IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PNW freeze

Las Palmas Norte

Cold air has moved in to most areas of the PNW. Some folks got some snow two days ago, although none fell here. That's supposed to happen before the week is out, probably Thursday evening. Recorded a low of 27°F / -2.7°C early this morning. Forecasts are calling for colder overnight temps in the next while, somewhere around 20°F / -6°C :o

Any other NW'ers shivering? Cheers, Barrie.

I saw this on the news.  If I remember correctly the high for today was right around freezing in Seattle and Portland.

13 degrees here right now.  I'm thinking about cancelling my plans to plant coconuts in the spring.

• Upvote 3

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

1 hour ago, pin38 said:

13 degrees here right now.  I'm thinking about cancelling my plans to plant coconuts in the spring.

LOL !!! :lol:

4 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I saw this on the news.  If I remember correctly the high for today was right around freezing in Seattle and Portland.

Not much above freezing here on Vancouver Island ... 37°F / 3°C for a daytime high under bright sunny skies.

Cheers, Barrie.

Nice and sunny, first freeze of the year, 41F/24.8F, Cannas and tallest banana leaves are toast. Just a precaution I did put blankets over my tender young palms, they come off tomorrow. There is a good chance of snow thursday late afternoon but will turn to rain after midnight. 

The battle is on with the approaching warmer rain front and the existing cold air mass. As the two collide we're at the mercy of mother nature.

Cheers, Barrie.

Hit a low of 23F/-5C here. 10-20cm of snow this evening till Friday midday on top of the 15cm of snow we had on Monday. Next week doesn't look good at all sunny but near or below freezing. Expecting some loss of plants if this keeps up. :(

As predicted temps stayed at or just below freezing last night. The front moved in and we got 2 inches of snow here, other areas little or none. It's supposed to melt but not fast enough for my liking.

Cheers, Barrie.

Dec09-16-01.jpg

Dec09-16-02.jpg

Dec09-16-03.jpg

Dec09-16-04.jpg

Dec09-16-05.jpg

• Upvote 5

Barrie I was looking at webcam pics of Vancouver BC and was shocked at all the snow still on the ground,  (mostly to the east of Vancouver) It hasn’t been that bad here, but then again I’m further south.  The agave in your last photo is looking great snow and all. I personally like to put trachys behind my butia (north side) to help give overhead protection. But than again I’m only 8a. You should ask Banana Joe to join Palm talk I asked him once but he said he’s to busy to post at another palm board, LOL! 

Cheers! 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Also on the news last night the weatherman said that we haven’t had a daytime temp below 33F since February 2014.  I didn’t know that, lol. 

There's no business like snow business . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎10‎:‎17‎, Palm crazy said:

Barrie I was looking at webcam pics of Vancouver BC and was shocked at all the snow still on the ground,  (mostly to the east of Vancouver) It hasn’t been that bad here, but then again I’m further south.  The agave in your last photo is looking great snow and all. I personally like to put trachys behind my butia (north side) to help give overhead protection. But than again I’m only 8a. You should ask Banana Joe to join Palm talk I asked him once but he said he’s to busy to post at another palm board, LOL! 

Cheers! 

That's actually a Yucca trecueana and not an Agave. The leaves are as stiff as sheet metal with vicious points. I know Banana Joe and you're right, he's a busy guy.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎57‎:‎55‎, DoomsDave said:

There's no business like snow business . . .

Ya ... some guys with plows can make a ton of cash in a short period of time.

Cheers, Barrie.

• 3 weeks later...

This week has been the coldest this winter so far. 22.5F this morning….the airport 5 miles away is at 14F burrr! Good news no wind today; The high yesterday was only 39F. Cali is getting all our rain I want it back. LOL! I covered up all the tender plants a few days ago. At least it pure sunshine during this cold event. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Ouch, my 26f from earlier has already caused enough havoc. I'm ready for spring  - thanks!

• Upvote 1

Las Palmas Norte    160

• laspalmaslogo.thumb.jpg.7c48cc5f22300c2f
  • FORUM MEMBER
  • 327 posts
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎52‎:‎50‎, pin38 said:

LOL !!! :lol: 

Yeah that's probably a wise decision on your part!  lol

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I went to washington park arboretum in Seattle today to check on the collection of Jubaea and a few of the eucalyptus trees. It doesnt look the weather has bothered the trees any.  

Edited by nick206

11 hours ago, nick206 said:

I went to washington park arboretum in Seattle today to check on the collection of Jubaea and a few of the eucalyptus trees. It doesnt look the weather has bothered the trees any.  

Thats good to know Nick. What interesting is Boeing field has been colder than me by a few degrees and with such low humidity theres no frost.  Its been a while since we all have had such a cold winter. 

Edited by Palm crazy