IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can someone please recommend about these issues?

Texaspalm2016

Good morning all. Im new to the forum and looking for help about 2 different palm issues Im having. First I have a Sabal Palm (I think it is Sabal) that some of the new growth always shows burned- see attached pictures. What can I do about this?

My second issue is about the seeds of a needle palm ( see attachment)  Is this the correct size?  For the padt 3 years I get thounsands of seeds  but very small and always turn into this dark brown color.  The palm itself it is very healthy, with very green fronds.

thanks in advance for your comments or suggestions

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

• Upvote 1

I only can say: good evening and welcome on Palmtalk.

But sadly I can't answer to your question, being used only to tropical srilankan climate and vegetation. 

But there are few americans on Palmtalk (lol)

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

For the second palm show, could you take another photo showing the entire palm?  

Although I don't grow needle palm, I can offer that it is normal for most palm seeds to darken as they ripen.  I'm not much help, I'm afraid, but welcome to PalmTalk!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Welcome to Palmtalk!   I wish that I could help you more.   Maybe as pointed out more photos of the second palm.   As for the first photo, that is definitely not a needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix).  I am not sure what exactly the species you have is, however it is definitely not needle palm.  The fruits are wrong size / color / shape, and the petioles of needle palms are smooth and unarmed.  

That said, palm fruits / seeds come in many shapes, sizes and colors.    Knowing the exact species would be most helpful in determining if the fruit/ seeds are in deed the correct size.  Do you have a photo of the entire palm for that one too?    

Belie is a photo of needle palm fruits / seeds. 

IMG_1189.PNG

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

First one is indeed a Chamaerops.

That was my first thought too.  I just wanted to see the whole thing to confirm that thought. :-)

Chamaerops do sometimes produce these small false seeds. They will not germinate. I assume it happens when a female plant does not have a male plant nearby. You could try and get some male pollen next time your female flowers. It looks nice and healthy otherwise.

Regards Neil

Guys.... thanks for the fast response.... It does makes sense about not having The male palm.... so how do I go about getting the polen or even finding out a male specimen of this type of palm?

Los Burts!

Welcome!

See my PM.

I agree, the first palm is a Chamaerops, very different from a Rhapidophyllum (needle palm). Looks like the seeds are ripe, plant some, see how they do. (Put 6" of potting soil in a pot, layer seeds in a single layer, cover with 1/4 - 1/2 inch of soil, keep moist and wait.)

Give us a full monty shot of the Sabal. My initial opinion is that it will grow out of the problem it's having. They're tough. Like Marines on steroids.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Before you plant any seeds cut a couple of the largest seeds open and at least check that there is a properly formed seeds inside. Post a photo here if you are not sure what it should look like.

Regards Neil

Here are some better pictures stepping back from the 2 closeups I attached to my initial post.  First picture its sidewayIMG_1625.JPG.be9cf3a4bb4fcd5ec08a1f35a9d

IMG_1624.JPG

Edited by Texaspalm2016

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

Chamaerops for sure, Welcome to Palmtalk !  :winkie:

In deed.  On both counts!  Top pic in your last post def looks like Sabal to me.  :-)