IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix alfredii before & after

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Since everyone loves before and after pictures, I thought the pics of my "Three Amigo" B. alfredii might prove instructive.

Here they are, planted around a big D. decipiens that later died. :( Picture below with The Shoe TM for idea on size. They were planted in 2009 (maybe 2010) from five gallons.

IMG_6127.thumb.JPG.a8ac3cfd620ba20200572IMG_6131.thumb.JPG.d6bfa2450b2df6c04be89

Edited by DoomsDave
  • Upvote 6

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here they are now. An easy 20 feet (6.6 M) tall no trunk yet.

That's a Roystonea borenquenia to the right.

IMG_4827.thumb.JPG.3ff13ef4c3d41c9912559

• Upvote 17

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

How long, Dave?

2209 to 2016. Maybe 2010.

Much agua.

Just now, DoomsDave said:

2209 to 2016. Maybe 2010.

Much agua.

Very impressive, at least for California...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Mine aren't even the biggest. Len's is bigger, and I hear that a specimen in Corona (near Riverside) has trunk.

11 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Very impressive, at least for California...

For sure try some up north. Hawaiians and Samoans will scream, thinking they're coconuts.

1 minute ago, DoomsDave said:

For sure try some up north. Hawaiians and Samoans will scream, thinking they're coconuts.

Oh yes, I have all three in ground...one likely folly, but you can't stop me trying.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Just now, Ben in Norcal said:

Oh yes, I have all three in ground...one likely folly, but you can't stop me trying.

NO window will grow, too, slower than molasses in January in Fairbanks, but worth it. Full sun, if you can. 8 feet tall after about 10 years, no trunk. 25 feet after 30 still no trunk. But pretty!

• Upvote 1

They looking good .D.D :greenthumb:

I can't wait till trunking specimens become a common sight. They will be epic and I think they are the future for palms in landscapes 

Congratulations Dave!! Excellent specimen!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

55 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

They looking good .D.D :greenthumb:

I can't wait till trunking specimens become a common sight. They will be epic and I think they are the future for palms in landscapes 

The next Phoenix Canariensis.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

dang Dave! nicely done.  I marveled at those bad boys when I was there last. keep up the great work!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

how is that Dypsis decipiens doing in the first picture? I don't remember seeing that one?

any current pictures?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

how is that Dypsis decipiens doing in the first picture? I don't remember seeing that one?

any current pictures?

DEAD

sob

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

The before photos were taken on 25 June 2009: B)

5839977cb3695_BeccariophoenixalfrediiIMG

Makes sense.

I bought them in March of that year.

On 11/25/2016, 9:19:59, GottmitAlex said:

The next Phoenix Canariensis.

Very possible!

• Upvote 1

very nice! I have one in the ground here in Fresno and several back up seedlings. I also have one planted at my parent's place in Madera county. Can't wait to watch them grow up!

3 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

very nice! I have one in the ground here in Fresno and several back up seedlings. I also have one planted at my parent's place in Madera county. Can't wait to watch them grow up!

Mucho agua!

A lotta water!

Viele Wasser!

Wotta watta - ITAI!

• Upvote 2

On November 25, 2016 at 7:34:08 PM, DoomsDave said:

Whoa......nice!! They have definitely grown big time since I last saw them in person last spring. Coco jungly looking! What a great palm. In a few years there will be monsters all over California and beyond......

• Upvote 2

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

That's a real shame about the D decipiens, what happened? I didn't assume that it was a difficult grow in SoCal. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

On 11/25/2016, 10:34:08, DoomsDave said:

Looking awesome!   Congrats!   Next best thing to having coconut palms for sure.  I can't wait to see them all over as mature specimens.  A lot lot more places are going to look a whole lot more tropical in the next decade or so. :-)

• Upvote 1

So FINALLY !!!! Iv seen a massive one now at Palms for Brisbane. Its the first time iv ever seen one with Trunk.

To be honest.. This is the palm to be planted instead of Canary Date Palms for all temperate regions of the world.

BUT I do think after living in the tropics, and seeing a trunking version that B. alfredii is not very coconutty at all....Its got its own look I say. So Samoans and perhaps Hawaiians wouldnt be rushing to think they coconuts.. Rather B. fenestralis is the more coconutty of the two for sure.

Again, I would rather see a Beccario than a Phoenix

1 hour ago, cassowaryhill said:

So FINALLY !!!! Iv seen a massive one now at Palms for Brisbane. Its the first time iv ever seen one with Trunk.

To be honest.. This is the palm to be planted instead of Canary Date Palms for all temperate regions of the world.

BUT I do think after living in the tropics, and seeing a trunking version that B. alfredii is not very coconutty at all....Its got its own look I say. So Samoans and perhaps Hawaiians wouldnt be rushing to think they coconuts.. Rather B. fenestralis is the more coconutty of the two for sure.

Will agree in that for sure.  Fenestralis is truly a doppelgänger.   Alfredii the next closest thigh for sure.    Their crowns are just a little more upright.  The Fenestralis gets the more fully rounded more relaxed crown.   The trunk is thicker though.   

They Are Zeeth! Still a GORGEOUS palm.. Cant wait for them to take over the world and no more Canary Date Palms

On 11/25/2016, 7:56:50, DoomsDave said:

I have 10 in the ground:) now I just need to wait a few more years

2 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

We can agree on   that much!

• Upvote 1

Mine are not in an optimal growth zone, but it is somewhat safer than being exposed.  

15259417_10154263938197424_5302897340058577469_o[1].jpg

• Upvote 3

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages