IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Leu Gardens Orlando Thanksgiving

Cocoa Beach Jason

So my son and I decided to take a stroll through Leu Gardens today for a couple hours while in Orlando. I am not a photographer and I merely snapped some photographs with my cell phone. My 4 year old son Liam for scale. I'll just get right to it:

Cyphosperma balansae

IMG_5763.thumb.JPG.398b75958f028f20c70e8IMG_5760.thumb.JPG.56e0558a5e0cb14985daf

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason
  • Upvote 4

On 11/24/2016, 8:57:16, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

What Chamaedorea is this? Red seed.

microspadix is my guess

thank you for this garden tour!

Great grom* for providing scale.  The garden's looking great.  Six years of warm winters and presumably lots of tender loving maintenance.  

*this is an international forum, so grom = grommet = young surfer.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 month later...

Great photos, I can't believe all of those are growing so well in 9b Orlando, perhaps they are more cold tolerant than I think or Leu gardens is in a solid 10a area?

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Thanks so much for sharing these with us!  Thoroughly enjoyed it!  Your son is precious.

What is the graceful, pinnate palm in the post below the Dypsis lastelliana?

Edited by annafl

On 11/24/2016, 11:40:26, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

IMG_1488.thumb.JPG.b1f5fdc6576dd1b06394cIMG_1489.thumb.JPG.85ee25206ca629c060792

4 hours ago, annafl said:

Thanks so much for sharing these with us!  Thoroughly enjoyed it!  Your son is precious.

What is the graceful, pinnate palm in the post below the Dypsis lastelliana?

Dypsis onilahensis 

• Upvote 1

Leu gardens is a fantastic place to visit when in the Orlando area.  I couldn't even begin to guess the number of different palm species & hybrids that they have but they do have something for just about everyone. 

When I think of Microclimates Leu pops into my head as they are right in the UHI of Orlando, just south of a few bodies of water and covered with 500+ year old live oak canopy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Leu Gardens is in a good microclimate on the southeast side of Lake Rowena. The UHI has really increased since the record freezes of the 1980's so it has helped moderate freezes. But prior to the 3 big '80s freezes the metro Orlando/Winter Park area was already a borderline 10a climate with mature zone 10 palms and plants. At Leu Gardens there used to me a mature Roystonea regia along the lakefront but the 12/83 freeze killed it. And there were 2 groves of mature Archontophoenix cunninghamiana in 2 separate locations. Each one had a couple dozen mature, seeding palms. The 12/83 freeze severely damaged or killed the palms and the 1/85 wiped out any survivors. Dozens of seedlings sprouted afterwards and were growing nicely until the whopper in 12/89 killed them. The 12/89 freeze had 2 nights at 19-20F. Since then the absolute lowest it has been is 26F which happened in 2/96. The 2009-10 winter was a colder one but the lowest temperature only dropped to 28F.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 5 weeks later...