IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto VS Butia - Cold Hardiness

PalmTreeDude

Ok, I have had at least seven people here say that Butias are less hardy that Sabal palmetto, but now I am starting to agree with them. After looking through this Garden Web thread, if you scroll down, someone in the Virginia Beach area said that it got down to 5 degrees (in a zone 8a area!) at their place and all the Pindos were fried, but the Sabal palmettos where 100% fine and were still thriving, as if nothing happened at all! Here is the link, look around the thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2070958/question-how-the-sabal-palmettos-are-doing-in-vanc-and-sc

After seeing this I am convinced Sabal palmetto are hardier than Butia, and if that is the case, I am even more excited to plant my Sabal palmetto in the ground next year in VA and do my "minimal protection" like I do with my other palms. 

PalmTreeDude

It is true, Sabals are also more resistant to crown rot than Butias so you're less likely to lose them after a cold and wet winter. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Sabals are definitely hardier than Butias.  I remember that winter well, and that thread, though I don't think I posted in it.  The person there named Laura (Love Palms 2) I think, her photos are clear evidence of that.  I know her personally and she is very meticulous about her yard and palms. She loves them dearly and i know that winter was hard for her. 

I think its hilarious all of the people that always deny that Sabals not only survive but thrive in the Norfolk / VB area.  ITs very clear that they do as there are hundreds upon Hundreds of beautiful, full crowned sabals in that area.  It is just the ones by the ocean front that always look terrible.  They are all mature transplants with full hurricane cuts, and they are always exposed to the strong ocean winds and especially those during nor'easters.  For those that dont live along the mid Atlantic and New England, they are basically winter hurricanes.  Winds can get easily up to hurricane force and much higher especially along the immediate coast.  We all know how bad sabals can look after similar storms in warm climates. Imagine the same winds when its 25-40 degrees and pouring rains or even snow.   It seems they treat those as annuals. Some even hurricane cut established ones every year. I cringe every time i see that.  Clearly they do not have a clue as to what they are doing.  The people that have them and they thrive area usually at lest a few blocks from the ocean, and they definitely do not hurricane cut their palms annually. 

15 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Any particular reason why you didn't believe what we told you?

According to most other sources other than Palmtalk, Butias are hardier. I never completely disagreed with the members here, I knew they can take was coast winters well, but I still thought Butias were hardier. But it looks like I am not getting anymore Butias now. Time to stick to Sabal palmettos, minors, Needle Palms, and Windmill Palms. 

PalmTreeDude

I wonder if a BxJ would be cold hardier than strait B. odorata. Also, I believe their are slightly more cold hardy Butia sp. than odorata. 

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Probably

13 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

I wonder if a BxJ would be cold hardier than strait B. odorata. Also, I believe their are slightly more cold hardy Butia sp. than odorata. 

Probably.  I think jxb is superior to both parents and hybrids in all climates. 

On 12/16/2016, 3:35:56, PalmTreeDude said:

According to most other sources other than Palmtalk, Butias are hardier. I never completely disagreed with the members here, I knew they can take was coast winters well, but I still thought Butias were hardier. But it looks like I am not getting anymore Butias now. Time to stick to Sabal palmettos, minors, Needle Palms, and Windmill Palms. 

I think you will find that route less frustrating and more rewarding.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

What some don't consider are the heat requirements. Sabal palmetto will recover much more slowly than Butia and die completely the next hard winter in our climate. You won't find many Sabals in places with cool summers and cold winters.

Edited by Flow

Heat is very much a consideration.  At the Christchurch Botanic Garden, Sabal palmetto persists but isn't happy.  Date palms and butias do fine.

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us