IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC November 2016 meeting

DoomsDave

326 front of house.jpg

The Palm Society of Southern California's November 2016, meeting, potluck and auction will be held at the home of Greg Haines and John Cressey at 2170 Mendocino Lane, Altadena, CA on November 19, 2016, starting at 10:00 a.m. continuing to about 3:00 p.m.

Greg Haines and John Cressey joined the Palm Society in 1976. Their Oakland home and its palms and tropical planting were lost in the 1991 Oakland Hills Firestorm. Long members of The Huntington Library and Gardens they moved to Altadena. Their 1920s Spanish revival home with garden is on historic Mendocino Lane that has an impressive planting of Washingtonia robusta, the skyduster palm, that line both sides of the curved street from Allen to Altadena Drive. Planted in 1925, the palms currently reach up about 75 feet and provide an impressive gateway to the 1928 Spanish home.

The garden is over an acre in size and includes some 140 species. However, the goal has been to create a tropical landscape more than a collection of palm trees. There are several water features and winding paths that lead to a tea house, a five-tier waterfall and on to a king palm forest that honors the memory of Warren Dolby, an early champion of the Palm Society and its research/publications.

Itinerary:
9:30- Board of Directors Meeting
11:00- Members arrive to tour the garden
12:00- Potluck lunch- Main chicken dish will be provided, Please bring your favorite dish to share
1:00- General meeting followed by awesome auction

Address of Greg Haines and John Cressey: 2170 Mendocino Lane, Altadena, CA 91001
Directions:

From the West: 110 FWY until it ends and becomes Arroyo Parkway. Proceed north, turn right on
Colorado Blvd. Then left on Allen Ave. Head north past 210 FWY, past New York Dr., and right on
Mendocino. Go 1 1/2 block, garden is on the right.

If using the 210 FWY: from the west exit Hill St., go 3 blocks, left on Allen, north to Mendocino Lane.
From East and South using 605 FWY: North on 605, get on to 210 FWY going west. Exit Allen Ave.,
turn right, head north, turn right on Mendocino Lane.

582375474f361_TEDDYBEAR.thumb.jpeg.bef7b

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Everyone:

As you may know the PSSC is having its November 19, 2016 in Altadena this Saturday! http://palmssc.org/next-pssc-meeting-27/

As an added bonus for attending the November 19, 2016 meeting, the PSSC will provide a choice "raffle palm" to be given to a lucky attendee of the meeting, drawn by lot.

On November 19, 2016, the raffle palm is a 7-gallon Ravenea moorei, donated by Larry Black. It's a beauty! It's about 3 feet tall, planted. Imagine how it would look in your garden! Everyone who attends the meeting is eligible if they're present when the palm is raffled off, at the end of the auction.

All attendees eligible: members, non members, even PSSC Board members!

It's pictured below.

582a13971d9af_raveneamoorei.thumb.jpg.c4

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

whaaa

Come anyway

do the impossible

Coming to the banquet in January?

I really would but my best friends wedding is that weekend and he might be upset if I missed it haha. I am planning on making it to the banquet. Where is it supposed to be this year? 

10 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I really would but my best friends wedding is that weekend and he might be upset if I missed it haha. I am planning on making it to the banquet. Where is it supposed to be this year? 

Banquet will be in Balboa Park, San Diego. Jan. 21, 2017

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Banquet will be in Balboa Park, San Diego. Jan. 21, 2017

Nice! My brother lives right by there now days. That's an awesome place to have it!

I was putting an AC back together at a friends Sat. so missed it.

Beautiful place those guys have.

Hope to see some pics too!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 4 weeks later...