IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lookit what the Dypsis saintluciei caught!

DoomsDave

Did a double take at what initially appeared to be a giant dead thing from out of nowhere that had landed in my biggest D. saintluciei.

IMG_1689.thumb.JPG.23118160157f5921fcc6e

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

IMG_1690.thumb.JPG.139dd9627a992429db7a0IMG_1691.thumb.JPG.606775d2ff2cb0be8f788

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

But it turned out be a dead leaf from my hybrid Archontophoenix towering overhead.

IMG_1692.thumb.JPG.1e0c7438f298e54cfe541IMG_1693.thumb.JPG.f98ddc14b215e150cd58f

• Upvote 1

The Saintluciei Family is far more grateful they appear in the picture. The big one is just to the right of center, next smallest to the right, and the baby of the family on the far left.

IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.dcecab3356f2a8e167d65

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

The Saintluciei Family is far more grateful they appear in the picture. The big one is just to the right of center, next smallest to the right, and the baby of the family on the far left.

Nice looking family Dave!  I picked up a little one gallon at one of our So Cal PS meetings and dropped it into the ground early this summer.  Its proving to be a good grower for me, faster than I had expected!  I planted mine where it gets good full half day sun and reflected heat off my paver driveway, but adjacent to a low screen which gives it afternoon filtered light while it's small.  It will eventually rise up over the screen and have full day sun, but hopefully will be ready for that by then.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

My little D. saintelucei is growing happily but last time I checked, hadn't achieved stability:  it's needed to be propped up.  Weird.  

The yard has four big Archontophoenix, so there's plenty of potential damage from falling leaves.  I'm no longer convinced that A. tuckeri is so much more petite than Roystonea.   

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

17 minutes ago, Dave-Vero said:

My little D. saintelucei is growing happily but last time I checked, hadn't achieved stability:  it's needed to be propped up.  Weird.  

The yard has four big Archontophoenix, so there's plenty of potential damage from falling leaves.  I'm no longer convinced that A. tuckeri is so much more petite than Roystonea.   

Oh it's a lot more petite than Roystonea.

R. regia leaves in my garden are about 50 pounds apiece when they fall, usually before they dry out. Tuckeri are less than half that.

Hmm. Like a hippo is smaller than an elephant.

19 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Those look great, Dave.  

How much sun are those in, and how long have you been growing the biggest one?

6 minutes ago, Sabal Steve said:

Those look great, Dave.  

How much sun are those in, and how long have you been growing the biggest one?

They get about half a day's sun. The biggest is about 7 years old from a gallon pot planted in the ground. It's starting to get really beefy with maturity.

• Upvote 1

Dave, nice D. st Lucy.  Never had any luck with them, tried four or five in a few different locals at my house and even a few at a clients

no luck, get brown tip, it spreads, they die off.  Must be too hot ad dry at this locality, even with lots of watering. Yours look real nice and happy

aloha

Colin 

I threw my two big one gal. and one small 1 gal. from Floribunda in full sun last spring and they have done very well. Lots of mulch and water, no burning at all. They've been pretty steady.

OK, Dave, I'll provide a photo of myself lugging an A. tuckeri leaf next time one comes crashing down.   I think 40 pounds.  Of course some well-fed local royals must be 60 or 80.   The tree in question had a prosperous summer after a nearby, unhappy A. cunninghamiana got euthanized.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

My sainteluciei died :( it didn't like the wet season here.............. Yours looks fantastic.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

8 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Dave, nice D. st Lucy.  Never had any luck with them, tried four or five in a few different locals at my house and even a few at a clients

no luck, get brown tip, it spreads, they die off.  Must be too hot ad dry at this locality, even with lots of watering. Yours look real nice and happy

aloha

Colin 

I think it might be the soil. We get KFC weather all the time, and it won't faze them, as long as the soil holds water. I suspect Hawaiian fast-draining lava might be problem. If you could find a way to make a water-holding pocket they might do better (love to see an experiement!)

7 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

OK, Dave, I'll provide a photo of myself lugging an A. tuckeri leaf next time one comes crashing down.   I think 40 pounds.  Of course some well-fed local royals must be 60 or 80.   The tree in question had a prosperous summer after a nearby, unhappy A. cunninghamiana got euthanized.  

60 - 80 pounds for a Royal leaf!? Whoa big horse . . . . :blink:

The best way to weigh them is with a fish scale. We don't have them too much out here.

I think a 40 pound leaf might crush the saintluciei, though I'll let others find that out  . . .

8 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

I threw my two big one gal. and one small 1 gal. from Floribunda in full sun last spring and they have done very well. Lots of mulch and water, no burning at all. They've been pretty steady.

They are a real winner for here, for sure. Small, but not tiny (plant in a condo garden) striking appearance, a lot tougher than they look. (Maybe push a few on the nearby condo board, palmicize it.

Another few years and it will look like mine!