IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Good Earth

rubyz

They say that green is restful to the eyes, and contact with the soil is restful to the spirit.

It's all true, of course, and who knows it better than us?

If you read "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck, then you probably recall how Wang Lung screwed up his life with greed and selfishness, but was able to rejuvenate his soul by sleeping out in his fields and renewing his contact with the earth. After a hectic day of work and putting up with the other harsh realities of everyday life, there is nothing like coming back to Family, Palms - and the Good Earth. :)

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

Wise words, Reuven.

Is there anything more satisfying that putting our hands in the soil, sowing seeds, watching a seedling growing, watering and taking care of a small tree or a palm?

My wife says that my palm love comes from my zodiac which is is Virgo, and "earth" is my rulling element...

When I'm gardening I always prefer to walk barefoot, thus exchanging energy with mother earth. I must confess that after a weekend with my palms I always feel better in the next morning, enhancing the good mood and sense of humour. I also sleep much better and turn into a quiet mood during the following day.

The General Surgeon advises: plant a palm and take care of it...It's good for your health... :)

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Now I know why I like to water my palms so much.  I am a Pisces and since I quite surfing and swimming years ago I havn't felt so relaxed and at peace until I got addicted to palms last year.

Cypress, Ca.

My neighbors think I am nuts when they catch me staring at my palms and cycads. I better not start talking to them or they will be callin in the white coats.

I love the smell of freshly dug soil.

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

(m_crowther @ May 04 2007,05:12)

My neighbors think I am nuts when they catch me staring at my palms and cycads. I better not start talking to them or they will be callin in the white coats.

They think you (we) are nuts because you (we) are nuts - or should I say "palmy?"

Anyway, certain experiments have shown that plants definitely react to both kindness (and threats), so talking to them and fondling them could only benefit them.

I have had many pleasant, intelligent conversations with my palms - and they never raise their voices! :laugh:

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif

(m_crowther @ May 03 2007,22:12)

I love the smell of freshly dug soil.

...hmmmmm! tThe smell is Delicious!.....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I spent today doing some pretty yard work (easier for someone 10 years younger I'm sure).  And actually it was just the Bi-Annual mantenence stuff. Getting ready for summer. While I'm aching now. I feel good. I honestly believe God built into man a need for plants, soil, agriculture and of course palms liberally through out.

It's a shame when people allow themselves to get so far away from this ancient tie to our ancestors.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ May 07 2007,07:24)

I spent today doing some pretty yard work ( I honestly believe God built into man a need for plants, soil, agriculture and of course palms liberally through out.

"And God planted a garden in Eden in the east and placed the man which He had created there..."

Reuven                                                                          

Karmiel, Israel

israel_b.gif