IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Working With Palms - As a Lifestyle

knell

Hello friends! Happy holidays.

I know it is almost insulting to this audience to ask how to make a living while growing palms, as it would be all of our dreams come true.

However, I am interested in any job that involves palms and am not looking to get rich - I keep my lifestyle and possessions as minimal as possible. As long as I can eat, work hard and look at palms, im happy.

I am single, with no attachment to my current situation or lifestyle, however I have a stable occupation now and am in no hurry. I also have a decent amount of savings to float on, so I am not desperate or anxious.

What are my options? Ive only been growing palms for a couple of years, but I have a background in horticulture and landscaping, and do not mind relocating anywhere in the world.

thank you for your time

• Upvote 3

I am south of the US border. 10 ft. tall foxtails, royals and many other types sell for about 50 to 60 dollars. It would probably be difficult to make much money here though the lifestyle would be rewarding. And that is what is important IMO

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, tacobender said:

I am south of the US border. 10 ft. tall foxtails, royals and many other types sell for about 50 to 60 dollars. It would probably be difficult to make much money here though the lifestyle would be rewarding. And that is what is important IMO

I agree! I honestly would rather do what I love and die at an average age than collect money points that may or may not extend the twilight hours of my existence...

Whew, it has been a whirlwind of a week! I have researched more about Hawaii than I ever thought possible - Ive put out my feelers into the nursery job market there, and although the work is exactly what Im after, it seems that if youre on the mainland it is rare for someone to want to take a chance on you. I completely understand.

So, accepting a job from someone who will take a chance on someone new to the island (big island most likely) seems to be the way forward, regardless of its relevance to palms. No matter what kind of savings I have at the time, not having a job on arrival is counterintuitive for me.

Once settled, I know I can convince someone to let me tend their nursery if I could talk to them face to face, and be nearby for an interview.

I will use this thread to update the journey (sparingly)- i promise not to censor the highs or the lows. Thank you to everyone who has responded and given advice via PM so far.

• Upvote 2

I have some nursery experience working in a palm nursery in Australia and unless you own the nursery, you pretty much earn very little, for a lot of hard work. If you own a nursery and you want that to be your main source of income then be prepared to work 7 days a week, 12 hrs a day. At the end of the day it's just a form of farming and just like farming you are at the mercy of the weather, the market place, and your own physical health. Still that may suit you, and they do say that if you work at what you love, you won't work a day in your life ever again. However some people have made their hobby a job and it gets so serious with all the trouble of running a small business that they lose heart for what they once loved. Also if you absolutely are in it for the money you will be restricted to what most other nurseries are already selling. Growing rare palms is more about passion than profit. But if you can afford to remain passionate (by keeping overheads low etc) then who cares, grow rare palms for the collector market. Or you could do a bit of a nursery and do a bit of landscaping as well. That keeps everything interesting and allows you to venture in two directions at once. That's what I was sort of doing when I was landscaping, but my nursery area was way too small. Now I work in another industry, and have a heap of land to create a nursery if I want too. It's funny how life goes sometimes.

All the best following your dream. :)

• Upvote 6

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Have you thought of going to the best area in the mainland for weather and palms,

which I believe to be SoCal apparently if Hawaii does not work out.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/50785-what-part-of-the-usa-has-the-best-weather/#comment-774532

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

@Tyrone wise words and valuable experience, i cannot begin to thank you enough as i read it over and over. you have hit on the crux of the issue: the choice between ending my dollar chase and trying to develop some sort of sustainable (palmy) homestead with income only to buy necessities to fill the gaps, or diving head first into saving money and stockpiling at my current job/area for 20-30 years? it is a tough call and i could argue both sides.

@gtsteve very good point! i have lived in SoCal and the weather is lovely. there is lots to do socially and quite a bit of opportunity. i wouldn't mind going back but as minimal as possible, the last time was a little intense. thank you for the backup plan! that is something i had overlooked.

Would it be possible for you to get a college degree in biology or botany?  If so you would have a chance to become a palm curator at any large botanical garden, and I gather that more than a few PT people are exactly that.  

@topwater thank you for the reply! I had considered that (even enrolled in Oregon State University's free online course to start getting warmed up), however I am soooo close to paying off my student loans from my first degree (which I do not use in my current job). Every cell in my body is screaming to not go back to school, but it may be the only way people will take me seriously. I will spend the rest of my life learning, either way!

If it is what you want to do I say go for it....... I am currently in transition.  I have done a lot in my life such as being a Navy Aircraft Engineer, State Police Officer and am currently a heavy haul (coal) Train Driver. I have a Trade as an Aircraft Engineer, studied a Diploma in Public Safety and a Bachelor Degree in Horticulture.............. My life has gone in various direction but through it all Plants have been my number one.......... I am currently establishing a Horticulture business, I am growing Heliconias and Gingers and follage for the tropical cut flower trade and am setting up a nursery to supply palms and other tropicals to landscapers and collectors.

• Upvote 8

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

1 hour ago, Tropicgardener said:

If it is what you want to do I say go for it....... I am currently in transition.  I have done a lot in my life such as being a Navy Aircraft Engineer, State Police Officer and am currently a heavy haul (coal) Train Driver. I have a Trade as an Aircraft Engineer, studied a Diploma in Public Safety and a Bachelor Degree in Horticulture.............. My life has gone in various direction but through it all Plants have been my number one.......... I am currently establishing a Horticulture business, I am growing Heliconias and Gingers and follage for the tropical cut flower trade and am setting up a nursery to supply palms and other tropicals to landscapers and collectors.

You'll never be disappointed following your dreams....it's nice to know that you're doing it in a step-wise, methodical way. Best of my luck my friend. 

@Tropicgardener that is quite a dynamic career path! Thank you for the inspiration and the confidence to keep pursuing your he dream, even if the path is not a straight line. I wish you well and look forward to updates on the progress of your new endeavor!

Be careful.

Love can get very expensive, including love of palms.

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

19 minutes ago, knell said:

@DoomsDave indeed you are correct! That is why my main goal is to escape the lure of the dollar and keep my needs and expectations humble.

Good.

But sometimes humble is too humble.

Palms are a tough biz. Very very tough.

Expensive love.

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

20 hours ago, topwater said:

Would it be possible for you to get a college degree in biology or botany?  If so you would have a chance to become a palm curator at any large botanical garden, and I gather that more than a few PT people are exactly that.  

Follow your dreams.    I know I'll never be rich or anything like that. I'm fine with it.   What I'm not fine with anymore is toilong away doing something just for the money.  

Im 45 years old now.   I didn't go to school because I did not need to.  I started work at 15 and never looked back.  I ended up in some vey high paying jobs, one of which I actually did love.  My resume alone  is worth more than any 4 year degree now.  Contrary to what some might think, you don't have to have any paper from an Institution to be highly educated, which I consider myself to be .   I'm definitely not an average person that doesn't have a college level education.  I've done a ton, have loads of professional experience now in multiple industries from TV production to running a small business, to working in the nursery and floral trades, to working for the US DOE.  I also continued my own education by always wanting to learn so I never stopped teaching myself through reading and studying.  One can never have too much knowledge.   

Im now at a crossroads in my life and in a position to do what I want in terms of deciding what comes next. A very lucky place to be in for sure at my age.  My decision has been simple.   I'm going back to school and getting my 4 year degree most likely in Horticulture.  Botany and biology are also on the table.  While I want to focus on palms and tropicals in my next life, I don't want to restrict myself from just that.  

Career options rage from the nursery / farming  industry, to public gardens and botanical gardens, to working for governments in natural resources or parks and rec, even state highway administrations.  There's tons one can do.  

So I begin that journey in 2017.  I'll be getting my 2 gen ed years out of the way first, then onto the major and possibly a minor in photography since I know it well and I'm great at it already.  It comes natural for me.   The only other thing I'm adding is learning Spanish.   That is an invaluable tool for the industry as there are a large number of Spanish speakers in it.   

Keep us up to date!   Perhaps those of us going down this path can use this thread for the same over time.   Best of luck! Send me some luck too because I'm gonna need it.   :-)

KJ

• Upvote 3

If income isn't important, why not apply for a position as a grounds keeper or plant maintenance crew at some big hotel in Hawaii. It's hard work, but you'd be working with plants in paradise. 

• Upvote 1

If you are interested in considering the many pluses of living in the mountains of Puerto Rico, pm me. Easy to grow palms here!

All the best to you!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

4 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Im now at a crossroads in my life and in a position to do what I want in terms of deciding what comes next. A very lucky place to be in for sure at my age.  My decision has been simple.   I'm going back to school and getting my 4 year degree most likely in Horticulture.  Botany and biology are also on the table.  While I want to focus on palms and tropicals in my next life, I don't want to restrict myself from just that.  

That is so cool.  There is no degree in palmatiering, you have to know botany and horticulture in its entirety before you can specialize in Arecaceae.

And this.

Manual labor in the tropical sun is fun when you're 25.  Different story when you hit the sixties and still have to do it and your life depends on it. 

On 12/1/2016, 6:48:00, Tyrone said:

I have some nursery experience working in a palm nursery in Australia and unless you own the nursery, you pretty much earn very little, for a lot of hard work. If you own a nursery and you want that to be your main source of income then be prepared to work 7 days a week, 12 hrs a day. At the end of the day it's just a form of farming and just like farming you are at the mercy of the weather, the market place, and your own physical health. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎48‎:‎00‎, Tyrone said:

At the end of the day it's just a form of farming and just like farming you are at the mercy of the weather, the market place, and your own physical health.

I can attest that Tyrone speaks the truth.

• Upvote 1

My honest advice would be to go in another direction. I love palms, but I wouldn't consider making a career out of it... Hope that doesn't offend anyone. :unsure:

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

This community has filled me with gratitude, for all the advice offered from so many perspectives. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Interacting with you all on such a personal level has been great. The honesty, opportunity, and experience from a global community is rare in these days where it is "cool" to be rude on the internet.

This future is happening for me, the path for me has been a strange one already to this point, each moment of value. I only dreamed that i would be an American citizen when i was a child, so it feels like stranger things have already happened, and i look forward to the future.

@DCA_Palm_Fan please keep us updated on your journey as well, especially interesting things you learn in pursuit of your degree :]

@ChrisJordanDDS that is a consideration! but it would only be to get my foot in the door to move on to more of a necessity driven homstead.  WWOOFing is an option as well, i loved my time working on farms with that program and could do more palm oriented networking now that i at least have a basic background knowledge specific to Arecaceae.

• Upvote 1

OH MY GOD!! I have been doing it wrong all these years I didn't know I was suppose to be making money at this:o Lots of good advice here beat of luck to you.:greenthumb:

• Upvote 2

If I can add anything at all, I've found that life is more about the journey than the destination. Have fun working with palms, it may be what you want to do forever, but if not, do something else. What ever you do, enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 3 months later...

Well friends, much has happened in the past few months, but to sum it up:

- Amicably departed from my tech job in the Bay Area.

- Booked one way ticket to Hawaii.

I have been on the Big Island for five days now and it has been very fulfilling, it is a very pleasant change from the Bay Area and of course, there are enough palms here to keep me busy for a while.

I am staying in an Eco Hostel on the Puna side, and have a few things lined up that may open many doors for me to be working with palms full time.

It is happening and it is everything I had dreamed of! My heart is leading the way and I have been very blessed so far.

I have so much gratitude for everyone that offered advice, support and well wishes.

I will keep everyone updated on the journey! If you are in the area please let me know and I will come visit or we can meet somewhere for lunchc or an adventure.

• Upvote 17

43 minutes ago, knell said:

I have been on the Big Island for five days now and it has been very fulfilling, it is a very pleasant change from the Bay Area and of course, there are enough palms here to keep me busy for a while.

I am staying in an Eco Hostel on the Puna side, and have a few things lined up that may open many doors for me to be working with palms full time.

It is happening and it is everything I had dreamed of! My heart is leading the way and I have been very blessed so far.

I have so much gratitude for everyone that offered advice, support and well wishes.

I will keep everyone updated on the journey! If you are in the area please let me know and I will come visit or we can meet somewhere for lunchc or an adventure.

Congrats on the move! I look forward to getting updates on your big journey. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

49 minutes ago, knell said:

Godspeed Knell!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, knell said:

Congratulations!  That is admirable!   Wish you nothing but the best and success.  Please let us know how things go for you.  I appreciate your sharing with us.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, knell said:

Congrats! Very inspiring thread. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

• Upvote 1

If you know me, you know I dont like doing anything halfway! 

I am just wrapping up my first week helping some awesome people you may be familiar with: Jeff and Suchin Marcus

My first week at Floribunda has been intense and hard work, but every moment is filled with beautiful and rare palms! Lots and lots of huge leaves to haul away, watering (please rain soon please rain soon), pollination, and pruning. This is everything I wanted and more, now I am just trying to get longer term living arrangements locked down / buy a car instead of renting.

It takes A LOT of effort to run a world class palm nursery, and working for Jeff is very rewarding! He is still assessing my long term viability but I am ready to do whatever it takes.

Here is a Physokentia thurstonii to celebrate:

IMG_5549.thumb.PNG.81252cedba452c20e206e

• Upvote 12

Good for you for taking the risk and making it happen!  No matter how things turn out, you will know that you gave it your best shot, and won't be wondering 20 years from now, "What if I had only tried..."

:greenthumb: :greenthumb:  :greenthumb: 

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Today was my birthday and i got to trim giant Marojejyas with Jeff himself... best birthday present ever!

I wouldnt be here if it werent for you @Kim! Thanks again.

• Upvote 4

Knell,.....You are learning from someone who has spent his life devoted to their.... love in life. Many of us would love to do what you are doing, maybe if only for a day. 

His palms are his children, He an Suchin have spent many years raising them. I was lucky enough to go and see his nursery and spend a few hours looking

at the rarest of the rare. The full colors of the spectrum of the palm world. He is the Noah of the Ark. I hope his nursery becomes a treasure for the future. The best

collection of palms on the planet. Thank you Jeff and Suchin. The palm DNA of the planet are in your guiding hands. . 

aloha

Colin 

• Upvote 4

@colin Peters you are absolutely correct, it is an honor to work for someone so dedicated to palms, and I am not hesitant at all to explain to people around me that I am working my "dream job".

I learn so much every day, and I am excited to go to work. Everything that people told me was true and accurate, and I am stunned on a daily basis by the beauty and complexity of the garden.

Even if it ended tomorrow, I would still consider myself the luckiest palm nerd on the planet to have had this opportunity. Thank you so much Jeff, Suchin, Bill, Kinnaly, Nam Tam and Lucky! 

• Upvote 1