IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Is The Longest Time You Went Without Water a Palm In a Pot?

PalmTreeDude

What is the longest time period a palm of yours went in a pot without being watered? Yes, rain counts as being watered. For me it was about one month. 

PalmTreeDude

This should be over in the Palms In Pots forum.  Not here. 

Longest I can remember was about 2 weeks.  But really it depends on the palm and the pot, and its location. Outdoors in full sun, I couldn't get away with more than 2 days at the most and that was really pushing it. 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎59‎:‎04‎, PalmTreeDude said:

What is the longest time period a palm of yours went in a pot without being watered? Yes, rain counts as being watered. For me it was about one month. 

I think about a week, but I normally wait to water my coconut palms in pots for about a week in the winter time so as to not cause them to have chilly damp roots, as I leave them out most of the winter and only bring them in if the overnight lows are predicted to drop below 36 or if there is more than 2 or 3 consecutive days of chilly weather with highs only in the 40'sF to around 50F predicted..  I deliberately leave my potted coconut palms out for at least 2 or 3 nights in the mid to upper 30'sF to help harden them off for planting them in the ground the following spring.  Back to the watering issue, I usually water my potted coconut palms every other day in the hot dry summer.  The longest any of my potted palms other than coconuts have gone without water is probably about a week also, but that was not intentional.

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm

The coconut I rescued just went about a month or so without water, I was trying to keep it dry and not kill it like I did the last one. But it seems like the water did more harm than good.

My other palms haven't gone longer than 2-3 weeks without water, and no longer than 1 week in the summer. Forgetting to water in the summer can be dangerous, it doesn't take much heat for my Phoenix roebelleni dry out completely, sometimes I have to water it daily (or twice a day during 100+ degree heat) or else the fronds begin to droop.

Edited by cm05

23 hours ago, cm05 said:

The coconut I rescued just went about a month or so without water, I was trying to keep it dry and not kill it like I did the last one. But it seems like the water did more harm than good.

My other palms haven't gone longer than 2-3 weeks without water, and no longer than 1 week in the summer. Forgetting to water in the summer can be dangerous, it doesn't take much heat for my Phoenix roebelleni dry out completely, sometimes I have to water it daily (or twice a day during 100+ degree heat) or else the fronds begin to droop.

I had do to the same thing with my P. Roebellenis.  Sometimes it was twice a day.  NEVER EVER longer than 2 days in summer, and most of the time it was every single day.  Above 95 or so and it was twice.  They would droop as soon as they needed water and believe me they always let me know very fast.