Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"File upload failed" message - why?

12 posts in this topic

I've tried uploading a number of pictures to this site and keep getting file upload failed messages.

Why is this and what can be done?

 

Thanks

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this message frequently until site had an upgrade, now just occasionally. Don't know why this happens. Sometimes I suspect I don't click the upload feature "authoritatively" enough. The feature seems to abhor "wishy-washy" clicks. I just repeat upload actions until one takes. A time-consuming PITA to be sure but I know no other options. I also make sure now that my photos aren't overly large as that also may annoy the upload gods.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I've tried uploading a number of pictures to this site and keep getting file upload failed messages.

Why is this and what can be done?

 

Thanks

 

Dave - information is good. Like what is the file size you are trying to upload? Are you uploading one or multiple?  What are the pixel dimensions? Are you choosing your photo or dragging and dropping? Are you uploading from a desktop or phone? What OS? Is the version up to date? Can you upload any photos at all? I thought I saw you post some within the past few days? etc. etc. etc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dean:

Thanks for the response!

It seems to happen to particular pictures, whether singly or in groups.

Average size is about 4 MB

I have Windows 10, on a desktop. I'm choosing the photo.

I can upload some pictures but not others; I can't discern any reason why.

I'll experiment a bit, based on the message you gave me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave - I think it is the pixel dimensions that is confusing the software. There are so many weird sizes coming out of cameras these days. I'm curious, when you have an issue, tell me the pic dimensions.

Having said that, I'm working on another solution. Should be rolled out soon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

Dave - I think it is the pixel dimensions that is confusing the software. There are so many weird sizes coming out of cameras these days. I'm curious, when you have an issue, tell me the pic dimensions.

Having said that, I'm working on another solution. Should be rolled out soon.

Okay

will dig up pixels for pics

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed this from both Safari on a Mac and iOS. The odd thing is, if I get a file upload error and post my comment anyway, I can immediately edit that post and insert the exact same picture without an error.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2017, 2:19:01, Matt in OC said:

I've noticed this from both Safari on a Mac and iOS. The odd thing is, if I get a file upload error and post my comment anyway, I can immediately edit that post and insert the exact same picture without an error.

It's a memory allocation error that I am working on.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some trouble uploading the past few days. I've tried Safari and Firefox and get the file upload error. I resized the picture a few times and still didn't have any success. 

edit: I had to shrink this below 1MB before it would upload.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 16.14.59.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still having this problem. I tried shrinking the jpg down and still got an error, but it said error processing image -200. I converted the file to a much larger PNG and it uploaded fine in this thread. I tried Firefox and Safari on OS X with the same errors.

 

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/45187-what-is-this-palm-seen-in-fancy-hotel-called-pelican-hill-in-socal/&_fromLogin=1#replyForm

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt - I think any remaining problems are related to pixel dimensions, not file size. Can you tell me the pixel dimensions of photos that fail to upload? But in addition - your example - it looks as if you are trying an almost 18MB upload. It looks like it failed on the 11 MB photo. That is a huge photo.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just took a test picture from my iPhone 7plus. The image size is 3024x4032, 72dpi, 2.3MB. This is with the default camera app, no retouching or anything. The photo failed to upload. Thanks!

On 4/17/2017, 5:18:52, PALM MOD said:

Matt - I think any remaining problems are related to pixel dimensions, not file size. Can you tell me the pixel dimensions of photos that fail to upload? But in addition - your example - it looks as if you are trying an almost 18MB upload. It looks like it failed on the 11 MB photo. That is a huge photo.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0