IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corona ca Coconut

JubaeaMan138

15 hours ago, chinandega81 said:

La Quinta coco, downed. Mexicali coco, downed. Corona coco, downed. Not sure why, just random bad luck I suppose. And all of these were pretty healthy and doing well. So disappointing.

Some people have an unexplainable EXTREME HATRED for palms.  I ran into someone just the other day who said she didn't like them because of "increased roaches" with palms.  I told her I grow a lot of palms and don't seem to have any more roaches than anyone else.

John

• Like 2

I do not believe it is hatred. Bubonic stupidity. Please tell me the other La Quinta Coconut, pictured rather recently by Michael, was not cut down! 

I have not looked closely but I have never seen coconuts on any palm grown in California. If this is false, please post pictures.

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

Agree with @bubba. Ignorance and idiocy. I will miss reading about this coconut. When I told my husband, he said, “Why didn’t someon post a sign explaining why the palm was unique and should be saved?” Easy to say, I guess.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this coconut in Cali has been mentioned before. I double checked on Google Maps and was able to located the palm and it is still standing in that photo. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jadd Correia said:

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this coconut in Cali has been mentioned before. I double checked on Google Maps and was able to located the palm and it is still standing in that photo. 

Hi, 

great video - thank you for posting!

I am not a 100% sure but I think that this beautiful coconut palm is already in the pt community's archives... :D

Lars

• Like 2

I don’t believe any coconuts grown up north ever produce fruit. That requires two years of high heat and humidity but the northern climate doesn’t provide that. Even if by some miracle a coconut palm flowers its offspring will abort long before ripening. I’ve read on this forum that coconut palms grown above 1,000 ft elevation in HI do not produce fruit. Not enough long term heat.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, Jadd Correia said:

Hey everyone,

What's the latitude of this Santa Ana coco?

12 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I don’t believe any coconuts grown up north ever produce fruit. That requires two years of high heat and humidity but the northern climate doesn’t provide that. Even if by some miracle a coconut palm flowers its offspring will abort long before ripening. I’ve read on this forum that coconut palms grown above 1,000 ft elevation in HI do not produce fruit. Not enough long term heat.

Apparently around Guadalajara and Lake Chapala, Mexico, there are full grown mature Coconut Palms with some nuts on them, though they may not be full grown.  From what I understand, the elevation there is around 5,000 ft. above sea level.  I have a friend who lived in that area several years ago, and he sent me some pics of them.  Till then, I too thought that Coconut Palms would not even grow above 3,000 ft. elevation, even well within the Tropics, much less produce nuts at that elevation, but apparently some varieties actually can be grown at higher elevations, and even produce some nuts.

John

P.S.  Apparently, the Green Hawaiian Tall (as opposed to the Golden Hawaiian Tall) is more cold/cool hardy and can be successfully grown (and maybe even produce some nuts) at higher elevations than the Golden Hawaiian Tall.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I was driving through Corona recently and I too wanted to see the famous coconut palm and of course I was disappointed to see it had been cut down...

But anyway, thought I'd share some pictures of my little coconut growing in Cathedral City. 

PXL_20220714_140339881.jpg

PXL_20220714_140502892.jpg

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Conrad said:

Hello! I was driving through Corona recently and I too wanted to see the famous coconut palm and of course I was disappointed to see it had been cut down...

But anyway, thought I'd share some pictures of my little coconut growing in Cathedral City. 

PXL_20220714_140339881.jpg

PXL_20220714_140502892.jpg

Killer!!! Cathedral city I bet you could grow some seriously killer palms . Riverside over here . Similar weather but you are slightly hotter and slightly colder during winter . 

• Like 5

I do not understand why you guys in California, particularly in the desert regions including but not limited to Yuma, Arizona, do not attempt to transplant a mature Cocos nucifera specimen.

This is done many times in Florida with complete success. I think it should be at least attempted in the western regions that are amenable.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, TheWaterbug said:

This guy in Modesto has a few. Dunno how big they are or how healthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg3ZxoR3EBA

His coconuts are newly planted and, as Jeff stated in the video, he knows they will not survive their first winter. He’s experimenting to see just how long they survive this winter before succumbing to long chilly spells in his area. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

13 hours ago, bubba said:

I do not understand why you guys in California, particularly in the desert regions including but not limited to Yuma, Arizona, do not attempt to transplant a mature Cocos nucifera specimen.

This is done many times in Florida with complete success. I think it should be at least attempted in the western regions that are amenable.

I agree with what you are saying completely. But you are talking about a multi thousand dollar operation involving a crane and a crew to install so it would take someone with a higher level of financial resources than more PT members have or are willing spend on an experiment.

When I am retired(I’m in my 40s not for a long time) I will attempt this exactly. But since there are no mature specimens in any of the CA nurseries getting the palm in the first place will be the biggest challenge.

• Like 4

This is a very common activity in South Florida and coconut palms are probably the least transplanted because they grow quickly in this climate. Because it really is a commercial enterprise in this area, the expense is low and the “machine” necessary to do this transplantation is fully in place. Well known South Florida growers, like Ken Johnson, primarily transplant specimens that are much rarer than coconuts (Borrasus, Copernicia, etc.). 

I also know that agricultural laws are very strict in California and throughout the United States, which severely limit transportation of palms and other tropical varieties of fruits because of legitimate concerns about disease transportation. That stated, I am certain that fully grown specimens of coconuts would have a much greater likelihood of surviving in the California climate (it would give the necessary boost).

The California climate has already produced numerous fully grown specimens (Newport Beach, La Quinta, Corona) that we know about. The problem with the California climate is the extremely slow growth encountered because of the lack of heat (which is a blessing for humans but a problem for tropicals like coconuts). There are certainly enough avid hobbyists or beyond (Dave,Matt,Len,etc), who are highly skilled and knowledgeable to perfect this technique in California. I believe the transplantation of relatively mature coconut palms in California will hasten their movement towards a much more common sight in your landscape.

• Like 4

Maybe we could do a group buy and get 50 trees shipped from FL along with a crew and machinery to install them. 

I’m in for 1!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

what a cursed people and totally mad.. it's already the second one they cut large in los angeles.... what goats goats goats!!!! these things make me angry guys .... then the paleme like syagrus etc leave them ...

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 10:50 AM, GottmitAlex said:

The Corona house still looks vacant. 

I pray the new owners don't cut down this California coco palm.

🥵

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 7/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, bubba said:

This is a very common activity in South Florida and coconut palms are probably the least transplanted because they grow quickly in this climate. Because it really is a commercial enterprise in this area, the expense is low and the “machine” necessary to do this transplantation is fully in place. Well known South Florida growers, like Ken Johnson, primarily transplant specimens that are much rarer than coconuts (Borrasus, Copernicia, etc.). 

I also know that agricultural laws are very strict in California and throughout the United States, which severely limit transportation of palms and other tropical varieties of fruits because of legitimate concerns about disease transportation. That stated, I am certain that fully grown specimens of coconuts would have a much greater likelihood of surviving in the California climate (it would give the necessary boost).

The California climate has already produced numerous fully grown specimens (Newport Beach, La Quinta, Corona) that we know about. The problem with the California climate is the extremely slow growth encountered because of the lack of heat (which is a blessing for humans but a problem for tropicals like coconuts). There are certainly enough avid hobbyists or beyond (Dave,Matt,Len,etc), who are highly skilled and knowledgeable to perfect this technique in California. I believe the transplantation of relatively mature coconut palms in California will hasten their movement towards a much more common sight in your landscape.

A kind of compromise technique that could be applied there now, and that I use here in my marginal climate for Coconut Palms, would be to grow them up to 8 ft to 10 ft. tall in overall height in pots, acclimating them as much as possible to the typical winter conditions there over 2 to 3 years before planting them in the ground, and then plant them in the ground in say late April or early May there at the height I stated.  This certainly gives mine a big edge over planting younger/smaller ones here, and I am sure would help over there in such a marginal climate for them, since as stated above, planting full grown mature ones is not an option.

John

On 7/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, TheWaterbug said:

Maybe we could do a group buy and get 50 trees shipped from FL along with a crew and machinery to install them. 

I’m in for 1!

You would have to make the necessary official arrangements to bypass the Lethal Yellow quarantine of sprouted coconuts NOT leaving Florida.  For small ones that many of order online, the quarantine is essentially irrelevant and unenforcable, but for large mature ones, it would be easily enforced, as they would be quite obvious being transported on the back of a large flatbed trailer going through multiple states like mine that still ABSURDLY BAN COCONUT PALMS from Florida, even though the Lethal Yellowing epidemic of the 1970'S, '80's, and early '90's has basically run its course in Florida, and now Lethal Yellowing is such a sporadic problem there, the Florida Dept. of Ag is no longer seriously concerned with it, per first hand correspondence of an associate of mine here in Corpus Christi, Texas who has corresponded with Florida Dept. of Ag officials in a serious attempt to get the Texas Dept. of Ag TO DROP ITS BAN ON COCONUT PALMS!!!  I think Louisiana too still ABSURDLY has the ban in place too.  But anyway, these are some of the official hurdles that would have to be overcome if such a project were undertaken, unless of course a Billionaire wanted full grown mature Coconut Palms to be transported from Florida to California, then I am SURE FULL APPROVAL WOULD BE IMMEDIATELY GIVEN without question!!!

John

• Like 1