IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gopher resistant palms

Hammer

Inspired/horrified by Fallbrook Jason's thread about gopher casualties, I wanted to poll the experts out there...

I have lucky so far.  No gophers in my yard. But just over the concrete wall on city property is gopher heaven.  Per a previous thread I plan to start planting on "Gopher Ridge" soon.

So the question is...

What palm species do gophers usually NOT like to eat?

• Upvote 2

It might be easier to list what they love, and assume all else is "fair game" depending on desperation!

For some reason, Bismarkia's seem to be like Filet Mignon. Its the only ones I've seen and heard report of tunnel UP above ground for feet to eat the heart out. Palms where the growing point was 4-5' tall!!

Aside from that, it seems that heeled palms that are slow growing have the most appeal. Any palm where the meristem/heart are easiest to get to and still underground. On the faster palms that the heart is some distance above/trunking, the roots may still be ravaged, but its not death. It's merely "a flesh wound"...lol (If we can add SOME humor). Never seen or heard of Queens, etc taken down by them. Like I said, look at what they like and then protect accordingly.

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just now, Danilopez89 said:

"Sago Palms":greenthumb::)

True. Gophers do not like cycads at all. Poisonous I believe.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I've never noticed any damage to my braheas.  And they live in gopher city.

Or maybe it's "mole city"...not sure. But I think gophers are bigger than the one I once wacked in the head.

I get both gophers and rabbits in my yard and they are a pain in the ass. They have a way to ruin your day when things are going good. The gophers like the palms and the rabbits like the cycads. I have seen gopher holes right next to the trunks of the following palms and they were fine. 

1- brahea armata

2- brahea clara

3- brahea decumbens

4- butia & butia hybrids (x syagrus, x jubaea)

5- parajubaea tor tor

6- parajubaea sunka

7- dypsis onahilensis

8- beccariophoenix alfredii

9- ravenea  glauca

I have lost the following palms to gophers: 

1- bizmarkia (4 of them)

2- dypsis decaryi

3- dypsis ambositrae (tried another one and is doing fine now- fingers crossed)

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, 5150cycad said:

I get both gophers and rabbits in my yard and they are a pain in the ass. They have a way to ruin your day when things are going good. The gophers like the palms and the rabbits like the cycads. I have seen gopher holes right next to the trunks of the following palms and they were fine. 

1- brahea armata

2- brahea clara

3- brahea decumbens

4- butia & butia hybrids (x syagrus, x jubaea)

5- parajubaea tor tor

6- parajubaea sunka

7- dypsis onahilensis

8- beccariophoenix alfredii

9- ravenea  glauca

I have lost the following palms to gophers: 

1- bizmarkia (4 of them)

2- dypsis decaryi

3- dypsis ambositrae (tried another one and is doing fine now- fingers crossed)

Hmm.

Interesting. Sorry you had to learn this way!

Adam, this is a great thread! It might provide some way to predict susceptibility to rodent damage as to various palms ahead of time. I'd love to see you populate Gopher Ridge and put the thumb in the eyes of the little [expletives] by planting palms they hate to eat. This thread offers some rational hope for that.

One possible place to start is whether the palm in question is native to places where gophers and such animals are endemic. Here, in North America, it would seem that palms native to the southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico might be good bets on Gopher ridge, which might include all of the Braheas, Washies, etc. Also, Africa has rodents too, and I'll bet palms native to such places might have evolved natural protections. I recall Phoenix (many from Africa) didn't have much gopher appeal. Perhaps Borassus, Medemia and others might be unappetizing, as well.

Madagascar has no native rodents. Bizzies appear to be toast, though it's interesting that the gophers don't like Ravenea glauca. Perhaps some of the tougher Dypsis might also make it, especially the small types too little to bother with. I would think twice about really big Dypsis with large succulent growth buds, like D. robusta, prestoniana, etc.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yesterday I decided to plant a recent 7 gal bifida hybrid I bought and it was in another rocky area. As I am not worried about cycads and gophers, I planted with no protection. As a matter of fact gophers passed through the area a year or two ago and the tunnel was just barely below the surface as there are quite a bit of rocks there. Anyway, I put all the rocks I removed behind, and will try to make a "how to rock basket" as I plant a Lepidoracchis later..

20161106_162457.thumb.jpg.03fe4fa33a551c

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

Adam, this is a great thread! It might provide some way to predict susceptibility to rodent damage as to various palms ahead of time. I'd love to see you populate Gopher Ridge and put the thumb in the eyes of the little [expletives] by planting palms they hate to eat. This thread offers some rational hope for that.

One possible place to start is whether the palm in question is native to places where gophers and such animals are endemic. Here, in North America, it would seem that palms native to the southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico might be good bets on Gopher ridge, which might include all of the Braheas, Washies, etc. Also, Africa has rodents too, and I'll bet palms native to such places might have evolved natural protections. I recall Phoenix (many from Africa) didn't have much gopher appeal. Perhaps Borassus, Medemia and others might be unappetizing, as well.

Madagascar has no native rodents. Bizzies appear to be toast, though it's interesting that the gophers don't like Ravenea glauca. Perhaps some of the tougher Dypsis might also make it, especially the small types too little to bother with. I would think twice about really big Dypsis with large succulent growth buds, like D. robusta, prestoniana, etc.

Unfortunately, during the summer months, I walk my property twice a week to see if there are any gophers holes popping up next to my palms. I should have also mentioned that when I see gopher holes i immediately throw gopher poison down into the hole and backfill it. This is the only method that has worked for me. I have tried many different traps without any success. I believe this is why my glauca and parajubaea are still alive. 

I think you are right that brahea is pretty gopher resistant species. I am not saying that all of the species that I listed are gopher resistant, however, with a little gopher preventative maintenance, they can definity survive and look pretty good. 

A palm growing in water. ;) Wait... Is that beaver proof though? I don't think they like palm wood, do they?

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

29 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

A palm growing in water. ;) Wait... Is that beaver proof though? I don't think they like palm wood, do they?

Hmm.

Interesting question. I think that beavers live in places far too cold for palms to live, though someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

12 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

Interesting insights DD.  I really do hope that this thread accomplishes a great deal in clarifying gopher preferences and how us palm growers can get the upper hand.

• Upvote 1

Sadly I do not live where many palms grow (zone 8) but we have hundreds of gophers here and I still fail to plant every palm in a metal basket as I should.  But I have noticed some genera seem particularly tasty while others seem to be completely ignored (so far).  Lost all my Trachycarpus and most of my Sabals to gophers.  Lost a huge Phoenix canariensis to a gopher as well.   Also lost a Phoenix dactylifera to a gopher as well.  Also lost 4 Chamaerops to those pesky buggers (some mature)... but so far, my most common palms, Brahea armatas and Butias (three species) have been ignored, despite growing right nearby the other munched genera.

Noticed a pattern of Agave preference, too, with the pale blue agaves being favorites, while most of the green ones being ignored (aside from Agave salmiana, another gopher favorite).  

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Sadly I do not live where many palms grow (zone 8) but we have hundreds of gophers here and I still fail to plant every palm in a metal basket as I should.  But I have noticed some genera seem particularly tasty while others seem to be completely ignored (so far).  Lost all my Trachycarpus and most of my Sabals to gophers.  Lost a huge Phoenix canariensis to a gopher as well.   Also lost a Phoenix dactylifera to a gopher as well.  Also lost 4 Chamaerops to those pesky buggers (some mature)... but so far, my most common palms, Brahea armatas and Butias (three species) have been ignored, despite growing right nearby the other munched genera.

Noticed a pattern of Agave preference, too, with the pale blue agaves being favorites, while most of the green ones being ignored (aside from Agave salmiana, another gopher favorite).  

Geoff

That's useful albeit born of sorrow

• Upvote 1

On Tue Nov 08 2016 21:07:09 GMT-0800, Geoff said:

Same with my agave plants...

Another one of my palms that lives in gopher city is a small butia. And I've actually never even seen a gopher hole next to it.:interesting:

On 11/7/2016, 3:43:10, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

Interesting question. I think that beavers live in places far too cold for palms to live, though someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ive seen beavers in the Carolinas, but that was as far south as I have ever seen them with my own eyes. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 9 months later...

I planted my first palm a couple months ago on Gopher Ridge.  A Chamaerops humilis. 

About a week ago, I noticed a large gopher hole right next to the trunk.  I pushed the 3 foot trunk.  Solid!  Whew.

Later that evening I noticed some movement out of the corner my eye. I turned just in time to see a full green leaf disappear into the ground.  WTH?!

So I put a hose down the hole, turned on some water and gave the palm, and gopher, a good soaking. Trunk still solid, Whew!

Since then I have filled in the hole.  The gopher has pushed some dirt around but not exposed the hole anymore.  It actually looks like it tried to dig a second hole from the surface going down.  But it gave up.

Trunk still solid, whew!  It seems gophers don't eat Chamaerops...at least yet.

• Upvote 2

Interesting bump... The cycad I posted above I just noticed yesterday is starting to flush. Glad you have a currently impervious species

8 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Interesting bump... The cycad I posted above I just noticed yesterday is starting to flush. Glad you have a currently impervious species

Got a picture Bill?

I suppose my call out is gonna get me called out. 

20 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Got a picture Bill?

I suppose my call out is gonna get me called out. 

Give it a few days... or maybe a week or more as it is a hybrid of a giant Cycas and I hope to have some big leaves... The last greenhouse leaves were 6' or so..

Hammer, please keep us apprised of what happens!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017, 10:22:18, BS Man about Palms said:

Give it a few days... or maybe a week or more as it is a hybrid of a giant Cycas and I hope to have some big leaves... The last greenhouse leaves were 6' or so..

Where is the jeopardy theme when you need it?

Ok Adam...subtle hints are good and needed... but it puts out some big fronds...leaves? :blink:

20170925_085025.thumb.jpg.adf3903d1012cc

The flush is about 30" tall at this point..