IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wildfire in Tennessee

DoomsDave

I visited eastern Tennessee in the early 1990s with my younger brother and we roared through that lush practically rain forest landscape that was so green you could scream.

Now the whole place is on fire. I guess I got a bit distracted, but I hope no one in PT has any friends or relatives there. The death toll has risen to 7 and it looks bad.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/death-toll-rises-to-7-in-gatlinburg-wildfires/ar-AAkXIV0?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp

gatlinburg.jpg.c9e7f470fa7ef0ed64173514b

583f566a207cf_gatlinburg.jpg.661ac654623

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

583f57137b591_gatlinpeople.jpg.8b35ed8d3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This was terrible, my wife and I were up in Gatlinburg a couple months ago, such a beautiful area.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Really bad news for sure ... much of us in the pacific states and British Columbia know all too well. :o

Cheers and best wishes to those effected, Barrie. 

6 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

This was terrible, my wife and I were up in Gatlinburg a couple months ago, such a beautiful area.

It really is. And they're not prepared like we're supposed to be out here.

The Appalachians have always had fires, largely on dry mountaintops and ridges, places where you see pines and oaks.  

To the best of my knowledge (which is rusty), the lush forests on the lower slopes and in the coves should hardly ever burn.  There was no reason for people in Gatlinburg to be elaborately prepared for what happened.  Some had metal roofs and such, but I doubt that typical Western safety measures were being pushed.  

I was shocked, and stayed awake most of last night.  The big modern hotel where people in the lobby made shocking videos of flames outside, is open for business and renting rooms for December.  

The extent of fires in the southern Appalachians seems unprecedented.  Northeastern Florida had a horrible fire season in 1998 but a lot of that was in sand pine scrub vegetation.  The pines are short-lived and contrive to commit mass suicide-by-fire, opening their closed cones post-fire just like some western pines.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hmm.

They've arrested two "juveniles" for starting the fires. For now, authorities aren't identifying anyone or providing any details. We'll get that soon enough, I'm sure.

But . . .

This little tidbit left me disturbed: the fire started on November 23, 2016 on a ridgetop, but burst forth on November 28, five days later.

What were the firemen doing? Were any efforts being made to contain the fire?

In keeping with Dave-Vero's comments, and my own (even fuzzier) experiences, it would seem reasonable for there to be little to fear from a fire like that for people in the lush green valleys. Until now.

On the other hand, it would seem reasonable to try and make some effort to contain the fire.

Of course, our efforts at containment out here in the West are sometimes of dubious value.

I hope it wasn't bureaucratic inaction or infighting that led to the fire not being fought.

There's a smell to this . . .

The odor was from my own overactive imagination, apparently. Which is good.

I've been advised by a former resident of G-burg that the fire had started on a ridgetop, which was very dry and flammable and the numerous crews from all over had tried very hard to put it out.

I guess I've been out here too long. Any place except Tucson and Phoenix seems like a rain forest . . . .

East_of_Chimney_Tops2_Fire_2016_12_03-14