IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bromeliad Tree

Neil C

Thought I'd share my bromeliad tree. Initially tied on with fishing line and left to fend for themselves. Anyone else have anything similar? Please share if you do. I've also include some before pics taken several years ago.

58400ff52ad00_brtree007.jpg.11312f60420c584010064c6b2_brtree009.jpg.14e73f2ca02abromtree1.JPG.2d1b45bf163678ca399166c56fbrom1.JPG.20b4425172c9a15ea8e9abf7974939

Regards Neil

• Upvote 13

Spectacular !  Do you know the name of the red neo ?

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I love the look, for some reason the first one looks very christmassy, put some light on and your good to go! 

Edited by Palm crazy

Nice job. This is  a corner of my old front garden in Guatemala. Red bromes in the case are Neo. 'Fireball'. Incredibly prolific plants that must have good light to show off color. Shade-grow plants will generally be green. For size reference, the alcantarea is almost 2.80 m/9' across

58408366b7f67_Frontgarden.thumb.JPG.e26a

• Upvote 9

13 minutes ago, stone jaguar said:

For size reference, the alcantarea is almost 2.80 m/9' across

That is a huge imperialis. How old is it?

Oh, and beautiful tree Neil. I'd like to do something like this in my yard, I got plenty of trees to hang things off of.

Edited by Pando

For palms I know where to ask; either for seeds or seedlings,

But how is it for bromeliads? seeds? plants? worldwide shipping? Who knows?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I'm afraid I have no idea what the red neos are but a google search suggests fireball is a good bet. Do none of the nurseries in Sri lanka carry any bromeliads? Thank all for the replies and pics.

Regards Neil

This is not a tree but a retaining wall.

IMG_0620.thumb.jpg.bd3c6fb6bb44d70bbc19d

These are on Dypsis lutescens trunks.

IMG_1713.thumb.JPG.9e6366442ddec0be28504

• Upvote 8

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Look Fab Neil, must get some looks when people drive past, you need a Tiger or 2  up in a sunny spot in the fork of the tree. Love the Spanish moss,( Tillandsia usenoides) sets it off.. :greenthumb: Pete58400ff52ad00_brtree007.jpg.11312f60420c

• Upvote 2

Thanks Pete. The birds steal bits of the moss for their nests but I'm worry someone might jump the fence and swipe big chunks of it. There is a small portion of moss in the bush right by the fence so if someone really wants some I'm hoping they help themselves to that first.

Regards Neil

That tree is amazing. I can only dream of establishing something similar in my garden as it is just too dry down this way.

5 hours ago, Neil C said:

That brom wall looks great. I seem to remember you starting a second one?

Regards Neil

Yes I did, the wall in this photo was the source for broms for the new one so for the moment it is not quite as lush as it appears in this older photo.

Pando:

That alcantarea was about 10 years old from seed when the photo was taken. It bloomed out a couple years later in 2015. It was a very run-of-the-mill variety from Tropiflora, but I also had some very good select reds from other sources out back that achieved similar dimensions over the same time period. IME, Alcantarea imperialis grows much larger under cool tropical/subtropical conditions than they do in fully warm tropical gardens. More specifically, warm (not hot) days coupled with cool nights appear to be key to getting ~9' diameters at flowering on a a consistent basis. I have a well-grown offset of a very fine red clone, originally from Guy Wrinkle, fully exposed year-round on my deck in the Bay Area and it has also grown from a solid grass pup to a sizeable potted example (4.5' diameter) in four+ years. 

That imperialis in your photo is a true monster. It's amazing the dimensions that some Bromeliads can achieve.

Regards Neil

Spectacular, Neil!  what a great display it makes.

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

On 02/12/2016, 22:37:22, Neil C said:

Thanks Pete. The birds steal bits of the moss for their nests but I'm worry someone might jump the fence and swipe big chunks of it. There is a small portion of moss in the bush right by the fence so if someone really wants some I'm hoping they help themselves to that first.

Regards Neil

Next time yr down this way, { if you want) bring 2 mtrs of the Tillandsia ( spanish moss) for 2 good sized well coloured Tigers ( currently in full sun) which will bite on to the tree esp in a fork tied on with long strips of hessian or the likes, and for would be thieve's put a sign up saying Smile for the camera's.. :)

Edit, heres 1 for example

Pete

IMGP2962.thumb.JPG.37ce8bc4b88ba665ae532

Neil, your tree is an inspiration! I went to a bromeliad sale today and bought several species of Tillandsia, including Spanish moss, and small Neos to decorate my large spinach tree. I plan to start attaching them tomorrow.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎39‎:‎19‎, Neil C said:

I'm afraid I have no idea what the red neos are but a google search suggests fireball is a good bet. Do none of the nurseries in Sri lanka carry any bromeliads? Thank all for the replies and pics.

Regards Neil

Neil, What is the height of the leaves on the red neos? There is a larger hybrid  of "Fireball" that is named "Superball" H8" x W15", "Fireball is about half the size of "Superball".  

Great looking Super Fireball at it best... The Spanish moss add to a wild touch.... Beautiful

Nice work to all....

Here are my Trees .. In the Bay Area

4950_1056778511642_2020982_n.jpg

4950_1056778551643_8191616_n.jpg

DSC00380.JPG

DSC00384 (1).JPG

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, WonderKeeper said:

Great looking Super Fireball at it best... The Spanish moss add to a wild touch.... Beautiful

Nice work to all....

Here are my Trees .. In the Bay Area

4950_1056778511642_2020982_n.jpg

4950_1056778551643_8191616_n.jpg

DSC00380.JPG

DSC00384 (1).JPG

Awesome ,assorted display Kenneth :greenthumb:  Pete