Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lytocaryum insigne

6 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Laaz said:

So how do we get these to the US?     http://www.e-jardim.com/produto_completo.asp?IDProduto=344#

I've been trying to locate some of these for a while...

Same here, let me know if you get a bead on any.  There is a L hoehnei on eBay, Todd, that you might be able to get - he can't ship it to California. :rant:

Thanks Ben, already have a very nice Hoehnei  & Weddellianum ... Looking for a few of the other two.

2 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Thanks Ben, already have a very nice Hoehnei  & Weddellianum ... Looking for a few of the other two.

Grrrr...all I have been able to find is Wedellianum...and the crosses with Queen/Butia.  Need the others.

8 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Same here, let me know if you get a bead on any.  There is a L hoehnei on eBay, Todd, that you might be able to get - he can't ship it to California. :rant:

Floribunda sells L. hoehnei, too. I have 8 (I can't ship alas)

Just now, DoomsDave said:

Floribunda sells L. hoehnei, too. I have 8 (I can't ship alas)

I know - on my list for the spring order...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Lytocaryum insigne
      By Pal Meir
      On the occasion of the first pinnate leaf  of my N°1401 I open a new thread for this only little known species Lytocaryum insigne TOLEDO 1944 (now again Syagrus insignis BECC. 1916, former Cocos insignis MART. 1854 and Glaziova insignis DRUDE 1881)
      Please post your pics of L insigne here, too! It doesn’t matter if they are in pots, in gardens, or (best of all) in habitat.
      I begin with my oldest baby N°1401, born 2014-02-14 during the cold winter in Germany, grown up together with nine other siblings, out of which six emigrated into other European countries, so that at my place now are remaining still four plants: N°1401, 1402, 1404, and 1408. Here comes the biggest one, about 1 m high (without pot; the split leaf was damaged by wind, it is not bifid):

And here all 10 siblings still together in their kindergarten:

• Lytocaryum: Syagrus insignis vs. S. weddellianum
      By Pal Meir
      Syagrus insignis vs S. weddelliana
      Between 1995 and 2010 the species Lytocaryum insigne (now again Syagrus insignis) was treated as synonym for the "correct" term Lytocaryum weddellianum (now Syagrus weddelliana). In this thread I am trying to document the differences between these two species during their first years since germination.
      Literature discussing the genus Lytocaryum (Noblick & Lorezi 2010) and its transfer to Syagrus (Noblick & Meerow 2015) can be downloaded as pdf:
      http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2010/v54n1p5_17.pdf
      http://www.researchgate.net/publication/281374491_The_transfer_of_the_genus_Lytocaryum_to_Syagrus
      (or via IPS)
      It would be very nice if also other members could contribute their photos which show the characteristic differences between these two species or their similarities when they have pinnate leaves.
      My first sketch shows the typical habit of adult trees. I regret that I don’t have my own photos which I could post here. The next photos document that it can be impossible to distinguish their seeds: Seeds of S. insignis may be smaller or bigger or of the same size.
      The other photos document the differences between the seedlings, beginning with photos of half a year old juvenile plants. All Syagrus weddelliana germinated in April 2013, all Syagrus insignis in February and March 2014.
      Here the sketches: Actually S. insignis (here from Espírito Santo) is much taller than S. weddelliana (here Rio de Janeiro) and its trunk is also much thicker:

Two seeds looking totally alike:

All seeds of S. insignis which germinated in 2014 were smaller than the average of L. weddelliana:

And here three seeds of actually germinated palms:

• Lytocaryum insigne Seedlings 1½ year old
      By Pal Meir
      Lytocaryum insigne seedlings remaining! Four 1½ year old seedlings to give away in Europe (max. 2 per person). Anyone interested? Present location is NW Germany, not far from NL. They are potted in 14.8×17.4 cm plastic containers.