IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Terrible Temporary Wrap Job for Windmill

PalmTreeDude

So there is a bad cold front coming in from Canada and I decided to give my Windmill Palm a quick wrap due to the lows being in the mid teens! This is the Windmills first year and I was a little concerned, also people have been telling me I should wrap it it's first year, so I did. This wrap will come off on Sunday, one the lows go back to the mid 20s. Here is my terrible wrap job due to me being in a rush and it was freezing out. I hope it gets the job done.

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

PalmTreeDude

Looks OK to me.  Did you add any incandescent xmas lights?   Those can help but if it goes above 28 Id turn them off especially during the day.  Where exactly in VA are you again?   I dropped to 9F last night.  IN that case you would DEF need xmas lights to help and youd prob want to throw a clear plastic tarp over the top at nighttime too.   I made the mistake one year of accidentally leaving the xmas lights on and it got up around 32 during the day.  I fried the Palm.  It had to be over 90F in the wrap. 

Why not pull the sleeve up a bit and cover some of that crown too? The lower half is already naturally somewhat insulated by fiber, but I'd imagine there could be a benefit from more coverage a little higher up around where new growth could potentially be burned prematurely as well. I've been to VA and VA beach a few times, most of the palms there sustain heavy winter damage annually. Good thing many are mature palms because you can tell most of the fronds die off and luckily poke out new spears, but it's very common to see there. For such a young palm, I'd do what some other members here have and consider insulting a large enough box or drum/barrel so you don't kill off fronds in a cold snap. Probably not needed, but might be worth doing. 

Edited by ExoticPalms

22 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

So there is a bad cold front coming in from Canada and I decided to give my Windmill Palm a quick wrap due to the lows being in the mid teens! This is the Windmills first year and I was a little concerned, also people have been telling me I should wrap it it's first year, so I did. This wrap will come off on Sunday, one the lows go back to the mid 20s. Here is my terrible wrap job due to me being in a rush and it was freezing out. I hope it gets the job done.

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

Here is my smallest windmill...I just threw pine straw all around it last night because we dipped to 17 degrees in NC! I made sure the spear was protected up top with it.  Looking at it today it doesn't appear phased at all by the temps.

969.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Ponds & Palms said:

Here is my smallest windmill...I just threw pine straw all around it last night because we dipped to 17 degrees in NC! I made sure the spear was protected up top with it.  Looking at it today it doesn't appear phased at all by the temps.

969.jpeg

Well, you definitely wouldn't see any damage within 24hrs. Please update in a few weeks.

Mine appears to be ok. I gave the spear a tug and it is firmly in tack. The fronds look perfectly fine at them moment. I'll keep y'all updated. 

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Mine appears to be ok. I gave the spear a tug and it is firmly in tack. The fronds look perfectly fine at them moment. I'll keep y'all updated. 

Damage will take a while to show up.  You def wont see it this soon.  The true scope of the damage shows up when it warms up again.   Keep posting pics! 

• Upvote 1