IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How about a master "Birthday" thread with all the shout outs....???

trioderob

instead of this being  a birthday announcement  forum - how about one huge thread that they all go into 

silly idea ????

Edited by trioderob

I don't understand why there needs to be yet more birthday announcements... when I scroll down on Palm Talm homepage I can already see "today's birthday".

But I guess a huge birthday thread would be better than a dozen birthday threads every week.

The birthday wishes, though well-intentioned, are out of control.  There is a Happy Birthday thread for anyone who ever registered here, even if they never made a single post, or it's been more than a year since they last logged in.  There are more than 12,000 "registered members" and if only 25% listed their birthday, that's still more than 3000 birthdays repeating ad nauseam in Ohana Nui.  (Exactly why I removed my birthday from my profile.) Sorry, not sorry -- it's boring.

At a minimum, couldn't some standards be set?  Member must be currently active?  A single thread for all birthdays gets my vote.

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

and Frankly unless its your parents or child's birthday who really cares ?

in 2 months I turn 56....anyone care ?

( I bet nobody gives a rats arse)

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

I'll NEVER, EVER list my birthday on any public forum. Listing it out in the open like that just removes one more barrier for someone to steal your identity. And if you're wondering, yes, I am involved cyber security every day. There's a good reason why I don't have a twitter account, and my fb account is blank.

Your birthdate is considered Personally Identifiable Information (PII). Protect it. I don't understand the need to enter this information in the member profile, at all. Remember - if you contact your financial institution, one of the things they ask is your birthday!

@PALM MOD I think a proper thing to do would be to remove (or permanently hide) that field altogether in the forum. It would be easy for someone to write a script to scrape all the members' names and birthdays programmatically from PT, which can be sold for profit. This information can then be matched to other PII information gleaned from other open forums you visit (incl. FB), and then piece together a full identity. Once someone gets targeted, it's game over.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 3

Maybe I am naive or too much romantic but I like getting to know how old are the members with who I am used to share some threads, comments and camaraderie.

It gives me an idea of the generation and path in life they follow.  
I also liked the wishes some of you are posting for some other members, most of the time long-lasting and faithful Palmtalk members.

Certainly, the difference of experience and culture (I am french in swiss mountains, most of you are anglo-saxons) explains my different point of view.
But I can take very seriously Pando's comments about cyber security and personally identifiable informations.
The way I am, I am only on Palmtalk forum and nowhere else, maybe it protects me a little. 
In which life are we roaming? Since 2012, I found only humor and friendliness with Palmtalk threads, without thinking birthday wishes could be either boring or dangerous .

As Kris is used to write at the end of his posts:

Love

Philippe

• Upvote 3

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On 12/14/2016, 10:31:37, Kim said:

The birthday wishes, though well-intentioned, are out of control.  There is a Happy Birthday thread for anyone who ever registered here, even if they never made a single post, or it's been more than a year since they last logged in.  There are more than 12,000 "registered members" and if only 25% listed their birthday, that's still more than 3000 birthdays repeating ad nauseam in Ohana Nui.  (Exactly why I removed my birthday from my profile.) Sorry, not sorry -- it's boring.

At a minimum, couldn't some standards be set?  Member must be currently active?  A single thread for all birthdays gets my vote.

I agree 100%

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎50‎:‎02‎, trioderob said:

and Frankly unless its your parents or child's birthday who really cares ?

in 2 months I turn 56....anyone care ?

( I bet nobody gives a rats arse)

And here all this time......

I am really tired of the birthday announcements, and would welcome them confined to a separate category. :)

San Francisco, California

Well, if you don't like BD announcements, remove them from your profile.

That said, a separate forum would seem reasonable.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That said, a separate forum would seem reasonable...

yes, if most of us feel that BD wishes are a nuisance to that sub-forum Ohana Nui named : "IPS friends and family".

I must be too much "fleur bleue" but birthday wishes , in a worldwide scale like IPS  & Palmtalk, are just, with all different cultures and langages here in PT community  (yes, american friends, you're not alone here or in IPS) what we can share in the nicest and easiest way. 

I am afraid I would never visit a specific sub-forum for these BD announcements.

I like Ohana nui off-topic sub-forum the way it is.

• Upvote 1

Philippe

this is what I have been screaming all along.  90% of the announcements come from one user anyway.  unfortunately, selecting "ignore user" does not preclude thread titles created by certain users from showing up in each forum.  otherwise the solution would be simple and left up to each user who objects.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

this is what I have been screaming all along.  90% of the announcements come from one user anyway. 

That sounds too friendly in this "friends and family" sub-forum.
Gladly I don't understand english langage. :D

• Upvote 2

Philippe

there is a line between reasonable and ridiculous.  you tell me what this picture says about this issue:Untitled.thumb.jpg.7161d292deda51efba484

• Upvote 1

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I am glad I can't understand this thread and wonder what is the interest of these posts.

I still love that name:

OHANA NUI ( I don't know the meaning)
extended family (I don't see what it means)

Philippe

6 hours ago, edric said:

It won't happen again!

Edric, I for one thank you for the time you take to wish the people here a happy birthday.

• Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

1 hour ago, Palmaceae said:

Edric, I for one thank you for the time you take to wish the people here a happy birthday.

So do I,
Of course I don't know many people but for those I know through different nice or funny comments in the threads, I like the idea of Birthday wishes.
I miss certain Palmtalk friends who are not there anymore due to health issues but I would like to send them nice wishes.

Philippe

9 hours ago, edric said:

It won't happen again!

I kinda liked seeing them, no skin off my back. Maybe not needed on the people that had not been here in 6 months or more, but there may be a new area soon...

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear ED,

I for one did enjoy your Happy birthday posts and topics..and would never forget your kind words.And special thanks for doing so.

But from reading the above posts from our members,its clear that iam growing old,and rest of the members don't have time to greet our other friends of this forum.And if this forum is only to discuss about palm trees and its growth,its sickness...then why do we need all other topics.Members are taking about how to build houses or footwear or about sun set and sun rise and some about their vacation and some about their new camera performance do we need all those discussions ?

If we are to prohibit all those unwanted discussions.May be it would be highly beneficial to our palmtalk server and its bandwidth.

This thread is a like a big slap on those members who spent their time to wish members whom they have not met personally.But wanted to give them a smile when they woke up on their birthday.

Whatever member grievances are could have been addressed politely.If at all you needed a new sub-topic for 'Seasons greetings and for wishing birthday' then ask for it..

Kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 3

love conquers all..

43278.gif

…..wanted to give them a smile when they woke up on their birthday.

That makes happy sunny palmy days, certainly, Kris !
And I don't believe wishes are sent by anonymous to anonymous,
But if anonymous want a special sub-forum where they'll share nothing, why not?

Philippe

For those following this topic - the PT Committee has been discussing this issue and is close to initiating a plan that should help make the most people happy.

Please stay tuned.

• Upvote 3

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

On 12/17/2016, 12:54:03, edric said:

It won't happen again!

On 12/17/2016, 7:30:02, Palmaceae said:

On 12/17/2016, 9:32:45, doranakandawatta said:

So do I,
Of course I don't know many people but for those I know through different nice or funny comments in the threads, I like the idea of Birthday wishes.
I miss certain Palmtalk friends who are not there anymore due to health issues but I would like to send them nice wishes.

13 hours ago, edric said:

Thanks guys, I only sent them to members, that have signed in in less than a year, Ed

Ed keep it up!

please

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ed, I also appreciate your birthday posts!

When I am too busy or too data limited to sign in daily I can catch up and enjoy the heartfelt and often funny well wishes.

It is easy enough to avoid any content on PT, unlike the data stealing video ads we are all forced to watch on many sites, plus including one's birthdate has never been mandatory here.

However as Palm Mod states: 

2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

For those following this topic - the PT Committee has been discussing this issue and is close to initiating a plan that should help make the most people happy.

Please stay tuned.

And I will second what Dave says in every post:

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Please note the General Announcement near the top of every page - alerting everyone to the new dedicated area created for Birthday wishes "under" the Ohana Nui Forum.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Please stay tuned.

PT has a committee?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

4 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

PT has a committee?

You don't think all this "magic" just happens, do you??? :)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PALM MOD said:

Please note the General Announcement near the top of every page - alerting everyone to the new dedicated area created for Birthday wishes "under" the Ohana Nui Forum.

Awesome!

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

You don't think all this "magic" just happens, do you??? :)

I was always kind of curious about that. Paul Craft (and IPS) seems to be behind Palmtalk.org according to whois, but I have no insight as to how the site is actually run apart from seeing the things you do on here.  

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

I was always kind of curious about that. Paul Craft (and IPS) seems to be behind Palmtalk.org according to whois, but I have no insight as to how the site is actually run apart from seeing the things you do on here.  

The short story is that PalmTalk exists because of the IPS and all the time and hard work that the volunteer Directors have donated throughout the many years since the IPS began. Paul Craft took out the original Domain Registration for PalmTalk as a long time Director and IPS President at the time PalmTalk started.

PalmTalk is just one of the many things that the IPS does to promote an awareness and enjoyment of appreciating palms.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, PALM MOD said:

The short story is that PalmTalk exists because of the IPS and all the time and hard work that the volunteer Directors have donated throughout the many years since the IPS began. Paul Craft took out the original Domain Registration for PalmTalk as a long time Director and IPS President at the time PalmTalk started.

PalmTalk is just one of the many things that the IPS does to promote an awareness and enjoyment of appreciating palms.

Thanks Palm Mod! :greenthumb:

On 18/12/2016 08:40:43, edric said:

Thanks guys, I only sent them to members, that have signed in in less than a year, Ed

So I will never again receive your wishes? :crying:
I am too old now?

Philippe

Philippe, I think he meant if a member had "not" signed in during the last year, he did not start a thread... you are safe! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!