Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Let's see how this works out.

24 posts in this topic

Just got a nice bunch of Acrocomia seeds. Removed them from the outer shell. Now to soak in GA3 for a week & seed if I can speed up germination. Anyone else have experience with this?

I did this to a few a. Totai seeds. They are easily damaged in the vise so i only tested a few of them. 

Posted (edited)

No vise, I used a hammer. Wrap the nut in a towel & smack the shit out of it, you can tell when the outer shell cracks... Haven't lost any. No wonder they take 2+ years to germinate if left in the nut, it probably takes that long for the moisture to penetrate the outer shell...

Edited by Laaz

12 hours ago, Laaz said:

No vise, I used a hammer. Wrap the nut in a towel & smack the shit out of it, you can tell when the outer shell cracks... Haven't lost any. No wonder they take 2+ years to germinate if left in the nut, it probably takes that long for the moisture to penetrate the outer shell...

Ill try that.  They remind me of a smaller black walnut. 

i'm folling this tread with a lot attention ! ;)

Full nut & cleaned seed...

dqjgqo.jpg

The reason I use a bench vise is to control the amount of pressure without damaging the seed inside. This is especially true when the seed inside is tight against the outer shell. Good luck with those seeds Todd. Looks like a very cool palm to have in the collection.

Cheers, Barrie. 

are seeds of Acrocomia  totai , or another species  of Acrocomia ?

1 hour ago, gyuseppe said:

are seeds of Acrocomia  totai , or another species  of Acrocomia ?

I'm lucky enough to currently have totai and Aculeata seed. 

Pic 1 is Aculeata (cleaned)

Pic 2 is Totai (cleaned)

Pic 3 is both side by side.  Totai looks to be rounder while aculeata looks a little like a Hershey kiss on one end. 

20170102_204148.jpg

20170102_204124.jpg

20170102_204000.jpg

Those are the nuts, not cleaned seed.

I don't have much insight, except for the fact that I think an Acrocomia Totai is worth a try where you are. Especially if they grow and thrive (for the most part) in Savannah. I attempted to germinate several seeds that I collected at the Bamboo Gardens in Savannah (didn't know it was against the "rules" till after I did it!) and after attempting to crack through the hard shell, I came up with empty hallow seeds. Something managed to penetrate it before I could... By the way, I very, very carefully used a hammer. but I suppose in the end, it didn't matter what I used. Good luck and keep us updated on them.

Don't forget, there are two mature Totai here in Charleston.

I have used a vice instead of a hammer because you can control better the pression and doing it several times in different positions you could hear the shell getting broken. I only hace 5 seeds and I didn't damage none using the vice. Mine are bought has vinifera from Mexico but it must be named aculeata now. They are 2 months inside the germinator.

14570492_10207544268312839_2766486816432

On 1/1/2017 20:46:03, Laaz said:

Just got a nice bunch of Acrocomia seeds. Removed them from the outer shell. Now to soak in GA3 for a week & seed if I can speed up germination. Anyone else have experience with this?

I tried the GA3 for other germinations and it didn't work out to break seed dormancy.

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

Don't forget, there are two mature Totai here in Charleston.

Lucky you! Here is impossible to found those seeds :(

OK, finally got around to cleaning the seeds...

Soaked the nuts overnight in hydrogen peroxide, there was still some flesh on the nuts... Then let them dry for a few days.

28cldox.jpg

Then I use a old towel & wrap the nut. I used my old jack as the base to crack the nuts.

21bus1.jpg72t06f.jpg106x2ed.jpg

Removed all the shells without damaging any of the seeds...

f372oz.jpg2nak3tj.jpg20svw4h.jpg

Soaked the cleaned seed overnight in hydrogen peroxide, rinsed this morning in clean water. Soaked them for a few hours in a mix of water with Superthrive, then bagged them up to germinate. We'll see how this works out...

Keep us posted Todd ... should be a cool palm.

Cheers, Barrie.

any updated would be great!!

Nothing so far, only been a few days.

How about now? :D

Any update?

My seeds are in the germination tray nearly 5 months without any germination.

No sign of life yet...