IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corona ca Coconut

JubaeaMan138

On 4/16/2018, 11:51:03, GottmitAlex said:

It's bewildering to see this coconut is not getting the same publicity and all the jazz the Newport coco had in its day.

The Newport coco struggled and suffered throughout its life. This Corona coco, in a Cali 9B usda hardiness zone (says it all) , look like it's thriving, under cali standards. 

THe Newport Coco was right next to one of the busiest streets in the world, while this one is tucked off in a residential 'hood.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

51 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I would say Phoenix canariensis is the archetype for California

Maybe Washies, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

THe Newport Coco was right next to one of the busiest streets in the world, while this one is tucked off in a residential 'hood.

Good point.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Good point.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

16 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Inland is key. Not too far, though. 

Apparently so. But that clip someone posted of Corona blanketed with snow bowled me over. I presume it has never snowed anywhere near Newport Beach. I think we've established that the coconut can handle a number of extremely low overnight temps, as long as it's compensated by good daytime highs. That La Quinta one proved that. I'm horrified that that bloke chopped it down.

• Upvote 3

Unfortunately I can't crop the Corona palm image on this machine. So I'll post the full image. After that, I'll post two images of a yet unnamed variety of the species Beccario growing in the Sydney Gardens. Only seven years old, the first image is of the complete plant growing under a canopy of other trees. The next one is a close-up of the base of the palm. The base and trunk of this Beccario look very similar to the same of the Corona specimen.

I believe the Beccarios are the closest relos [relatives] of the Cocos. This is all in the interests of establishing that the Corona palm is a genuine Cocos. Because if it is, it has to be the world-record holder for not just distance from the equator, but also altitude and distance from the sea.

CoronaPalm.jpg

Beccario.JPG

Beccario2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, James West said:

Unfortunately I can't crop the Corona palm image on this machine. So I'll post the full image. After that, I'll post two images of a yet unnamed variety of the species Beccario growing in the Sydney Gardens. Only seven years old, the first image is of the complete plant growing under a canopy of other trees. The next one is a close-up of the base of the palm. The base and trunk of this Beccario look very similar to the same of the Corona specimen.

I believe the Beccarios are the closest relos [relatives] of the Cocos. This is all in the interests of establishing that the Corona palm is a genuine Cocos. Because if it is, it has to be the world-record holder for not just distance from the equator, but also altitude and distance from the sea.

CoronaPalm.jpg

Beccario.JPG

Beccario2.JPG

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James West said:

CoronaPalm.jpg

Beccario.JPG

Beccario2.JPG

It's definitely a coconut! Those Beccariophoenix are B. fenestralis, by the way.

• Like 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

17 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Like playing for the Yankees versus Double A.

11 hours ago, Zeeth said:

It's definitely a coconut! Those Beccariophoenix are B. fenestralis, by the way.

It would seem so [re the Corona palm]. I just like to be sure of things. That Beccariophoenix could be a fenestralis, but the plaque describes it as unclassified. This would be uninteresting if it were not for the fact that there is a clearly labelled, but different looking, fenestralis growing about ten yards away from it. I'll make further enquiries.

Switching tracks for a moment, the best Beccario specimen in the Sydney Gardens is this 7 year old Madagascariensis:

Beccario.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Zeeth said:

Keith. By the small size of the base, no trunk, and the shape of the leaves (at that particular stage), it doesn't look like a Fenestralis. Either alfredii or mad...

Unless the picture is a bit deceiving, and that is a trunk with the leaf bases attached. ..

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Keith. By the small size of the base, no trunk, and the shape of the leaves (at that particular stage), it doesn't look like a Fenestralis. Either alfredii or mad...

Unless the picture is a bit deceiving, and that is a trunk with the leaf bases attached. ..

It's definitely B. fenestralis. Leaf shape isn't right for the other 2 species, nor is the leaf base fiber. You'd expect B. madagascariensis to be more shuttlecock at this stage, with a darker green petiole base with stiffer leaf base fiber. B. alfredii would have a more purple color to the petioles towards the base and the leaflets should droop parallel to the rachis rather than perpendicular. 

You might be thrown off by the perceived lack of windows at this stage, but they lose them before reaching trunking stage. The other Beccariophoenix posted is also B. fenestralis, not B. mad.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

It's definitely B. fenestralis. Leaf shape isn't right for the other 2 species, nor is the leaf base fiber. You'd expect B. madagascariensis to be more shuttlecock at this stage, with a darker green petiole base with stiffer leaf base fiber. B. alfredii would have a more purple color to the petioles towards the base and the leaflets should droop parallel to the rachis rather than perpendicular. 

You might be thrown off by the perceived lack of windows at this stage, but they lose them before reaching trunking stage. The other Beccariophoenix posted is also B. fenestralis, not B. mad.

So they're  more Fenestralis than Madagacariensis? Logical. However, I still think by the pucs, they are B. Mad.  Well, I guess we'll find out soon enough. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

Keith is correct; the juvenile Beccies are fenestralis as is the larger one labeled madagascariensis. Up until 5-6 years ago everyone referred to the "windows" type as madagascariensis. Turns out that the original description of B. Mad was actually the "no windows" version. So there's still a lot of tags out there that are not updated.. Returning to topic, Cocos in Corona, now that's cool.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Keith is correct; the juvenile Beccies are fenestralis as is the larger one labeled madagascariensis. Up until 5-6 years ago everyone referred to the "windows" type as madagascariensis. Turns out that the original description of B. Mad was actually the "no windows" version. So there's still a lot of tags out there that are not updated.. Returning to topic, Cocos in Corona, now that's cool.

That's interesting info, and it makes sense. "Madagascariensis" was probably an early generic term for any of the Beccarios. The Corona specimen is really a phenomenon. Below I'll post an early morning pic of the two Golden Malay Dwarfs in the Sydney Botanic Gardens I took yesterday. Coincidentally, they are at the same distance from the equator as the Corona number - 33 degrees 52 seconds.

Sydney Malay Golden.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/5/2018, 4:26:32, Zeeth said:

You're absolutely right Keith. The Alfie and mad are, as you say shuttlecocked. Very straight and pointed leaflets. 

Checking my fenestralis, I see the resemblance. Sort of a horizontal plane for a couple inches from the rachis, then the leaflets curve downwards. 

20180507_142334-2656x1494.jpg

20180507_142344-2656x1494.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know what you might say: "Alex, having an aforementioned palm, you can't tell the difference?"

Honestly,  I haven't invested much thought into it. Being a Fenestralis or an alfredii, to me, they're both Uber bulletproof (in my region). Unlike my 5 cocos, I don't have any special heat lamps on 'em. I can fill then with "cold" water all day, and they'll still keep growing.   Pinnate, but sloooow, versions of a Washingtonia robusta. Here again, in my region. Thought they were the same, except for the windows when young... thanks Keith. I learned my lesson.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I know what you might say: "Alex, having an aforementioned palm, you can't tell the difference?"

Honestly,  I haven't invested much thought into it. Being a Fenestralis or an alfredii, to me, they're both Uber bulletproof (in my region). Unlike my 5 cocos, I don't have any special heat lamps on 'em. I can fill then with "cold" water all day, and they'll still keep growing.   Pinnate, but sloooow, versions of a Washingtonia robusta. Here again, in my region. Thought they were the same, except for the windows when young... thanks Keith. I learned my lesson.

I want to thank all you guys for your interest and postings. Working this week, but I'll post some close-ups of the leaves of these palms and clear images of the plaques that the Garden minders have attached to them. There are several "unknown" species from Madagascar which are Cocos related. It will also be interesting to see if the Golden Malay Dwarves can handle our winter. . . if it ever gets here. . .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2016, 12:18:43, Josh-O said:

Dave you nailed it by pointing it is south facing surrounded by all that concrete.

I bet if there was no concrete to keep the ambient air temp warm after dark it would be a dead coconut.

Radiational heat seems to be the only way to keep a coconut alive in So cal.

Look what happened to the Newport coco when it grew away from the wall..:crying:

It was the palm tree next to it that starved it of water which eventually killed it not growing away from the wall

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, veeman55 said:

It was the palm tree next to it that starved it of water which eventually killed it not growing away from the wall

I beg to differ there. I have had Washingtonias alonside my cocos in a very narrow garden sliver. In fact, the largest Washie I had (I decapitated it late March) had 14ft. Of clear trunk (hence the reason for its decapitation, I could see the writing on the wall with that palm genus. It harbors pests if one lets it keep a skirt) But I digress, the point is, my most largest and fadtest growing coconut is the one by that Washie. (Now a 14ft stump).

So that theory, to me, goes out the window.  The Newport coco had its days numbered since it was planted. I imagine its life support was the pavement and the heat generated by motor vehicles passing by.

• Like 1

I went down and looked after the Newport coconut toward the end of its days. From what I could tell, it was receiving little to no irrigation. It may be a combination of things but I’d guess at that size that was the overriding factor. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

I went down and looked after the Newport coconut toward the end of its days. From what I could tell, it was receiving little to no irrigation. It may be a combination of things but I’d guess at that size that was the overriding factor. 

Alex so i was right in a way.

Matt it was hurting for water wasnt it. That palm next to it didnt help i bet. That dry weather washingtonia isnt a good neighbour to have so close to a water loving palm.

Edited by veeman55
Reword
  • Like 1

That's a great coconut and glad to see it doing well. As another 9b person trying to grow a coconut I understand the challenges. Hope it continues to do well. While it may be in a good microclimate now, unfortunately it will likely have issues when the fronds and meristem get above the roof line. The crown will not survive more than a few hours in the upper 20s. Then the question will be how fast can it recover in that climate before the next winter. But it looks nice now!

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2018, 6:02:57, pin38 said:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/567-Viewpointe-Cir_Corona_CA_92881_M22411-58332#photo33

Hope I'm not breaking any bylaws, here's the listing. "Great curb appeal with palm trees in the front". AKA possibly a world record for northernmost surviving coconut. Maybe someone buy it as an income property and water it? I'll throw in a Home Depot gift card...

Heck, the realtor.com listing doesn't even have "cocos nucifera" in the description. I'll bet that would add at least $15,000 to the price :D

Intereresting; I just pulled up this address on Google street view, and for some reason it's giving me imagery from 2011, when this tree was just a toddler. Maybe this will help someone estimate its age, rate of growth, remaining years to maturity, etc.

edit: ah, I see someone already did this on page 2. Anyway, I'm glad I know the address, now. I'm in that area a few times a year, so I'll definitely make a pilgrimage.

CoronaCoconutGSV2011.jpg

Edited by TheWaterbug
  • Like 1

On 06/05/2018, 10:56:01, GottmitAlex said:

So they're  more Fenestralis than Madagacariensis? Logical. However, I still think by the pucs, they are B. Mad.  Well, I guess we'll find out soon enough. 

Zeeth

I presume you're right. As fenestram is latin for window, I take it that the names comes from the strip that runs along the tips of the sprouting leaf. Here's a close-up:

Beccario.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A bit of fodder for the California cocos nucifera aficionados. Photo from today, no dry tips, even in a dry climate like that of Corona during the mighty Santa Ana wind season. 

20181113_223800.thumb.jpg.41d611d7bedc0e

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 14

On 11/13/2018, 10:37:35, Josue Diaz said:

A bit of fodder for the California cocos nucifera aficionados. Photo from today, no dry tips, even in a dry climate like that of Corona during the mighty Santa Ana wind season. 

20181113_223800.thumb.jpg.41d611d7bedc0e

Just wonderful!

Speaking about Santa Ana winds.

I did not want to take stage left this year without pointing out the Santa Ana winds did damage my cocos (5 of them). I am dumbfounded with the "unprotected" Corona Coco (Cali Zone 9b). However, my hat's off to it. Here's the current affair with mine:

Regarding his topic: I'll resume next year.

20181116_144101.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Just wonderful!

Speaking about Santa Ana winds.

I did not want to take stage left this year without pointing out the Santa Ana winds did damage my cocos (5 of them). I am dumbfounded with the "unprotected" Corona Coco (Cali Zone 9b). However, my hat's off to it. Here's the current affair with mine:

Regarding his topic: I'll resume next year.

20181116_144101.jpg

its the constant heat it gets from localized weather  plus all the radial heat from the house and surrounding concrete.  I hope yours will make it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

39 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

its the constant heat it gets from localized weather  plus all the radial heat from the house and surrounding concrete.  I hope yours will make it

I pray as well.

• Like 1

Hello, I'm new, :) I have that : https://en.climate-data.org/north-america/united-states-of-america/california/corona-1434/

The annual minimum mean temperature is in december with 40.6°F = 4,8°C , at 197 m elevation.  According to the climatologists (I like it), it is necessary to withdraw 0.6°C per 100 meters of elevation on average, but it can be ± 0,1 or 0,2 ° C.

Then I found the house on Solargis https://solargis.info/imaps/  which is based on a Google map. Solargis can provide complex weather data just in front of the door, but it's expensive, it may interest some rich enthusiast. There is basic data that is already very interesting:

Solar radiation(yearly average)
G horizontal:sign in(show MJ/m2)
Diffuse horizontal:sign in
Direct normal:sign in

Air temperature
Yearly : 17,1°C =  62.8 °F
January : 12,1°C =  53.7 °F
July : 23,0°C =  73.4 °F

Terrain
Altitude:362 m = Altitude:1188 ft
Slope inclination:1.9 ° = Slope inclination:2.1 %
Slope azimuth:43° (NE)
Landscape(GLC/CLC)
Type:Forêts de conifères à feuillage persistant
GLC:Tree cover, needle-leaved, evergreen

Values can change from one street to another, (or from one door mat to another ^_^ ), and you can also, by clicking with the mouse, search for the hottest places in your area, compare with your current garden. to measure your chances of success. For example at the airport, downstairs, it is slightly more, especially in summer.

From my house in France I have January: 39.8 F = 4.4 °C :badday:  so I see you as if you had perfectly no winter. 12,5°C = 54.5°F is the annual average temperature, or 3rd week of april, or a third week of october. You're lucky you must be very nice.  :)

To come back to the house in south Corona, it seems to me to distinguish (very badly with the pixelation) that the palm tree is narrow seen from the sky, but the photo date I suppose the beginning of this year (to month that they are deciduous of summer like erythrines?) based on the Google Street View dating (map 2018+ deciduous trees are bare), it may have had palms lined up against the cold, it might be that someone is taking care of it. But here I extrapolate wrongly, because the definition is very bad. :hmm: ;)

The house and the coco faces South - Southeast and there are persistent plants that would protect the cold wind on the north side behind, I believe they are the same pines as those planted in groups at the end of the dead-end street (in french we said familiarly a buttock of bag) next to the roundabout (Google Street View).

I thought I could distinguish another (small) in front of the house opposite too.

coco nucifera Corona California house ft °F.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Angélique said:

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 20/11/2018 à, kinzyjr said:

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you Kinzyjr :), merci. I knew the site for a few years, but I did not have the need until now. I am happy to add my stone on the bio-climatic aspects, it is my hobby :interesting: :rolleyes:.

Sorry for the off topic, I will be tiny. I will test my young dwarf gold in open ground half-sandy soil during the 4 to 6 months where it is possible at home in the sunny natural green -> yellow -> green grass, but watered every day in a bowl of  clay loam soil (plant in the spring when the minimum reaches 60°F = +15°C ( under my insidious unstable spring, which can give frosts also as long as it is not 76°F = 24 ° C), un-plant in the fall / autumn when it goes back under 50°F = +10°C (enough played at Miami paradises, have to be reasonable, shortly gray and wet)), as it does in a botanical garden (tropical plants are on vacation...), I think this will help it to start on a broad trunk. Otherwise, I am afraid that the leaves remain in a reduced model like this one, I do not wish to make a 1500 € $ & 10 foot bonsai as in this picture (link : https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/242768/files/164164214/palmen-cocos-nucifera-kokospalm-kopen.jpg, from nursery page https://www.teeningapalmen.nl/nl/cocos-nucifera-kokospalm.html ).

Update at the nucifera's House :winkie: :

Just something that I notice only now, about the enlargement of the house that I posted, I see that there are white indications "2014 Google" all over white on the aerial photo (see under the van parked in front and the gray house in the top left), although though the Solargis page says "Map data ©2018 Google Imagery ©2018". This is why it is necessary no to account for these items in determining the true date on which the shot was taken.

5bf6402bdc653_2018cartographiegvfds.png.

As a result, I think the coconut tree was younger, which is why I find it so hard to discern it in its long green spot. A young man with the fins held by a rope in winter as long as he was at the height of a human.

At the house opposite too (the same 2011 picture series), I think I opened a false track, there may not have been an emulation effect on the plantation of a second coconut, Several clues are in the direction of beccariopheonix, but I do not know enough, I barely know these palms for a few weeks (thanks to a site that would be called...Palmtalk) : grown in partial shade, leaf quite flat from a distance, very rounded at the end and especially of good width (seems more than a coconut tree) : beccariophoenix fenestralis ?

gtrdftrgfb.png

hytdhyth.png

• Like 1

(Damn, impossible edition of my previous message, so I throw another)

Need to compare Corona january mean temperatures with other California coco :

It should be compared with the locations of the other coconut palms to see if the average temperature of the coldest month is of the same order with the locations of the other Californian coconut trees mentioned on the site (I was only aware of those of New Port, he is dead but the location still exists, and that of the Coachella Valley in a small garden between a pool and a wall adjoining. Is there a small or small gap? For me it would be to know if the differences are <1 ° C, between 1 and 2, or more (which I do not suppose, so much the culture of this plant is marginal, out of the tropics under 70°F = 21°C at least, it seems to me.

annual semi-arid hot climate, Corona is almost there :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-arid_climate : On the old Koppen cartographies, Corona is almost at the edge of the cold and hot semi-arid (yellow side of the yellow / orange border). Some of these lines are in the dry zone, like Morocco to Syria, for others I'm not sure. maybe in a generation Corona will be classified as semi-arid hot. Quote : One of these places is San Diego, California (at its main airport), which has cool summers for latitude due to prevailing ocean winds (so the average annual temperature is below 18 ° C) but mild winters (average temperature in January of 14 ° C and closer to the 18.0 ° C Isotherme separating tropical and subtropical climates compared to the isotherm of 0 ° C or -3 ° C for the coldest month separating temperate and continental climates).

The winter heat of Corona is west Mexican, :

According to maps on my atlas, the winter heat you have comes not from the ocean to the southwest (Los Angeles), nor from Phoenix and the Gila Desert, but between the two of the Gulf of California. It is the deformation of a temperature "contour line" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contour_line ). The mild climat of January arrives meandering / winding (with wind of course !), in french we say "serpenter" (because snake = serpent) => i.e. "snake"-ing"), between the mountains via Mexicali, Palm Springs, White Water, Cabazon, Banning, Beaumont (maximum altitude of the mountain pass around 2000 to 2300 ft (600 to 700 m)down the slope to Alessandro Island, Woodcrest, then ground on Woocrest, Corona. In the preceding pages, I seem to have read Mexicali several times, that is the source of the winter heat. So sweet your january spring...

+ Other thermal influences (summer, [summer - "winter"] gap) :

Further details, the annual thermal amplitude (between the coldest and warmest month, mean over thirty years) will grow in the direction of Denver (it ranges from 10 ° C off Los Angeles or within in northern California, or in Miami, it is 15 ° C in the interior of southern California and an all - land line from northern Mexico to northern Florida, in Denver the amplitude is 30 ° C. C between January and July I do not know how to express a temperature variation in Fahrenheit, but only in degrees.

Finally, the heat of July in the world can always rise according to my chart of atlas to 32 ° C if reduced to the level of the sea, it is the case of three zones: 1 / of the sector Arizona and surrounding area, 2 / the Algeria to Yemen, 3 / the Saudi to Pakistan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angélique said:

Thank you Kinzyjr :), merci. I knew the site for a few years, but I did not have the need until now. I am happy to add my stone on the bio-climatic aspects, it is my hobby :interesting: :rolleyes:.

Sorry for the off topic, I will be tiny. I will test my young dwarf gold in open ground half-sandy soil during the 4 to 6 months where it is possible at home in the sunny natural green -> yellow -> green grass, but watered every day in a bowl of  clay loam soil (plant in the spring when the minimum reaches 60°F = +15°C ( under my insidious unstable spring, which can give frosts also as long as it is not 76°F = 24 ° C), un-plant in the fall / autumn when it goes back under 50°F = +10°C (enough played at Miami paradises, have to be reasonable, shortly gray and wet)), as it does in a botanical garden (tropical plants are on vacation...), I think this will help it to start on a broad trunk. Otherwise, I am afraid that the leaves remain in a reduced model like this one, I do not wish to make a 1500 € $ & 10 foot bonsai as in this picture (link : https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/242768/files/164164214/palmen-cocos-nucifera-kokospalm-kopen.jpg, from nursery page https://www.teeningapalmen.nl/nl/cocos-nucifera-kokospalm.html ).

Update at the nucifera's House :winkie: :

Just something that I notice only now, about the enlargement of the house that I posted, I see that there are white indications "2014 Google" all over white on the aerial photo (see under the van parked in front and the gray house in the top left), although though the Solargis page says "Map data ©2018 Google Imagery ©2018". This is why it is necessary no to account for these items in determining the true date on which the shot was taken.

5bf6402bdc653_2018cartographiegvfds.png.

As a result, I think the coconut tree was younger, which is why I find it so hard to discern it in its long green spot. A young man with the fins held by a rope in winter as long as he was at the height of a human.

At the house opposite too (the same 2011 picture series), I think I opened a false track, there may not have been an emulation effect on the plantation of a second coconut, Several clues are in the direction of beccariopheonix, but I do not know enough, I barely know these palms for a few weeks (thanks to a site that would be called...Palmtalk) : grown in partial shade, leaf quite flat from a distance, very rounded at the end and especially of good width (seems more than a coconut tree) : beccariophoenix fenestralis ?

gtrdftrgfb.png

hytdhyth.png

Not sure from this photo but this one looks like a Ravenea rivularis.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m going to be in the neighborhood we’re the corona coconut is I will take some pictures this weekend to update . I can see the area from were I live it is about 10 miles from me. I can see snow blanketing the hills that this neighborhood backs up to . This happened once before few years back and this tree survived . 

• Like 3

On 5/4/2018 at 4:07 PM, James West said:

Apparently so. But that clip someone posted of Corona blanketed with snow bowled me over. I presume it has never snowed anywhere near Newport Beach.

Snow is pretty rare in Newport, but it has happened.  I was visiting my uncle in Long Beach sometime around 1980-83 and it snowed for about an hour.  It was light flurries and nothing that was ever recorded, but people were standing out on the sidewalk looking up and wondering if Mt. St Helens had erupted again!  :D 

• Like 2

Funny you're mentioning Snow.. Just saw a couple tweets from both the Los Angeles and San Diego NWS offices. Snow /  brief flurries are being reported around Highland ( 1700ft- ish elevation) and at 1500' in the Santa Monica Mtns above Malibu. Have heard it is possible snow levels may come down a bit more before precip shuts down /exits to the east out there.. 

There's been talk locally that the snow level may crash to around the same elevation.. possibly even lower at times in a few areas here, depending on what if any cold / convective showers linger later tonight or tomorrow.  Can't even fathom awakening tomorrow to a brief dusting / flurries. Then again, flurries and / or a real hail storm are the only two things i haven't seen here.. yet.:bemused:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Funny you're mentioning Snow.. Just saw a couple tweets from both the Los Angeles and San Diego NWS offices. Snow /  brief flurries are being reported around Highland ( 1700ft- ish elevation) and at 1500' in the Santa Monica Mtns above Malibu. Have heard it is possible snow levels may come down a bit more before precip shuts down /exits to the east out there.. 

There's been talk locally that the snow level may crash to around the same elevation.. possibly even lower at times in a few areas here, depending on what if any cold / convective showers linger later tonight or tomorrow.  Can't even fathom awakening tomorrow to a brief dusting / flurries. Then again, flurries and / or a real hail storm are the only two things i haven't seen here.. yet.:bemused:

Silas you can’t even get this in my head man! There were flurries about 20 minutes north of me this morning. That’s too close to home. A elevation change of about 1000ft and 10f kept me safe. 

This corona coco I’m very interested in. It’s absolutely amazing to think of all that’s stacked against it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

Silas you can’t even get this in my head man! There were flurries about 20 minutes north of me this morning. That’s too close to home. A elevation change of about 1000ft and 10f kept me safe. 

This corona coco I’m very interested in. It’s absolutely amazing to think of all that’s stacked against it. 

Oh trust me, lol.. snow is the last thing i'd want to see around here. Someone in Fountain Hills that runs / posts on the Agave Forum posted pictures of snow dusted Agave in his yard a couple days ago. There's even a variegated Agave attenuata in one of his pictures..  Just saw a picture posted from Rancho Cucamonga at roughly 1400ft. Rooftops / lawns white covered in snow or snow pellets.. I'll pass. 

Agree, very intrigued  by this Coconut. Wish someone would collect a sample of the foliage and have it's DNA sequenced.. Might provide more insight into why it seems to defy some long odds.. No doubt, things get real' interesting if /when it flowers or produces a viable fruit.

• Like 1