IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos Nucifera "Tall" pollination question

GottmitAlex

I read on the forum that the Tall variety of Cocos nucifera, namely Jamaican and Pacific, do not self pollinate.

Does this mean someone has to climb those palms and manually do it? Can bees do it? Or are they like date palms: Male and female flowers grow on different trees.

Thank you

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The male and female flowers generally open at different times on one bracket, so selfing isn't as reliable when pollinated by bees. Yield will be low unless there are multiple coconuts in the area or you hand-pollinate. Selfing is more likely in the hot humid months when multiple brackets can open at once. 

• Upvote 3

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thank you very much Zeeth!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Btw, there is  a seller on Ebay who currently has sprouted and unsprouted Pacific/Panama Talls for sale:

I know folks on Palmtalk have been looking for sprouted Panama Talls without much luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162273620369

s-l500.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

Often times, the talls will produce cross pollinated hybrid nuts that have been cross pollinated with other varieties of talls growing in the vicinity, and in the case of South Florida, where you have multiple different varieties of dwarfs growing nearby, they will often produce Mayjam and Maypan hybrids.  I have what appears to be a healthy Panama Tall from Florida, but it is growing very slowly, and right next to it is a very fast growing Maypan.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Often times, the talls will produce cross pollinated hybrid nuts that have been cross pollinated with other varieties of talls growing in the vicinity, and in the case of South Florida, where you have multiple different varieties of dwarfs growing nearby, they will often produce Mayjam and Maypan hybrids.  I have what appears to be a healthy Panama Tall from Florida, but it is growing very slowly, and right next to it is a very fast growing Maypan.

Are Panama Talls slow growers compared to other varieties? (Generally speaking)

47 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Are Panama Talls slow growers compared to other varieties? (Generally speaking)

I think they are supposed to be fast growers, but mine for some reason, even though it looks healthy is VERY slow growing.  I have a Maypan on one side of it that is growing like it's on steroids (which is normal for them), and a Golden Malayan Dwarf on the other side of it that is younger than the Panama Tall by about a year or more, and yet is about to surpass it in height!

Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I think they are supposed to be fast growers, but mine for some reason, even though it looks healthy is VERY slow growing.  I have a Maypan on one side of it that is growing like it's on steroids (which is normal for them), and a Golden Malayan Dwarf on the other side of it that is younger than the Panama Tall by about a year or more, and yet is about to surpass it in height!

Wow. I see. I can only assume you checked the soil already. Comparing between the three cocos.

13 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Wow. I see. I can only assume you checked the soil already. Comparing between the three cocos.

I haven't done a soil test or anything like that, but I planted them all within about 3ft. of each other to make a nice cluster of coconut palms of 3 different varieties.  The Panama Tall looks healthy, so I don't think there is any kind of soil born disease.  It is just growing extremely slow.  I did lose a Jamaican Tall there about a month before I planted it, but I think that was due apparently to Jamaican Talls not liking their roots disturbed (something that happens with all plants when you take them out of the pot and put them in the ground) when they are young, which is something I didn't know about till after I planted it.  I have had bad luck with Jamaican Talls here, and no longer intend to plant any.  For some reason, they just don't seem to do well here on the South Texas coast, whereas other varieties due okay between our bad winters.

1 hour ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I haven't done a soil test or anything like that, but I planted them all within about 3ft. of each other to make a nice cluster of coconut palms of 3 different varieties.  The Panama Tall looks healthy, so I don't think there is any kind of soil born disease.  It is just growing extremely slow.  I did lose a Jamaican Tall there about a month before I planted it, but I think that was due apparently to Jamaican Talls not liking their roots disturbed (something that happens with all plants when you take them out of the pot and put them in the ground) when they are young, which is something I didn't know about till after I planted it.  I have had bad luck with Jamaican Talls here, and no longer intend to plant any.  For some reason, they just don't seem to do well here on the South Texas coast, whereas other varieties due okay between our bad winters.

Thought about a different variety? Pacific tall?

On 11/13/2016, 5:42:10, Zeeth said:

The male and female flowers generally open at different times on one bracket, so selfing isn't as reliable when pollinated by bees. Yield will be low unless there are multiple coconuts in the area or you hand-pollinate. Selfing is more likely in the hot humid months when multiple brackets can open at once. 

so tall types need same verity trees near by to produce pure breed seeds ??

16 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

any panama tall pics if you have

There are a good number of Atlantic Talls growing here in S.W. Florida. Here are a few from Pine Island, I  always see multiple adjacent talls as an opportunity to collect what are hopefully pure tall coconuts. Often the nuts themselves will display tall characteristics in size and form. I have to say I've enjoyed  sprouting about ten this year.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_3294-small.jpg

gallery-tall-3-small.jpg

pineland-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, RR soFLA said:

There are a good number of Atlantic Talls growing here in S.W. Florida. Here are a few from Pine Island, I  always see multiple adjacent talls as an opportunity to collect what are hopefully pure tall coconuts. Often the nuts themselves will display tall characteristics in size and form. I have to say I've enjoyed  sprouting about ten this year.

RR, thank you for the pictures. From your experience, can you tell me if the nut pictured on post #4 of this thread displays the characteristics of a tall?

It could be, usually they are triangulated often with ridges on the thinner or bottom end. Yours looks kind of ridged. I usually plant in a mix of composted cow manure, top soil and native soil (here is sand). Good luck with it!

Here is a shot of some of this years sprouts,  the previously pictured have since been planted in front of the house.

photo.JPG

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎14‎:‎05‎, GottmitAlex said:

Thought about a different variety? Pacific tall?

I have thought about trying to get a Green Variety of Hawaiian Tall, which according to Keith in Florida is pretty cold hardy, hardier than the Golden Variety of Hawaiian Tall.