IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tri-Bear Size

Palmtreehugger

How tall can I expect a Tri-Bear to get and how fast? I'm limited on height because of ocean views. Don't want to anger the neighbors although many of them have let Washingtonias Grow on their property. I try to stay with small Dypsis. Pinagas, and Chambeyronias for height control as an example. I have a real nice one in a 10g that is throwing redish Bronzy leaves. Hearty little devil. Love to plant it but concerned about the height.

Dypsis Tri-Bear 2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ask Josh-O for a picture of his.  The one at his nursery is pretty good size.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm looking for some numbers here. A picture with an age could be helpful though. 

46 minutes ago, Palmtreehugger said:

I'm looking for some numbers here. A picture with an age could be helpful though. 

here you go Dean.. They get HUGE

IMG_5860.JPG.77c9bed0890724f183548d793ad

Cheers,

Josh

• Upvote 4

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I'm no expert on these, but the ones I've seen are between 15 & 25 feet tall. So they're not a short palm by any means, definitely getting taller than the triangle palm parent, at least in the short term. Is that a tribear that's throwing the bronze leaf? If so, I've never seen them do that. At first glance I thought Kentiopsis pyriformis.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Thanks Josh. Looks to big for here.

Just now, Palmtreehugger said:

Thanks Josh. Looks to big for here.

Send me the plant, not too big for here. :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Dean, this is one of the bigger ones growing in California. Larry is 6'2" and is standing on a 8" curb to give you some scale. mine is roughly 22' height overall and is growing very fast.

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, quaman58 said:

I'm no expert on these, but the ones I've seen are between 15 & 25 feet tall. So they're not a short palm by any means, definitely getting taller than the triangle palm parent, at least in the short term. Is that a tribear that's throwing the bronze leaf? If so, I've never seen them do that. At first glance I thought Kentiopsis pyriformis.

Yes, it is a TriBear.

Just now, Ben in Norcal said:

Send me the plant, not too big for here. :D

already sent him a message..hahahahaha!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Palmtreehugger said:

Yes, it is a TriBear.

Did u get my e-mail?

Sunset zone 24

3 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Its very common for them to flush red---to bronze leaves when they are young.

I wish they keep that trait :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

2 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Here's mine, doing great in NorCal, just for fun.

IMG_1902.JPG

Bad Ass BRO!!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

2 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

They're good looking palms if they were just smaller like Baronii. I'll hang on to it for now or make a trade. I can sell it out of my nursery in a flash to one of my bromeliad customers if I want. 

Mine was the largest of a batch that came through some time back that I waited a few years than others to plant. The only thing holding this monster back is me not giving it any fertiliser ...or enough soil or water  for that matter! This was a non trunking/big 15 gal maybe 6-7 years ago at most.

20161231_092648.thumb.jpg.cc7a567efb0823

20161231_092635.thumb.jpg.d421c5c0256436

20161231_092614.thumb.jpg.276b715994190d

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

They will get tall from the D. leptocheilos mother and fat from the Triangle.  Sold these to my neighbor in 7 gallon about 11 years ago. 

DSCN4215.JPG

DSCN4217.JPG

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

They will get tall from the D. leptocheilos mother and fat from the Triangle.  Sold these to my neighbor in 7 gallon about 11 years ago. 

DSCN4215.JPG

DSCN4217.JPG

now that's sexy!!

they even look good as doubles.

Sunset zone 24