IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biggest Syagarus Abrejos

cassowaryhill

As the title says :) who's got the biggest since these bad boys were getting handed out? I'm curious to see if they have remained true to Mother Queen 

Edited by cassowaryhill

will post a pic of mine this weekend. Its  around 5 m tall now

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I think that MattyB planted a row of them & posted a picture when they were a few years old. Only one of the 6 or so plants was showing any "out of the ordinary" traits that you'd expect to see in a queen palm; and even that one individual was nothing that would turn your head. I can't remember anyone saying they were growing one that stayed true to the mother plant's form, at least outside of normal variability for the species.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Ok here is my Syagrus " abreojos " i received the seeds for this palm in July 2008 from Pogo Bob Robert De Jong in San clemente California. It has grown very fast in the ground and has quite a bit of clear trunk now.  The fronds look a bit more plumose than regular queens.

IMG_8187.JPG

IMG_8188.JPG

IMG_8189.JPG

IMG_8190.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Mine is not picture worthy, it unfortunately turned into a plain old S. rommy.

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 1 month later...

@MattyB I remember seeing a picture of a row of abreojos you planted. Those still growing strong for you? I'm curious as to what do they look like now?

9 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

@MattyB I remember seeing a picture of a row of abreojos you planted. Those still growing strong for you? I'm curious as to what do they look like now?

Plain Jane Queens is my guess!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 1 year later...

Still too early to tell, but mine are fully pinnate now.

20180518_141417.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...