IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus dammaropsis

Ben in Norcal

I had one of these that did well here, but it got way too large, way too fast, for the spot I had it in, so was removed last spring.  I'm in the market for another which I can more appropriately place - please let me know if you have one, or know I can get one - shipped, of course.  Thanks!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Pando said:

There is one on eBay.

Saw that but look at the small plants he is selling. Do you think those are true Ficus D?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I got one from them last summer. Looks similar to the true FD I have, but has more elongated, floppier leaves. It's probably because it's in shade at this point (see here). I'll be able to tell what it is in a few months after I pot mine up (again) and put it into more sun. It's definitely not the "fake" F. casearioides/kingii discussed here.

What's somewhat odd is that the plant was really tiny (4") when it arrived. Normally air layered plants are already larger. I'm curious whether this is from seed or they found a way to propagate it.

But, I'm not complaining. It's appears to be turning out a beautiful lush plant even if it looks a bit different than the usual FD found in the yards here.

7 minutes ago, Pando said:

I got one from them last summer. Looks similar to the true FD I have, but has more elongated, floppier leaves. It's probably because it's in shade at this point (see here). I'll be able to tell what it is in a few months after I pot mine up (again) and put it into more sun. It's definitely not the "fake" F. casearioides/kingii discussed here.

What's somewhat odd is that the plant was really tiny (4") when it arrived. Normally air layered plants are already larger. I'm curious whether this is from seed or they found a way to propagate it.

But, I'm not complaining. It's appears to be turning out a beautiful lush plant even if it looks a bit different than the usual FD found in the yards here.

This is really interesting.  The fact that the little guys look seed grown is what was throwing me - I thought seeds were basically impossible to source due to lack of appropriate pollinator.  At any rate, it will be interesting to compare notes on this form moving forward. :D

Ben Rogers

Looks like someone bought it :D

When you get it, pot it up immediately. I had it in the original 4" for a few weeks and it was doing nothing. As soon as I put it into a 1g it literally exploded.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pando said:

Looks like someone bought it :D

When you get it, pot it up immediately. I had it in the original 4" for a few weeks and it was doing nothing. As soon as I put it into a 1g it literally exploded.

Yup...will go in a bigger pot and under the T5 set up inside for a month or two, just to give it an initial push!

Ben Rogers

• 3 months later...

I am planning on giving it a shot on mine.  If it works, I will let you know and then we can figure out how to get it to you. 

3 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I am planning on giving it a shot on mine.  If it works, I will let you know and then we can figure out how to get it to you. 

Thanks Adam.  Good luck with the layering process - seems a bit tricky!

Ben Rogers

5 minutes ago, Pando said:

How's that ebay one doing Ben?

So far, so good.  Not grown too much yet, since spring has been so cool here.  Got any updated pics of yours Ando?

Ben Rogers

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

So far, so good.  Not grown too much yet, since spring has been so cool here.  Got any updated pics of yours Ando?

I'll go and take one right now :lol:

Here it is, I still have it growing in shade so the leaves are not pleated yet.

v4miKPL.jpg

8ITUZCM.jpg

Here it is under the real thing for comparison, which is in part day sun:

xC4G6ZD.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pando said:

v4miKPL.jpg

8ITUZCM.jpg

xC4G6ZD.jpg

Looking good.  Going to be interesting to see how these develop.

Ben Rogers

I find those elongated leaves interesting... A bit different for sure. But then again that's almost how my big one looked when it was this size (July 2014):

BheCmJm.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pando said:

I find those elongated leaves interesting... A bit different for sure. But then again that's almost how my big one looked when it was this size (July 2014):

BheCmJm.jpg

they are long and really pointy when young but grow out of it when they start to mature :(

I wish they keep that trait into adult hood.

The lowland bread fruit form does keep its pointy leaves :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Pando said:

v4miKPL.jpg

8ITUZCM.jpg

xC4G6ZD.jpg

when are you going to plant it out? It will explode if you set it free in full sun..

Sunset zone 24

I'm setting 20-30 more air layers on a killer specimen next week. They should be rooted and ready by late fall if anyone is interested. I did a ton last year with amazing success but unfortunately all sold before hitting palm talk. Since I'm planning to make so many I'm going to start to take names and sending PM's when they are rooted out in 5 gals.

PM me if you are interested

cheers,

Josh

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24