IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia Fallaensis seeds!

Palmdude

Howdy Palmstalkers! 

It's been a while! I'm so excited that with any luck I might be growing some "Copernicia Fallaemsis" (my holy grail palm!) from the seeds I just purchased from RPS! Combine that with buying the 1/4 acre lot next door, and today was a great day! I see more palms and more posts In my future! And now I'll actually have room for a few Falaensis! So wish me luck and grab a few of these seeds before they're gone again! :) 

Peace, Love and PalmTrees! 

IMG_0951.PNG

• Upvote 8

The ultimate holiday gift.. perhaps? .. Good luck with the seed and extra space to play around with. Keep us updated. Nice to see you're still alive. Beginning to wonder if you'd been consumed by the garden, lol. :greenthumb::)

12 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have had 50% germination thusfar in 8 days time, so you'll have good luck.  

Encouraging news! That's fantastic! Now we just need to pray for pure Fallaensis genetics :) 

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

The ultimate holiday gift.. perhaps? .. Good luck with the seed and extra space to play around with. Keep us updated. Nice to see you're still alive. Beginning to wonder if you'd been consumed by the garden, lol. :greenthumb::)

Lol close! I've been consumed by orders for my artwork and haven't had much time or desire for other activities on the computer. Garden was neglected for a while but it's all cleaned up and ready for some pics so I'll post an update some day soon. Everything is growing like mad :)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Steve said:

Awesome Rob!

Are they being sold individually or as seed packs?

It would be great to see a photo update of your pad!

Hey Steve!

theyre being sold in packs of 10, around $5 a piece :) 

I need to post pics of what those seeds you gave me grew into. :) 

The price isn't bad if they're the real deal. The problem with RPS and rare species like this is that you can never be sure until the plants are a few years old. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

17 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

The price isn't bad if they're the real deal. The problem with RPS and rare species like this is that you can never be sure until the plants are a few years old. 

My thoughts exactly. That's why I said with any luck I'll be growing some Fallaensis lol sooooo wish me luck! It's a gamble but worth rolling the dice. Besides I haven't met a copernicia hybrid that I haven't liked yet :) 

Edited by Palmdude
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Palmdude said:

My thoughts exactly. That's why I said with any luck I'll be growing some Fallaensis lol sooooo wish me luck! It's a gamble but worth rolling the dice. Besides I haven't met a copernicia hybrid that I haven't liked yet :) 

I talked to someone about these seeds who knows who collected them, and he says that he would be confident that they're the real deal. I decided to make the plunge and buy 10 seeds as well, so hopefully it pays off!

Keith 

Sounds encouraging. I wondered about these seeds too. I bought C. rigida seeds (my holy grail Cuban palm) a couple years ago. None of them germinated.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Sounds encouraging. I wondered about these seeds too. I bought C. rigida seeds (my holy grail Cuban palm) a couple years ago. None of them germinated.

Congratulations...ought to be cool to see the future yearly before and after pics!

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

On 11/29/2016, 7:52:34, Rusty on Pine Is. said:

Congratulations...ought to be cool to see the future yearly before and after pics!

And maybe they'll grow up to be as gorgeous as yours!!! I wonder how long that would take? 

Edited by Palmdude

• 1 month later...

I just received my (10) seeds today from RPS.    I'm a little worried as they were in the mail almost a month.   We'll see how it goes.  

Rps Copernicia have been fantastic quality recently and I'm sure you will have some success. I have recently received a few different Copernicia species from them and can report decent germ rates on all species I have tried 

Rps Copernicia have been fantastic quality recently and I'm sure you will have some success. I have recently received a few different Copernicia species from them and can report decent germ rates on all species I have tried 

I got mine after over a month in the mail due to the Christmas season. After soaking and putting into sterile germination medium, half promptly sprouted. Some of the non-sprouted half don't look so good, but if I end up with 1 plant from the seed batch it was still cheaper than buying one.

Keith 

I was surprised at how small the Fallaensis seeds are.  About the size of a pea.   

I wasn't expecting much as they sat in the mail for about a month.  

To my surprise- 4 seeds popped in under 72 hours.    

Fingers crossed for the remaining 6 seeds.    Thanks Toby !!

IMG_1589.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good luck to all who are germinating seed of Copernicia fallaensis.  It's a great palm.  I'm very happy to have this one growing in the garden. 

Copernicia fallaense,  6-15.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 2 months later...

I bought 20 seeds from Rps (I received them dry). Planted them in well drained soil. Never let them dry. Temperature here never goes below 26m at night. 4 month later: nothing is coming out...

Hello there,

I got hooked as well with this awesome plant - the photos taken by bgl in gbarce`s garden in Manila were impressive -

so, next thing I did was sending an order to rps (C.fallaensis and C. hospitata), recieved them almost four weeks later around March 22nd

and here they are...

001x.thumb.jpg.332d136e96e83c680290cd1c5

That`s five of ten within two weeks - not bad!

Here is another picture (for Pal Meir`s Labeled Germination thread ;))

003x.thumb.jpg.8c3dcac272ad7cf996a7d8e88

I am really happy and hoping that I will be able to grow this species well over here!

best regards

palmfriend

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I remember about 5 years back, I bought three seedlings of this palm. They later turned out to be gigas. Love gigas, but it was a real bummer! Today, I have four of the real deal in the ground and about 20 seedlings that are about 3 years old. My largest fallaensis is about 13' tall. All are blue and all are very haus. 

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I didn't started this topic but I hope it is OK to reply.

I have posted a photo of my young sprouts two years ago and here at three of them -

the other two must be somewhere else in the garden.

x01.thumb.jpg.e3b220489b8e6fdc2da12cc43bd1ef40.jpg

Two potted ones, doing well.

x02.thumb.jpg.d8a161b12820e6b1b780fa9e6677f2da.jpg

Here my planted out one, pushing its third leaf which came out a month ago but it is constantly getting bigger. 

Fingers crossed that it is a bit speeding up from now.

Best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 1

From the first batch... 2 gallon pot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1559604559883729695652903026598.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

6 months old...  2 gallon pots.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15596047797632744934049537142970.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

• 9 months later...

Would Copernicia fallaensis grow in say San Francisco, New Zealand, Azores or another coolish no frost climate lacking summer heat above 26C (80F)? Such climates don't go above 18F or 64F for most of the year except 3-4 summer months. Would CF do fine in such climate?

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

14 hours ago, SoulofthePlace said:

Would Copernicia fallaensis grow in say San Francisco, New Zealand, Azores or another coolish no frost climate lacking summer heat above 26C (80F)? Such climates don't go above 18F or 64F for most of the year except 3-4 summer months. Would CF do fine in such climate?

No! This species definitely needs HEAT to grow...Mine sit still till days are in the 80'sF.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Fallaensis likes to be fed NPK and the important micros, and grown in carribean warmth, full sun, and moisture.  It also likes a slightly alkaline pH.  Im not sure I make it on the pH but I put down dolomite to help this every two years.   One of these seedlings may take 15-25 years to trunk' depending on how warm and happy it is.  It is a palm for the future, there is no short term gratification from a seedling.  If you are under 30 and you can grow one in your area, you might get to see it in its full glory one day.  Mine is 10 years in the ground from a 9-10' overall transplant and it was expected that it was already  near 15 years old when planted.     

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I found this on DG:

Copernicia is a genus of palms that is almost too slow to even bother trying to grow in most of California (with a few exceptions)… and many are very marginal in the first place. Surprisingly, many of these marginal species seem to thrive in the lower deserts and survive the freak lows seen there that seem to otherwise kill them off in climates will less cold extremes, but more importantly, less heat. I can grow maybe four species of Copernicia in Los Angeles, but there are over twice that many species that are doing well in the deserts of California and Phoenix, some incredibly ornamental, too. Copernica alba, C. prunifera, C. hospita, C. gigas, C. fallensis, C. baileyana, C. curtsii, C. macroglossa, C. beteroana and C. rigida are a few that seem to like the deserts.

• Like 3

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown