IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Burretiokentia

KrisKupsch

Hello and welcome to 2017,

I understand some people haven't had the opportunity to germinate these species at all, except maybe Burretiokentia hapala and B.vieillardii. 

Have enough trials been done to ascertain a rank out of 5, 1 being difficult and 5 easy of the species?

I'm currently going with:

B.dumasii ? never tried it. 

B.grandiflora 1 (obtained 1 from 10 seeds)

B.hapala 4 (seed down now but apparently not too difficult to sprout).

B.koghiensis ? never tried it.

B.vieillardii 3 (6 from 20 seeds). 

Any information/experiences would help boost my efforts down the track.

obviously a number of variables could be concerned ie cultural factors, but please share. I like % rates of success being a good measure. 

regards Kris

Hi Kris, 

Never through the seed out..

I have had them germinate 3 years after sowing, one took 6 years. 

Some only germinate once a year, some New Caledonian palms seem to germinate once a year at the same month as the previous year.

Above all , be patient

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thanks for the info, I had no idea the seed could be so long germinating. 

If you have the time, patience, and inclination, it's worth the wait as these are beautiful palms.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

My plants of this genus grow very slowly, but I had no idea the seeds shared this trait. 

Maybe the next generation will see mine make seed!

Cindy Adair

Thanks for the info Colin. My latest batch of NC stuff was sown 9/16 and most sprouted within 12 weeks except B.grandiflora with just 1....which is pretty good still ! 

Oraniopsis is a slow one too...yep Ill just wait !

15 hours ago, KrisKupsch said:

Thanks for the info Colin. My latest batch of NC stuff was sown 9/16 and most sprouted within 12 weeks except B.grandiflora with just 1....which is pretty good still ! 

Oraniopsis is a slow one too...yep Ill just wait !

The oraniopsis just like keeping u waiting as they do when there growing i think my last 1 left is plasic!!

Coops I haven't knowledge of your Oraniopsis growing techniques but I myself lay claim to having more of this species in cultivation than any single gardener out there. I must have 25 at least and the best get water water and more water atop of lots of water. I had one die recently with leaves head height. Died from direct sun and 36 C. Quite surprising and very annoying too, plus it was in the creek, however dry this Summer until rains a few days ago..genetics vary too, I believe in keeping on trying until you either get lucky or your wife says to stop wasting money on palms (again)..

I thought my final one was dead but i just saw a new leaf coming up, so it will make me get my hopes up for another 6 months i just have no luck with them, 

Hey Mark, from 282 Oraniopsis seed I've got 5. Sown 3/16 !!! 3 came up months ago and 2 just now.