IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corona ca Coconut

JubaeaMan138

Ok I didn't get a good look but I drove by this tree this morning almost certain it is a cocoa. DoomsDave confirmed it as well through text. Here is a picture of it . It is located in south corona California I don't know how it survives but it is also very healthy.

IMG_2042.JPG

• Upvote 15

I really never seen the hype in these cocoa nucifera now that I see it in person it has changed my thinking I have to have one

• Upvote 4

I would guess 10 years . Funny thing is this area sees high 20s temp a few days a year.it is planted against a south facing wall.everything on it is super green I'm going to guess it was bought as a seedling from homedepot down the street years ago makes me wonder how many mature trees are out there that the home owner has no clue how special it is 

• Upvote 3

Spectacular.:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Yeah, looks like a cocos, all right.

Anyone disagree?

Wade on in! Have a little post-T-Day debate . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hmm.

I suspect there's a perfect storm of good luck . . .

Concrete all around, south facing, I'll be bet plenty of water. And a few years of good luck.

• Upvote 4

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Center of Corona, CA (intersection of 6th and Main) is just south of 34 N latitude.

• Upvote 3

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Nice find! And it looks great too! I wonder what the home owners have to say about it.

Doesn't this make every palm nut in So CA want to try one now???:yay:

The owners must have unlocked the secret themselves eh...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

Concrete all around, south facing, I'll be bet plenty of water. And a few years of good luck.

^^This^^

• Upvote 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I will say this there is only one other Palm in the hole yard and it's a queen these homes were built in early 2000 I imagine both palms were bought from the Home Depot down the street as small 5 gallon plants. im going to have to knock on the door and talk to the home owner 

• Upvote 3

100 miles from the Salton Sea/Coachella valley Cocos. And a tad bit north as well.

There goes the "needed humidity from the lake" theory out the window..

I'm getting goosebumps...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I will say this there is only one other Palm in the hole yard and it's a queen these homes were built in early 2000 I imagine both palms were bought from the Home Depot down the street as small 5 gallon plants. im going to have to knock on the door and talk to the home owner 

Please do!!

• Upvote 1

Also this neighborhood is at the edge of the Cleveland national forest right at the foothill the street is called foot hill I bet the hills help protect it from Santa Ana's the fronds look blhealthier than most palms insee in the city

• Upvote 3

I suppose this is a dwarf variety?

All things being equal, how high would a Tall variety have grown?

BTW, we're expecting upper 40's rain on Sunday. Looking at Corona's weather outlook, they're going see rain in the upper 30's on Sunday.

But as JubaeaMan138 mentioned, Corona does get into the upper 20's a few times every year. I really don't think this coming storm will phase the cocos nucifera there..

Edited by GottmitAlex

Can someone tell me that type of palms these are?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8498449,-117.5437838,3a,56.9y,344.67h,69.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ske8ZUSoGLLOkC5v7vdMipg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Same place, in Corona, Ca. I just started to street view south-facing homes (closest to the southern-most Home Depot).. And voila! 

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

Dave you nailed it by pointing it is south facing surrounded by all that concrete.

I bet if there was no concrete to keep the ambient air temp warm after dark it would be a dead coconut.

Radiational heat seems to be the only way to keep a coconut alive in So cal.

Look what happened to the Newport coco when it grew away from the wall..:crying:

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

All that concrete is a big deal imho.

• Upvote 2

Wow a coconut out in Corona? Great find! And looking good too. Wow

I want to see one closer in, like around Anaheim. Time for growers to start getting some good 25g sizes growing. Haha

12 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Wow a coconut out in Corona? Great find! And looking good too. Wow

I want to see one closer in, like around Anaheim. Time for growers to start getting some good 25g sizes growing. Haha

How's yours doing Enigma99?

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

How's yours doing Enigma99?

So far so good, I will know more by summertime how it fared.

Very nice. Hopefully this thread doesn't end with the palm being beheaded like the last CA coconut discovery! I'm going to pay my respects before something bad happens to this palm. What a great find!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Can someone tell me that type of palms these are?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8498449,-117.5437838,3a,56.9y,344.67h,69.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ske8ZUSoGLLOkC5v7vdMipg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Same place, in Corona, Ca. I just started to street view south-facing homes (closest to the southern-most Home Depot).. And voila! 

Next door to the right, there's a dead palm next to the driveway near the house.

Hummm.

I didn't see any deadmpalms in this neighborhood at all. I really don't see these owners doing anything special to this Palm. this is down the street from my grandfathers new home that is how I drive by it I got lost in the neighborhood going to his new home. I've lived in the neighborhood for 20 years and drove by it everyday just about it never noticed it. I actually drove by it looked and kept driving and then realized wait a minute was that what I think it was . I put it in reverse and snapped a picture from my truck. Imagine if I knocked on the door and asked about it they would think I was crazy. I wonder how old it is. Like I said I'm putting it anywhere from 10 to 15 years if they planted it from a homedepot special when the house was first built. Wonder when this tree might flower any guesses on age and flower time.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I didn't see any deadmpalms in this neighborhood at all. I really don't see these owners doing anything special to this Palm. this is down the street from my grandfathers new home that is how I drive by it I got lost in the neighborhood going to his new home. I've lived in the neighborhood for 20 years and drove by it everyday just about it never noticed it. I actually drove by it looked and kept driving and then realized wait a minute was that what I think it was . I put it in reverse and snapped a picture from my truck. Imagine if I knocked on the door and asked about it they would think I was crazy. I wonder how old it is. Like I said I'm putting it anywhere from 10 to 15 years if they planted it from a homedepot special when the house was first built. Wonder when this tree might flower any guesses on age and flower time.

I dunno.

Something tells me those homeowners know a bit more than what we deduce to be their knowledge regarding that Cocos nucifera.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 2

If this cocos pans out

and there's no reason to believe it won't

Might be a Cocos FetishistTM Pilgrimage Point.TM

Like that Cocos in Palm Desert and the one nearby that nearly resulted in a lynching when it got cut down.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

Lol:floor:

:)IMG_20150618_1843.thumb.jpg.c751ec34056f

:(:o:rage::badday::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2