IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Redneck Mini Greenhouse – Will it work?

ThePalmNovice

Redneck Mini Greenhouse – Will it work?   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Will this redneck greenhouse work?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
    • NO! That thing will kill the tree!!!

Hello everybody, I’m new to the world of palm trees. A few months ago I moved to Central Florida (Zone 9B) and for the first time in a long while had a yard to plant in. Thinking it would look cool I bought a palm tree at Lowes to grow. Then another. Then another. Then… well I think you get the idea. In no time I’ve become a fan of all things palms.

Researching into the topic more however I’ve discovered the USDA Hardiness Zones. When I got my palm trees I didn’t pay any attention to their cold hardiness, naïvely believing Orlando was hot enough for anything tropical to grow. Fortunately most of them are hardy for my zone, with the exception of a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis (Bottle Palm) and three Adonidia.

Both are small and have been in the ground for less than 4 months. Fearful a winter frost might get them I’ve constructed what can only be called a rednecks attempt at a removable greenhouse. I used bits of scrap plywood lying around and nailed them together into a small square frame. Then I duct tape cardboard, paper bags, black plastic bags, and a beach tarp together to cover it up.

The result looks nothing short of a monstrosity.

DSC09042.thumb.JPG.e4fa4113327cc06bad783

DSC09043.thumb.JPG.8fced19fdad3b29b86f35

DSC09044.thumb.JPG.77ab33e94a37cbb046973

DSC09045.thumb.JPG.64428fddeb3f9ae84888b

DSC09046.thumb.JPG.640ff73a23edf2274697c

The question is will this work? If the temperatures get around freezing will this protect my Bottle Palm from dying/frost damage? If so I’d like to build a bigger one to protect the Adonidias. However is this thing sturdy enough or will the cold air just leak through? Would it work if I put old Christmas lights underneath to provide heat? Finally is this thing counterproductive and risks harming the tree? Share your thoughts and comments below.   

• Upvote 1

JUst a standard 60 watt bulb in there will likely be enough to help. For sure a 150W halogen will keep it toasty! Good luck!!

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I suggest using a few pieces of 1/2"pcv to make a hoop over the palm and them use the tarp or better yet clear plastic. 

• Upvote 1

Yes clear plastic would be much better, clear bubble wrap would be better still as it has slight insulation properties.:greenthumb:

Edited by Jungle Jas.
more information.
  • Upvote 1

Should work and with a little heat

from the homeless that are likely to move in,it

should thrive!;)

"Your gonna get hop ons"

• Upvote 3

It started out in relatively promising fashion...until you just dumped a bunch of garbage on top. :P

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Spencer, Just to let you know. The snarky posts here mean you have been accepted into the group! Welcome!

• Upvote 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

and the good thing is your just starting out......I can sense an obsession in the making. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

9 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Spencer, Just to let you know. The snarky posts here mean you have been accepted into the group! Welcome!

Aw thanks. :D Don't worry I've been laughing too at those replies. When it comes to looks this thing deserves all the ridicule it gets. I think my neighbors hate me for putting that up, especially with several houses for sale on my street. :P Fortunately it only has to go up on nights when the temperature drops below 40F. As long as it keeps the plant alive it works for me. Otherwise it can be disassembled and put into my shed out of sight. 

9 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

It started out in relatively promising fashion...until you just dumped a bunch of garbage on top. :P

Well your right about one thing. Aside from the beach tarp that actually is all garbage. I needed to make something fast and so constructed it out of left over house supplies headed for recycling. When I get more time I think I'll rebuild it with the suggestions everyone gave me (use PVC pipes, clear plastic, bubble wrap, etc.). Plus I can easily reach this with an extension cord so adding in a small light should be no major hassle. Thanks for all the advice everyone. 

7 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

and the good thing is your just starting out......I can sense an obsession in the making. :greenthumb:

Thanks. Yes at first I thought my interest would die down once everything was planted, but the more you learn about palms the more fascinating and enjoyable it becomes to have them.

Edited by ThePalmNovice
  • Upvote 2

I really have no room to talk with the hideous

things out in the front yard covering my palms...

I like the idea of being able to put it in the recycling

bin after covering,my extra covers are scattered all over the basement.

Really miss ln living color....that was quite the Sunday lineup back in the day.

Thought you would enjoy this thread

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Having a covering overhead is on thing, but as some

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

...but as someone else said, the wind is your real concern. A couple of flexible tent poles hooped over the palm, and a clear plastic sheet clothes pinned to the hoops, and you've got a simple, cheap, likely wind proof tent-structure that will withstand the next two months.

jt

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Yep...just make sure you pop the top

or you can easily see 120F+ plus in there

which will make you wish it had only seen the cold....

there is some thermal value in what he has too

using cardboard then plastic........

that you dont get with plastic as much.

• Upvote 1

Plastic is bad idea. Use frost cloth in its place. That way if you leave it covered you won't have palm soup on a sunny day. 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

"Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in."

:(

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Yikes! Checked the forecast and it looks like lows in the mid 30s are possible tomorrow night with winds at 20mph. Looks like the time to test this thing has come. Tomorrow I'll gather up as much material as I can and rebuild this thing with all the suggestions you've all shared with me. I did find an old wool blanket and what I think is a white fabric sheet in the shed. Perhaps that will work? Here's hoping for the best. 

I have so covered plants with a light dressing of coastal hay. 

After cold is past just pull away and let decay at base of plant. Enriches soil.

You could pack your structure with it as well. 

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Well bad news and good news. Bad news is I discovered why building this thing with scrap plywood might not have been such a good idea. Went to set it up and discovered the wood warped and sagged in the rain and is now too bent over to use. 587199f8be79d_2017-01-0720.42.04.thumb.j

So what I had in mind went out the window. Good news is I found a big plastic garbage bin that manages to fit (if barely) over the palm. I bunched up the leaves, wrapped the trunk with an old and pillowcase, and flipped the garbage bin upside down to cover the plant. Then I covered the bin in a wool blanket and finally a trash bag to hold it on tight. The result is this.

58719bd19a4ba_2017-01-0720.44.56.thumb.j

Not to pretty but it might be an improvement over the last one. In the back I didn't have time to build anything for the Adonidias so the only thing I can do is wrap them up with a tarp, bubble wrap, and old bed sheet. Hopefully that will be enough protection as its leaning against a fence. 

20170107_175321.jpg

Edited by ThePalmNovice

The interesting thing you will find is if you do get below 32F or frost, where sheets or thin coverings touch the leaves, you will get burn. The covering takes the heat from the leaf to get it cool enough to frost there. If you can in the future, just covering higher above without touching leaves is better. Also as noted earlier, be aware if you sunny and in the 60's, be careful to not cook your plant, open it up.

Also, my bet is the Adonidia's are more fragile than the bottle.

Good Luck! :)

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

The interesting thing you will find is if you do get below 32F or frost, where sheets or thin coverings touch the leaves, you will get burn. The covering takes the heat from the leaf to get it cool enough to frost there. If you can in the future, just covering higher above without touching leaves is better. Also as noted earlier, be aware if you sunny and in the 60's, be careful to not cook your plant, open it up.

Also, my bet is the Adonidia's are more fragile than the bottle.

Good Luck! :)

Good advice. Sheets or coverings that touch the leaves are bad, bad news. The only damage I have ever taken on my kings are when I covered with sheets.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

No wonder that fell apart ... Oriented Strand Board - OSB will not hold up to moisture al any level. Invest in some PT (pressure treated) lumber if that's your preferred type of material. PVC pipe also has been used in constructing a protective framework.

Cheers, Barrie.

Well the cold spell has passed and the Bottle Palm/Adonidias made it out just fine. A few leaf tips got slightly bent and now look droopy but otherwise there healthy and happy. Not sure if I really needed to cover it up as we only got a low of 36, but at least it provided a lot of protection from the wind (wind chill was in the 20s all night). Next time though I'll want to build something bigger as the plastic can was a tighter fit than I wanted. And certainly I'll get something better for the Adonidias so they don't get frosted. 

Edited by ThePalmNovice