IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sudden death in various seedlings, ideas please!

atlantisrising

I've had some weird sudden deaths in 4 inch Marojejya, Calyptrocalyx albertisianus, Clinostigma savoryanum and Pinanga maculata, and in seedlings of Pinaga caesia and insignis, Heterospathe delicatula and Hydriastele affinis and flabellata. It happens in about 48 hrs, first the lower leaf curls then the next leaf and then the spear just sort of dries up. None of it turns brown, it keeps a greenish color with a tinge of black This doesn't appear to be damping off as I understand that as usually in that process the leaves will brown and then the spear will brown and fall off. When I pull these out the base of the plant is soft and rotten but the roots look healthy. This has been going on for several months and I have been treating with Ban Rot to no avail. It happens so quickly by the time the first leaf curls I believe the meristem is already gone. Our lowest temp this winter just occurred a few days ago at about 60 degrees F overnight. I don't think its cold related. Pictures of latest victim, a Pinanga maculata, lower leaf curled with color, remaining leaves curling and feel dry like paper and base feels very soft. Anyone know what this might be and how to treat it?

IMG_20170101_172617_616[1].jpg

IMG_20170101_172953_372[1].jpg

IMG_20170101_173009_723[1].jpg

could it be 'fertiliser dumping' as your issue.? ie too much fertiliser with winter to boot. 

sound like a root borne pathogen/fungus issue. This is common in small plants that are not established.

Did you plants come from Hawaii?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Most are doing extremely well, out of 100 or so about 10 have done this. It could have been fert. dumping a few months ago when I was using the cheap stuff. I switched to nutricote 100 day applied Dec. 1st.

I believe it might be easier to identify this cause if we first give the condition a name. After careful consideration I propose to call it "Sudden Onset Brown Thumb Disease" or SOBTD. In the common vernacular it could also be known as "Son ofa B-----, That's Dead". Perhaps someone could get a guvment grant to study it for the sake of all us palm lovers.:floor:

Edited by atlantisrising
punctuation