IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Shizzy's Going Crazy!

Briank

Hello Everyone! 

Wanted to throw some pics & let everyone see how awesome these Shizzy'S are growing ! I got them from Josh-O about 6-7 months ago as a 1 ga maybe 1 ft tall at best.  I will post pics of when i put in the ground.  They have just blown up in the ground and just jaw dropping how fast they grow and how they can really add to your palms and whatever your growing! A must have in my book! Josh has a bunch of them and I'm glad I ran across these! I don't water them a bunch. Not even on my drip system.   Water them by hand 2x week! They don't skip a beat I swear you could just sit there and watch them grow lol 

IMG_7653.JPG

• Upvote 2

Here is my other 1.  Planted at same time,  this one is maybe a few feet shorter, but still racing to catch his brother Haha.   

Will post pics of the size I planted when I got them.  Got to find the pics.  If anyone doesn't know, it's a Brazilian Fern Tree variety.  

IMG_7654.JPG

• Upvote 2

I have planted next to it a Bismarkia,  a Rhopalostylis Oceana, and a Trachycarpus Princeps. Don't have to worry about them being close together as this Shizzy's will be 20+ ft in another yr before those even grow another Ft! Lol

• Upvote 1

Those things get massive fast! Your entire yard will be shaded in a few years. Once they branch out they almost get scary in the wind. Personally I really like them but worried about planting one in my small yard since it could be too much to handle. My one concern for you Brain is they could shade out that Bizzy and then it could stretch out like crazy. Also there will be tons of 3 foot long branches falling in the winter months. 

I'm glad I no longer have this guy to worry about like Chris mentioned above. Many limbs often have too much included bark which makes them prone to snapping. This one was only 8 years old when Leatherface took care of him. Direct bubbler and no surface roots.

DSC_1118834x1280.jpgIMG]

Edited by Gonzer
additional info
  • Upvote 2

Here is my second one. The first one was to close to the driveway so it was removed. As stated above, they drop everything and it gets messy.

This one was placed so not to cause any worries or mess.

Great tree for a big yard.

IMG_2356.JPG

• Upvote 3

I mean those pedals on the tree are so small, and so light.  Would just mix into my mulch anyways lol. We will see.  Going into first winter right now.  Winter in SD is like Spring lol 

Sorry if I ask; what is the botanical name of your friend "Shizzy"?
thanks.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Schizolobium parahyba, a crown reduction at about 20' (6.1m) will ensure more compact growth. Unless the leaves are in contact with organic material decomposition can take years making them a rain gutter's biggest enemy.

Edited by Gonzer
general stupidness

11 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

Schizolobium parahyba, a crown reduction at about 20' (6.1m) will ensure more compact growth. Unless the leaves are in contact with organic material decomposition can take years making them a rain gutter's biggest enemy.

That's the Botanical Name, to much for me to remember lol.  Much easier to Say Shizzy lol.  Im sure ill see, they are about 8-10 ft right now, and even the shortest of branch hasn't fell or dropped any leaves. Although im sure it will eventually.  I used to have a bottle brush tree in front yard, that one was a pain when it dropped those darn things.  nothing a blower cant blow away lol

On 12/16/2016, 12:31:48, Briank said:

I mean those pedals on the tree are so small, and so light.  Would just mix into my mulch anyways lol. We will see.  Going into first winter right now.  Winter in SD is like Spring lol 

The leaflets are not the issue. It is all the leaf branches that fall. Big trees drop hundreds. I just pick them but can see how they can become a nussiance when very old. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I removed my 10 year old 60 footer this year; It was starting to form buttress roots and way too much crap falling in my grotto and the neighbor's pool. Thousands of twigs in the winter and thousands of yellow flowers in the spring. Gorgeous tree, though. My neighbor danced the jig the day I removed it.

• Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

My tower tree was getting a little to top heavy so I decided to pollard it. I have 2 and I cut both of mine down to 7 feet. This one put out over 10 sprouts and 4 survived without my intervention. The other one even after 2 years I still have to snap off new shoots to keep it from growing. These trees are survivors. This is one year of growth.

Tower Trees 003.JPG

2015 tower tree 044.JPG

Tower Tree 30 days 010.JPG

DSCN2181.JPG

DSCN2182.JPG

DSCN2183.JPG

Edited by mwardlow
Added information
  • Upvote 5

MLW

4 minutes ago, mwardlow said:

My tower tree was getting a little to top heavy so I decided to pollard it. I have 2 and I cut both of mine down to 7 feet. This one put out over 10 sprouts and 4 survived without my intervention. The other one even after 2 years I still have to snap off new shoots to keep it from growing. These trees are survivors.

Tower Trees 003.JPG

2015 tower tree 044.JPG

DSCN2181.JPG

DSCN2182.JPG

DSCN2183.JPG

That's a great idea to keep it a little shorter. Maybe trim it way back every year or so just to keep it from getting too tall to deal with. My godfather cuts his eucalyptus way back every few years to make sure they don't become too top heavy. He's done that for many years.  

10 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

That's a great idea to keep it a little shorter. Maybe trim it way back every year or so just to keep it from getting too tall to deal with. My godfather cuts his eucalyptus way back every few years to make sure they don't become too top heavy. He's done that for many years.  

This is every arborist's nightmare.

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2016, 11:16:47, Palm Tree Jim said:

Here is my second one. The first one was to close to the driveway so it was removed. As stated above, they drop everything and it gets messy.

This one was placed so not to cause any worries or mess.

Great tree for a big yard.

IMG_2356.JPG

you garden is looking very RAD JIm!!

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 12/17/2016, 3:20:53, LJG said:

The leaflets are not the issue. It is all the leaf branches that fall. Big trees drop hundreds. I just pick them but can see how they can become a nussiance when very old. 

when the tree is very old or the person growing the tree? :P

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

15 hours ago, Gonzer said:

This is every arborist's nightmare.

I forgot to mention he has power lines near by and he also likes to get some light on the Oaks around the Eucalyptus. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, mwardlow said:

My tower tree was getting a little to top heavy so I decided to pollard it. I have 2 and I cut both of mine down to 7 feet. This one put out over 10 sprouts and 4 survived without my intervention. The other one even after 2 years I still have to snap off new shoots to keep it from growing. These trees are survivors. This is one year of growth.

Tower Trees 003.JPG

2015 tower tree 044.JPG

DSCN2181.JPG

DSCN2182.JPG

DSCN2183.JPG

What time of year did you have this done?

Seems like a great way to control this tree if you are concerned.