• Announcements

• PRIVATE MESSAGING - IMPORTANT NOTICE   01/02/2017

There has been some confusion regarding the Messaging System on PalmTalk - and what is private and what is posted publicly. I've been asked to explain the two. There are two forms of messages - what I will call "Private Messages" which are Private, and "Activity Messages" which are public. A Private Message is designated with an envelope icon. It is available at the top of every page (click it and use "Compose New"). It is also accessible by hovering over a User's name or Avatar and clicking the envelope icon. Or it is also available on a User's Profile Page - at the top - again, with the envelope icon. Anywhere you see this envelope icon, you can click it and send a Private Message. An "Activity Message" is public. These are the "What's on your Mind" and "Leave a Message on [User X's] Feed" boxes where you can leave a public message directly as a Status Update (on your Profile or Main PT Page) or on a User's Profile Page - which updates his Status Update and also posts on PT's Main Status Update Page. These are "Activities" and labeled as such on the Profile Pages.  What is confusing is that both options (Private and Activity) are available on a User's Profile Page.  Just remember, that if you want to send a Private Message, use the envelope icon link - wherever you see it. That will get you to the Private Messaging Center. Any other "Status Update," like "What's on your Mind," or "Leave a Message on [so-and-so's] Feed," is public. I would make it less confusing if I could, but I can't.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PSSC JANUARY 21, 2017 BANQUET

8 posts in this topic

Annual PSSC Banquet
January 21, 2017
Balboa Park, San Diego

This year we are very fortunate to have our Annual Banquet in beautiful Balboa Park. Just north of our meeting room is the Palm Canyon which makes for a beautiful stroll and contains 58 species of palms. Further north is the Botanical Building, one of the largest lathe structures in the world. it houses over 2100 plants.

The banquet will start at 11:00 a.m. with lunch at 11;30 a.m.(There will be a board meeting at 10:00 a.m.) Garcia’s Restaurant will be catering and we are looking forward to a fine Italian luncheon. If
anyone has any food allergies or issues, please contact Mark Riedler and I will make arrangements with Garcias.

Don Martin will be our featured speaker and will regale us with his experience at the last IPS Biennial where he went to Singapore, Sarawak and Darwin, Australia.

We will have an auction at 1:30 p.m. and adjourn by 3:00 p.m. Be sure to stay til the end and be the one member who wins the beautiful Cyphophoenix elegans which will be raffled at closing.

The cost will be $45 per member. Please send payment to David Bleistein, PSSC Treasurer, at Box 6, La Habra, CA 90633-0006. You can also use PayPal to sign up online, http://palmssc.org/next-pssc-meeting-27/.

The Annual Banquet will be held at the Recital Hall Room in Balboa Park, San Diego. This is just south of the Organ Pavilion and Palm Garden in the Park. The Recital Hall is adjacent to the larger Balboa Park Room. There is free parking very close but the lot gets full as the day goes on. So, come earlyand parking is easier to find.

Balboa Park is between Park Blvd. and Sixth Ave. just north of Freeway 5 in downtown San Diego. But, so you don’t get lost, follow directions below.

Directions:

From the north, the easiest way is to take Fwy 5 south. Head toward San Diego. Before the Airport, exit east on Washington Ave. In about 2 miles turn right (south) on Fourth Ave. In about two miles turn left on Laurel. Continue and you enter Balboa Park. Laurel ends at an open Plaza where you must turn right. Continue right for about 1000 feet. Behind the International Cottages is the Balboa Park Club. We are in the Recital Hall next door. Parking is just south of this location.

From inland areas, take the Fwy 15 south. Merge on Fwy 163 South as you approach central San Diego (before freeway 8). Continue south on Fwy 163. Just past the intersection with Freeway 8, stay in the right hand lanes and exit 6th Ave. off Fwy 163 . Continue on 6th Ave. toLaurel, turn left and follow directions above.

From the south, take Freeway 5 north. Exit 6th Ave. north off the freeway near downtown. Continue for one mile to Laurel St., turning right and following directions above.

see you there :)

Pay Pal won't let you pay for more than 1 person. Will have to mail Dave a check for my wife.Actually on checking I've paid twice so I think I'm good

Thanks for the reminder Burt, I'm paid up and in now. :D

Good to see you both!

This is going to be a real party!

It should be a nice banquet.  See you there.

BTW, rain is possible.  There is a drive by access road for dropping off people right in front of the meeting building.  The driver must then go about 100 feet to park.  Be aware, parking is easier the earlier you get there.  It's a public park and parking is at a premium.

Phil Bergman

On 1/6/2017, 8:41:10, OB Burt said:

Pay Pal won't let you pay for more than 1 person. Will have to mail Dave a check for my wife.Actually on checking I've paid twice so I think I'm good

I had the same problem, I had to pay twice.

but it's still so very worth it?

yes?

Not like that would scare you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• PSSC 2017 Annual Banquet - Balboa Park San Diego!
      By DoomsDave
      PSSC ANNUAL BANQUET
      JANUARY 21, 2017

This year we are very fortunate to have our Annual Banquet in beautiful Balboa Park. Just north of our meeting room is the Palm Canyon which makes for a beautiful stroll and contains 58 species of palms. Further north is the Botanical Building, one of the largest lathe structures in the world. it houses over 2100 plants.
      The banquet will start at 11:00 a.m. with lunch at 11;30 a.m.(There will be a board meeting at 10:00 a.m.) Garcia’s Restaurant will be catering and we are looking forward to a fine Italian luncheon. If
      anyone has any food allergies or issues, please contact Mark Riedler and I will make arrangements with Garcias.
      Don Martin will be our featured speaker and will regale us with his experience at the last IPS Biennial where he went to Singapore, Sarawak and Darwin, Australia.
      We will have an auction at 1:30 p.m. and adjourn by 3:00 p.m. Be sure to stay til the end and be the one member who wins the beautiful Cyphophoenix elegans which will be raffled at closing.
      The cost will be $45 per member. Please send payment to David Bleistein, PSSC Treasurer, at Box 6, La Habra, CA 90633-0006. You can also use PayPal to sign up online, http://palmssc.org/next-pssc-meeting-27/.
      The Annual Banquet will be held at the Recital Hall Room in Balboa Park, San Diego. This is just south of the Organ Pavilion and Palm Garden in the Park. The Recital Hall is adjacent to the larger Balboa Park Room. There is free parking very close but the lot gets full as the day goes on. So, come earlyand parking is easier to find.

Balboa Park is between Park Blvd. and Sixth Ave. just north of Freeway 5 in downtown San Diego. But, so you don’t get lost, follow directions below.

Directions:
      From the north, the easiest way is to take Fwy 5 south. Head toward San Diego. Before the Airport, exit east on Washington Ave. In about 2 miles turn right (south) on Fourth Ave. In about two miles turn left on Laurel. Continue and you enter Balboa Park. Laurel ends at an open Plaza where you must turn right. Continue right for about 1000 feet. Behind the International Cottages is the Balboa Park Club. We are in the Recital Hall next door. Parking is just south of this location.
      From inland areas, take the Fwy 15 south. Merge on Fwy 163 South as you approach central San Diego (before freeway 8). Continue south on Fwy 163. Just past the intersection with Freeway 8, stay in the right hand lanes and exit 6th Ave. off Fwy 163 . Continue on 6th Ave. toLaurel, turn left and follow directions above.
      From the south, take Freeway 5 north. Exit 6th Ave. north off the freeway near downtown. Continue for one mile to Laurel St., turning right and following directions above.
    • [Proposed] PRA in South San Diego County
      By DoomsDave
      I have a couple weeks off (from work) starting on Monday, 12-19-16.
      I won't be leaving town in the grand sense, but staying close to home.
      But not that close!
      I'd like to visit some gardens in South San Diego County over the next week, and meeting with Palm Talkers and others.
      I'm thinking of Monday 12-19 to Tuesday 12-20 and, maybe even Wednesday 12-21.
      Maybe stay in motel or other(?) and sample sane or in- nightlife?
      If interested, let me know what dates are good via PM.
      If there's plants you have to sell, tell me; if there's something you like, let me know. I might have one. Or more. I have seeds, too, up the [insert bodily opening/cavity/other space] to give away. Still. Archies! (And others!)
      Make this a holiday to remember!

• Going to California
      By Trópico
      Hey all, I'll be traveling soon to California and would like to know any must see places/gardens public or private. Any recommendations along the San Francisco/LA/San Diego area?
    • PSSC November 19, 2016 Meeting, Altadena, California, Los Angeles County
      By DoomsDave
      The Palm Society of Southern California's November 2016, meeting, potluck and auction will be held at the home of Greg Haines and John Cressey at 2170 Mendocino Lane, Altadena, CA on November 19, 2016, starting at 10:00 a.m. continuing to about 3:00 p.m.

Greg Haines and John Cressey joined the Palm Society in 1976. Their Oakland home and its palms and tropical planting were lost in the 1991 Oakland Hills Firestorm. Long members of The Huntington Library and Gardens they moved to Altadena. Their 1920s Spanish revival home with garden is on historic Mendocino Lane that has an impressive planting of Washingtonia robusta, the skyduster palm, that line both sides of the curved street from Allen to Altadena Drive. Planted in 1925, the palms currently reach up about 75 feet and provide an impressive gateway to the 1928 Spanish home.

The garden is over an acre in size and includes some 140 species. However, the goal has been to create a tropical landscape more than a collection of palm trees. There are several water features and winding paths that lead to a tea house, a five-tier waterfall and on to a king palm forest that honors the memory of Warren Dolby, an early champion of the Palm Society and its research/publications.
      Itinerary:
      9:30- Board of Directors Meeting
      11:00- Members arrive to tour the garden
      12:00- Potluck lunch- Main chicken dish will be provided, Please bring your favorite dish to share
      1:00- General meeting followed by awesome auction

Address of Greg Haines and John Cressey: 2170 Mendocino Lane, Altadena, CA 91001
      Directions:

From the West: 110 FWY until it ends and becomes Arroyo Parkway. Proceed north, turn right on
      Colorado Blvd. Then left on Allen Ave. Head north past 210 FWY, past New York Dr., and right on
      Mendocino. Go 1 1/2 block, garden is on the right.

If using the 210 FWY: from the west exit Hill St., go 3 blocks, left on Allen, north to Mendocino Lane.
      From East and South using 605 FWY: North on 605, get on to 210 FWY going west. Exit Allen Ave.,
      turn right, head north, turn right on Mendocino Lane.
    • Starting Coco Nucifera in Tijuana
      By GottmitAlex
      Hello everyone! I have been waiting for almost a week to be approved membership so I can post this. Great forum BTW. It's my first horticulture forum I've ever joined. Nevertheless I have been lurking for the past 3 weeks.
      Two weeks ago I planted my very first yellow Malayan Dwarf seedling in my yard. The yard is on the east side of Tijuana, Mexico. 
      My "garden" is a narrow strip where I currently have three Washingtonian Robustas, a couple of blue agave plants, a guava startup and a couple Peruvian tree cacti.
      The strip is 1.2 meters wide x 13 meters long. Fence to the immediate south and driveway to the north. The strip is about 1 foot below driveway level. Driveway rain flows to a storm drain on the north, It does not affect the garden. Driveway has a minute angle-tilt towards the northwest.  There is a lot of sandy loam soil underneath the driveway. 
      The strip garden is against a southern-facing 6ft tall red stained dog-eared fir fence with  3/16" gaps between each plank and sits atop a 20 foot-high rock retaining wall with horizontal-placed cinder blocks on top in between the fence and the wall. (Soil drainage is excellent)
      To the immediate west of the strip I have a outhouse room (planning on setting up a small mom-pop shop someday) which, fortuitously, deflects the wind coming in street side. That outhouse wall is twelve feet high.  And 3m (9ft) to the east of the garden strip is a 16 foot wall (carport).
      The idea is to plant another, this time,  two green malayan dwarfs. One smack middle of the strip and one closest to the carport (east). I currently have the original sandy loam 50% 50% soil for the malayan yellow seedling. Had I read Cristóbal's post about using pure sand two weeks ago, I would have. I don't want to disturb the seedling as it is currently. However for the other two which are coming in here shortly, I already have two 1x1 meter holes with pure sand ready. (Hopefully this will help for heat absorption for the wintertime).
      It goes without saying the fence and the rock retaining wall which take up the sun for a good portion of the day make up a nice micro climate for the strip garden. Weather is 84F in TJ today, it is 97F in the garden. The soil temps currently are 85F @ 6"  and 90F @ 3" . I am planning on adding some heat lamps for those sporadic cold spells. I read Royalpalms' account on how he has applied hardware store heat lamp(s) on his coconut palm bud for winter. (I would LOVE to know how many lamps, the type, the wattage and the distance from the tree). I would like to set up in the immediate future, three IR heat lamps on top of the fence looking down at the seedlings for COLD winter nights. But I need some pointers on how much heat is actually needed.  Come fall I will add black rocks to the surface hopefully I can elevate the humidity. It has been great for the past two weeks. I still mist at night and early morning.  
      I really think these Malayan dwarfs will have a chance.  Please bombard me with pointers and tips. I have learned a lot from reading threads in this forum.
      As an interesting snippet: I happened the other day on a website which actually updates the hardiness zones. They aren't based off the 2012 USDA Hardiness zone map.
      http://www.plantsdb.gr/en/general-cultivation/hardiness-zones/275-hardiness-zones-central-south-america
      Seems they have Tijuana as an 11a.   I know, it's funny. But It may* be closer to reality than the 10a..
      Kind regards,

Alex in TJ