IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Systems Gardens @ 37 degrees south

cassowaryhill

So I heard about these gardens here on PT from a fellow nutter. My aim was to see openly planted Licuala ramsayii, of which I did but massive surprise was a few other tropical palms and plants that drew my eyes. Hope everyone likes 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3765.jpg.159bf478UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3767.jpg.01ee1042

Beautiful Rainforest section under the giant Ficus. Temperature was 36 and when you walked in it had dropped easily by 10 more degrees centigrade. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_376e.jpg.fb208565

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_377d.jpg.cd9e05daUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_377e.jpg.a25fd794UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_378f.jpg.aed41ad1

Success!! They've planted about 7 Licuala ramsayii. All growing nice and strong

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_376b.jpg.65d6df4eUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_376c.jpg.3ca13978

Livistona australis 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_376f.jpg.ed3975bd

Laccospadix everywhere

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_377b.jpg.b6fae5ec

Kentia and Archie - Piccabeen

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_377c.jpg.59c39a58UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3768.jpg.69cb64d9UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3773.jpg.b943435dUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3771.jpg.cfc47267

Not sure which one this one was perhaps just australis? @KrisKupsch

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3772.jpg.28c4d17fUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3774.jpg.4bea11cf

OMG @Tropicgardener really!! ^^^^^ 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3775.jpg.aaed24c6

King Fern,... Looking a little worse for wear

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3776.jpg.ba8940c2

Davidsonia pruriens and jerseyana growing quite well. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3778.jpg.d515393bUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3779.jpg.cf86d5e5UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3786.jpg.05a4b1e5

Macadamia on the right

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3788.jpg.99d13eedUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3790.jpg.ff2491c2

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3766.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3777.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3783.jpg

Edited by cassowaryhill
  • Upvote 8

Now for the Palm Walk.....  Two things ABSOLUTELY hit me! Couldn't believe my eyes... These two growing at 37 Degrees Latitude..... 

Ravenala madagascariensis and Pandanus furcatus - See below..... @Tropicgardener

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3727.jpg.fbd82832

This guy surprised me and maybe just didn't get enough water as it was planted pretty open. He should have survived quite well. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_372b.jpg.e8d4bbdf

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3726.jpg.e44f9be5

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3730.jpg.68617035

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3733.jpg.36df4ece

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3742.jpg.c0ae26e2

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3744.jpg.fee62f09

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3740.jpg.c2132310

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3745.jpg.5d760931

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_378e.jpg.11273c14

Some random encephalartus and dioon species 

• Upvote 6

Some surprising tropicals... That I never knew could grow here...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3728.jpg.550748a3

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_374a.jpg.7b1caa29UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_374b.jpg.f1d80a1fUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_374c.jpg.0660b604UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3737.jpg.714352f5UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3731.jpg.a6106117UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3736.jpg.fc1f62afUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3743.jpg.58cfbb2fUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3752.jpg.0361c2f0UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3764.jpg.6b452750UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_373c.jpg.62abef5aUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_373d.jpg.7bee4274UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_375c.jpg.88ebaf1cUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3723.jpg.da756f77UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3750.jpg.e89eff59UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3731.jpg.a6106117UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3756.jpg.5a67528b

Some South African natives I grew up with Especially the Kei Apple which is from part of the world 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3760.jpg.73e53ada

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_374e.jpg.cb1c0b0fUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_374f.jpg.06bc5964

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_373e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_375e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_375f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3746.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3749.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3789.jpg

• Upvote 8

Looks great and it's actually at 37.8' south so closers to 38'!  L. ramsayi has been known to grow alright here, but I'm not surprised about the Caryota mitis. Other fishtail can do quite well but mitis seems to hate our long cool period.  Probably off topic, but did you see the Wollemi pine (Wollemia nobilis)? I have been back since 2012 and it was already a good size back then.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

@tim_brissy_13 Yeah this is true! :) Yeah they could have chosen a better Caryota. UMM the wollemi I saw. Wasn't very big and looked kinda iffy/Meh looking.. I think they prefer warmer temps 

7 minutes ago, cassowaryhill said:

@tim_brissy_13 Yeah this is true! :) Yeah they could have chosen a better Caryota. UMM the wollemi I saw. Wasn't very big and looked kinda iffy/Meh looking.. I think they prefer warmer temps 

Interesting I'm not so sure - there's a few nice ones around now.The ones at the botanic gardens (Melbourne and Geelong) are getting huge and mine grows well in Bonbeach.  

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

Great to see such a great garden at around 38S latitude. Gotta love that established ficus canopy. That's what it's all about, getting the canopy formed and then you are set provided you choose sensible species for the understory.

• Upvote 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Need to update their tags.......... Not too surprised that Pandanus furcatus grows down there, it is one of the more cold tolerant in the genus but to be growing a Ravenala that is a good effort.

• Upvote 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Kind of surprising to see Catalpa, a temperate deciduous tree, though one whose range extends into central Florida.  Beautiful flowers.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On Sat Dec 24 2016 20:06:00 GMT+1100, coops 3214 said:

Where abouts is this??

It's at the University of Melbourne behind the botany building.

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

Great to see some pics of System Garden. There are some nice palms in other parts of the uni as well. I planted 2 Ceroxylon ventricosum and a C. amazonicum on Professors Walk near old arts that are all getting some size to them now. Also several palms behind the scenes as well. Would be good to have a PRA there some time and maybe link it in with a RBG and behind the scenes trip there as well. RBG has planted several of Miccles palms that were sitting in the nursery. Parajubaea, Caryoto, Brahea, Trachycarpus and more.

Unfortunately the west part of System Garden is going to be destroyed for an expanded Land and Food Sciences building. This means that the Monkey Hand red flowering thing pictured here or Chiranthodendron (I germinated that only about 3 yers ago) is going to have to get relocated (not looking forward to that). The gradual disappearance of gardens at Melbourne Uni to make way for buildings has been happening for years. 

Ficus dammeropsis grows well here provided it is provided with an endless supply of water. Very thirsty plant best planted near a water body. They don't worry about the cold here much. They just go quiet for a while and grow quickly during summer.

• Upvote 1

Is anyone in a temperate climate growing F dammaropsis as a canopy plant? Those leaves look like they would provide some great shade. Does it have a large/overpowering root zone or can other plants do well underneath?

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

3 hours ago, SirOxylon said:

Great to see some pics of System Garden. There are some nice palms in other parts of the uni as well. I planted 2 Ceroxylon ventricosum and a C. amazonicum on Professors Walk near old arts that are all getting some size to them now. Also several palms behind the scenes as well. Would be good to have a PRA there some time and maybe link it in with a RBG and behind the scenes trip there as well. RBG has planted several of Miccles palms that were sitting in the nursery. Parajubaea, Caryoto, Brahea, Trachycarpus and more.

Unfortunately the west part of System Garden is going to be destroyed for an expanded Land and Food Sciences building. This means that the Monkey Hand red flowering thing pictured here or Chiranthodendron (I germinated that only about 3 yers ago) is going to have to get relocated (not looking forward to that). The gradual disappearance of gardens at Melbourne Uni to make way for buildings has been happening for years. 

Ficus dammeropsis grows well here provided it is provided with an endless supply of water. Very thirsty plant best planted near a water body. They don't worry about the cold here much. They just go quiet for a while and grow quickly during summer.

I'd be keen for a visit. As an alumni of Melbourne Uni it would be great to see everything since I've left - looks like it has changed a lot.

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

3 hours ago, SirOxylon said:

We should all meet up one day and go visit again???????????

I have a Ficus dammeropsis in Frankston that I am hoping will form a canopy tree some day. They are not an enormous fig like the Moreton Bay Figs so I suspect that plants will be able to be grown underneath. However, they do like heaps of water so that garden bed would need to be supplied with heaps of water to sustain all those plants.

I am keen to join up with people at Uni and also Royal Botanic Gardens sometime. If it is a weekday I could potentially get the people in charge of palms and system garden to come out for a chat and behind the scenes stuff as well. 

• 1 year later...

had a beautful Wolemmi that grew to 6' in my sunroom.  When we were away the heating system failed and killed it.  I have been looking for a few years for a small tree, cutting, seeds or branch!  Any ideas where I can find one???

Thanks!!!

Lovely gardens. I love that jungle impression this garden has!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3788.jpg.99d13eed

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)