IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal Palms Naturalized Out of Their Range(

PalmTreeDude

Anyone have pictures of royals naturalized out of the "native range" in Florida? Maybe in places like Tampa or other coastal places where they are not already a well known naturalized/native palm in the area?

PalmTreeDude

5 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Anyone have pictures of royals naturalized out of the "native range" in Florida? Maybe in places like Tampa or other coastal places where they are not already a well known naturalized/native palm in the area?

I've seen them naturalized on Sanibel

The most northern spot on the west coast they have naturalized at is Emerson Point which has been well documented by Zeeth. I'm not aware of any in Hillsborough or Pinelleas counties despite the climate being favorable.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I'm always up for learning new things!

They could also possibly have been translocated north by native Americans--it's a reasonable explanation for being found on the St. Johns River by the Bartrams.  

There are feral populations in southeastern Florida.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

17 hours ago, kylecawazafla said:

That actually looks quite cool there.

PalmTreeDude

I could see natives bringing palms up to the U.S. Why not? They used many plants for various purposes.

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

I was driving up I 95 today and saw a wild Royal growing in the woods near Stuart on the east side of the interstate.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FallbrookCA said:

We kinda have them all over san diego. Never noticed them until I started looking but they are here

Yes, but the specimens we see are planted, not naturalized. At least I have not observed any royals growing wild by the roadside...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

53 minutes ago, Kim said:

Yes, but the specimens we see are planted, not naturalized. At least I have not observed any royals growing wild by the roadside...

True sorry, misunderstood the question 

They have apparently volunteered north of Aldama in southern Tamaulipas around a wet soak/creek, together with Acrocomia, which is normally not found much north of Tampico. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@23.1090936,-98.0248368,3a,37.5y,289.12h,93.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stQnZEEzA1es9QcBRv9iiEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There used to be an old estate kind of house about a half mile northeast of there that had a number planted on the grounds. I remember a large number (over half) had frozen in 1989 but some survivors apparently seeded as the original grounds were left to languish.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, richtrav said:

They have apparently volunteered north of Aldama in southern Tamaulipas around a wet soak/creek, together with Acrocomia, which is normally not found much north of Tampico. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@23.1090936,-98.0248368,3a,37.5y,289.12h,93.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stQnZEEzA1es9QcBRv9iiEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There used to be an old estate kind of house about a half mile northeast of there that had a number planted on the grounds. I remember a large number (over half) had frozen in 1989 but some survivors apparently seeded as the original grounds were left to languish.

Those are nice looking.  I wonder what the annual average rainfall is there in inches?

I've seen 1 naturalised in Conway National Park near Proserpine tropical eastern QLD, Australia. I recommended in my report to have it felled

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KrisKupsch said:

I've seen 1 naturalised in Conway National Park near Proserpine tropical eastern QLD, Australia. I recommended in my report to have it felled

Fair dinkum Kris :)  Its 1 World we live in and if lantana wasnt in all the open steep Mtns around here it would look like Madagascar with landslips everywhere.

Weed inspectors that love having Authority now have more Authority now they have joined with bio security.

Its  alls so farrrked up as  our Planet EARTH  needs more trees and palms planted very very heavily , bar the filthy oil palm plantations..

Such a shame the Gold and Sunshine Coast didn't plant Royals like Rockhampton, rather than the ugly Queens :( 

My 2 cents    Pete :) 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Roystonea elata was the name given to native Florida Royal Palms.  At one time before 1900 they were wild as far north as the Indian River.  In about 1895 Florida had a cataclysmic freeze and it snowed in Havana even.  Later they were restricted to the Everglades but planted around Miami.  Seeds of the Cuban Royal Palm Roystonea regia were brought in from Cuba and planted all over.  R. elata is now considered just a subspecie of R. regia so it is R. regia var. elata.  They two grow on different soild.  R. regia likes uplands and R. regia elata prefers oak hammocks and low ground.  They look different too as elata has a more ponderous trunk but is not quite as tall.  Similar to Washingtonias where one has a taller more slender trunk and the other a shorter thicker trunk.    

Brian Bruning

In Cuba, Roystonea regia seems unfussy about where it grows, except that it's not in really dry or shallow-soil habitats.  Grows quite readily near human activity.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

We have very few Royals growing in the Galveston area, I do so wish they would naturalize here but it's too cold.  On the bright side, Sabal palmetto is volunteering everywhere, they seem to love Texas. 

It just occurred to me... Supposedly royals had a much bigger range in Florida before they were wiped out by a big freeze. Does anyone else find it a little odd they'd be growing in Fakahatchee? Fakahatchee is some form of 10a if I'm not mistaken so there are plenty of places in Florida that are warmer. 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b