathe structures in the world. it houses over 2100 plants.

The banquet will start at 11:00 a.m. with lunch at 11;30 a.m.(There will be a board meeting at 10:00 a.m.) Garcia’s Restaurant will be catering and we are looking forward to a fine Italian luncheon. If
anyone has any food allergies or issues, please contact Mark Riedler and I will make arrangements with Garcias.

Don Martin will be our featured speaker and will regale us with his experience at the last IPS Biennial where he went to Singapore, Sarawak and Darwin, Australia.

We will have an auction at 1:30 p.m. and adjourn by 3:00 p.m. Be sure to stay til the end and be the one member who wins the beautiful Cyphophoenix elegans which will be raffled at closing.

The cost will be $45 per member. Please send payment to David Bleistein, PSSC Treasurer, at Box 6, La Habra, CA 90633-0006. You can also use PayPal to sign up online, http://palmssc.org/next-pssc-meeting-27/.

The Annual Banquet will be held at the Recital Hall Room in Balboa Park, San Diego. This is just south of the Organ Pavilion and Palm Garden in the Park. The Recital Hall is adjacent to the larger Balboa Park Room. There is free parking very close but the lot gets full as the day goes on. So, come earlyand parking is easier to find.

Balboa Park is between Park Blvd. and Sixth Ave. just north of Freeway 5 in downtown San Diego. But, so you don’t get lost, follow directions below.

Directions:

From the north, the easiest way is to take Fwy 5 south. Head toward San Diego. Before the Airport, exit east on Washington Ave. In about 2 miles turn right (south) on Fourth Ave. In about two miles turn left on Laurel. Continue and you enter Balboa Park. Laurel ends at an open Plaza where you must turn right. Continue right for about 1000 feet. Behind the International Cottages is the Balboa Park Club. We are in the Recital Hall next door. Parking is just south of this location.

From inland areas, take the Fwy 15 south. Merge on Fwy 163 South as you approach central San Diego (before freeway 8). Continue south on Fwy 163. Just past the intersection with Freeway 8, stay in the right hand lanes and exit 6th Ave. off Fwy 163 . Continue on 6th Ave. toLaurel, turn left and follow directions above.

From the south, take Freeway 5 north. Exit 6th Ave. north off the freeway near downtown. Continue for one mile to Laurel St., turning right and following directions above.

see you there :)

Pay Pal won't let you pay for more than 1 person. Will have to mail Dave a check for my wife.Actually on checking I've paid twice so I think I'm good

Thanks for the reminder Burt, I'm paid up and in now. :D

Good to see you both!

This is going to be a real party!

It should be a nice banquet.  See you there.

BTW, rain is possible.  There is a drive by access road for dropping off people right in front of the meeting building.  The driver must then go about 100 feet to park.  Be aware, parking is easier the earlier you get there.  It's a public park and parking is at a premium.

Phil Bergman

On 1/6/2017, 8:41:10, OB Burt said:

Pay Pal won't let you pay for more than 1 person. Will have to mail Dave a check for my wife.Actually on checking I've paid twice so I think I'm good

I had the same problem, I had to pay twice.

but it's still so very worth it?

yes?

Not like that would scare you!

Just wanted to say thanks to those involved putting it on this weekend. Great food, nice presentation, lots of great palms at auction and.... sparse attendance. :( 

Good to see you Bill!

We had a lot of plants, and thanks to all who donated and bought.

Sorry I could not make it this year. :(

13 hours ago, Hammer said:

Sorry I could not make it this year. :(

Missed you too!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Short video. The only day of rain we have had (until now) this winter.
      By GottmitAlex
      Video taken Jan 9th 2018 
      Rain began at noon lasted till dawn. We had a break right before 5pm, took this short quick video.
      Temps dipped to 8C/46F right before dawn the next day. So I turned on the IR heat lamps from 4pm (9th) till 9am (10th). It's probably overkill, but I must admit, this winter (knocking on wood), has been very benevolent with us. Days in the 70-80's and nights in the 50's. This time last year, I had the coconuts completely covered. I think last years winter rainfall was a record-setting one.  
      So far, I have set up the tarps only to deflect the cool rain from pelting directly onto the coconuts. 
       This weekend they're calling for 80's again.
      The video abruptly ends with with a bad shot of the 6-month old unprotected Adonidii merillii seedling. 
      As I said, a quick video. As of 1:20pm pst, we are at 24C/75.2F (Jan 11, 2018)

• Seeding time again.
      By GottmitAlex
      Well, now I can't kick the habit. It's that time of year again. I went to the supermarket in San Diego and I could not resist picking up four dehusked coconuts. Two dark and two "white". They all have the same brand. They're from Mexico. But this time they don't specify east or west coast. They're big. So they're the tall variety.
      Disclaimer: you can take coconuts into Mexico as part of ones' groceries.  

It's against my better judgment to germinate these little fellas, since I have no room to grow them. Here again, it's become a habit of mine. 
      I soaked them in a 5 gallon bucket. Two of them sank, almost instantly.  One white and one dark.  The other two floated. Yes, all were checked for cracks and made sure they had plenty slushing water inside before purchasing. 
      But let's see what happens.
      Here are the pics.they are now in my "greenhaus".

Btw, this winter hasn't had winter weather. We've been hitting mid 80's these past several days.
      It's 11am (pst) and we're at 81f.

• Leland Fletcher garden Palm Society of So California visit
      By Tracy
      I'm sure there are other photos, but thought I might share some of the highlights for me from Mr. Fletcher's garden.  Thank you to the PSSC for organizing the visit and Leland Fletcher for opening his garden.

• Sabal Growth Rate
      By The Steve
      I planted this as a big boxed palm, 3-4 years ago.  It's grown much faster than I had expected.  Photos maybe spaced a year apart?  It's about 30 inches at the base, with boots.

Bonus Palm
      S. Mauritiformis.

Planted a few years ago, for a neighbor.  This thing has been a surprising grower, as well.  Planed as a big 5 gallon, maybe 2 years ago, it now has 4' wide (1.3 meter?) fans.

• Coconut palms 1 year anniversary in the ground San Diego/Tijuana region
      By GottmitAlex
      Well today is the big day. 1 year in the ground for my golden Malayan dwarf coconut.
      What began as a late summer impulsive purchase has turned out to be a great adventure.  I am not out of the woods by any means. At this stage it would only take one dip into the low 30's to wipe em out. But still, I am hopeful. 

^^2016^^

^^Originally planted horizontally on native soil. July 27th 2016.^^   

^^Replaced its plot with pure sand and planted it in a vertical manner (yes, a tad bit too close to the fence) August 29th 2016. One year ago to this day.^^

^^ Mirror "Techniques" in order to give them more light/heat throughout those colder months.^^

Well, here is the coconut along with all the other cocos planted between September 2016-Feb 2017. 
      I would like to say thank you to all the members here for their support, tips and advice.
      Especially to Cristóbal for the pure sand idea and Walt for advising me to "tear down that wall". I took out several dog-eared fence planks in order that the cocos get a lot more sun. They have grown exponentially since. I do water almost every day during the summer. The moisture meter reads between 1-2 after 24 hours.  In the spring I watered every 2-3 days. 
      Without further ado, here's the birthday boy. The one that started this whole thing. 

^^Narrow garden atop a 24ft. rock-retaining wall^^ (What you see on the other side is my neighbors roof about 5 ft. below wall height)

^^Storebought Mexican tall dehusked golden  coco germinated in outdoor bathroom (Nov '16) shown  in next pic ^^

As it stands right now:
      1 Golden Malayan Dwarf, 2 Green Pacific talls, 1 B. alfredii, 1 Storebought Mexican tall germinated in outdoor bathroom-now greenhaus-lol Nov 16' (golden!!) dehusked,  1 Jamaican/Atlantic tall coco and 1 B. fenestralis.  
      Except for the golden Malayan dwarf (birthday boy) and the storebought coco, all the talls have half of their leaves pinnate already. Incredible.
      God-willing it's going to be a jungle out there. 
      Thanks again Palmtalk!