IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix rupicola

Al in Kona

Phoenix rupicola is my favorite of the genus.  This one I grew from seed that came from habitat in India.  I've read that most or many of the P. rupicolas out there often have some hybridization in them.  It is not a fast grower but maybe part of the reason is that it is growing pretty much on its own with no supplemental watering or fertilizer.  Happy to have it.  How about a few pics of your P. rupicola, be it pure or hybrid.

Phoenix rupicola, 10-'16.JPG

• Upvote 17

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I'm growing some from seed started in August from RPS. I won't bother posting a picture of the little sprouts. How old is yours? How tall is it? It looks perfectly grown despite your benign neglect. Beautiful!

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 84°, Lo 61°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

I have to agree it's the best looking in the genus in my opinion. I got one in the ground and tons of seedlings but nothing to show off yet. Al that one looks fantastic! 

Beautiful tree! It's one of my favorite as well. I have a tiny 3-year old seedling and this bad boy which has been in the ground 3 years from a 5-gallon container. 

20161027_133029.jpg

• Upvote 5

Mine when it was first planted 2 years ago. It has grown an additional 1 and half feet of trunk since then. the old leaf bases at the bottom of the trunk are now starting to fall off revealing a leaf scar pattern similar to a Canary Island Date Palm. I need to get an updated photo....

myRupy.JPG

Edited by GMann
  • Upvote 6

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

My one and only Phoenix rupicola is extremely slow growing. I think I purchased it (along with another one) in 2000 as 3 gallon sizes. In January of 2001 both palms were severely cold damaged from a hard freeze in the low 20s. One succumbed to the cold. I then dug the surviving palm up and transplanted it at the S.E. corner of my storage shed in hopes that the shed would help shield the palm from cold N.W. wind. It's done fairly well in its new location but does get frost burn on occasion, although no damage for the past four winters.

Phoenix%20rupicola_zps7hlohmam.jpg

Phoenix%20rupicola%20sign_zps4fzv8yud.jp

• Upvote 9

Mad about palms

On 11/3/2016, 9:56:06, Walt said:

My one and only Phoenix rupicola is extremely slow growing. I think I purchased it (along with another one) in 2000 as 3 gallon sizes. In January of 2001 both palms were severely cold damaged from a hard freeze in the low 20s. One succumbed to the cold. I then dug the surviving palm up and transplanted it at the S.E. corner of my storage shed in hopes that the shed would help shield the palm from cold N.W. wind. It's done fairly well in its new location but does get frost burn on occasion, although no damage for the past four winters.

Phoenix%20rupicola_zps7hlohmam.jpg

Phoenix%20rupicola%20sign_zps4fzv8yud.jp

Sorry walt

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's one of mine

It's about 7 feet 2.3 M tall

IMG_1644.thumb.JPG.80f88b02dd2921bfdeb7fIMG_1645.thumb.JPG.527f66173c98439a93d6eIMG_1646.thumb.JPG.89f79d04999615b83c950

• Upvote 5

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's the pair

In the light of the failing afternoon sun

IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.11720eff47108a6a6d5f0IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.5918ac7f4bbefd909bcaa

• Upvote 6

Thanks all of you for sharing your nice Phoenix rupicolas.  IMO, despite being a rather slow grower it is a beautiful palm.  Good to see so many of you growing it.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

This is mine at the beach. It is slow.... this one is almost 15yrs old. It was planted out about 12 years ago.

IMG_1962.thumb.jpg.ae02fd20f7eb999e22697 

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

4 hours ago, scottgt said:

This is mine at the beach. It is slow.... this one is almost 15yrs old. It was planted out about 12 years ago.

WHOA

That is slow!

Bet it would be a lot faster dug and moved into some real soil . . . .

Wow that does seem super slow Scott.  Maybe some extra watering and fertilizer might help speed it up some, do you think?  It does look healthy green however. 

• Upvote 2

Nice sunsets!

Al, it does get extra water and fertilizer just like all my palms. It does not seem to like the beach.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 1 month later...

Here is a really mature specimen from Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando (the Africa area). It looks like it has not been maintained very much so it is perhaps a good indication of how they would look in nature once mature:

Disney2.JPG

Edited by GMann
  • Upvote 4

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

On 3/11/2016, 12:19:32, Pal Meir said:

This was mine, grown up from seed, given away in 2008: :(

581a66508c7a8_Phoenixrupicola2008-09-16.

It acts like Paul the octopus trying to escape from this tiny pot!:P

• Upvote 4

Anyone else growing Phoenix rupicola and can share them with us here.  Please share a photo if possible. 

• Upvote 1

Nice sunsets!

They're not the most cold-tolerant phoenix species. Mine gets a bronze color from temperatures in the low 30s and some foliar damage with frost . I'd say it's similar to roebelenii in terms of cold hardiness. 

25 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

How winter hardy are these elegant palms?  

Cheers, Barrie.

• Upvote 2

Here's another nice Phoenix rupicola, also growing in Sebring, Florida. I have more photos of Phoenix rupicola I've found, but I need to find the photos to post them.

rupicola_zpsklhxwuqt.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mad about palms

Here are mine, a bigger specimen bought from a nursery and a smaller one grown from seed on. Qualiry of pictures is bad beacause this time of year sun has a very low orbit, anyway small specimen is uniformly green, any perceived yellow color is only a sun reflection on shiny leaves! What intrigues me is that big specimen has, given or taken, straight, while fronds on small specimen are recurved.

IMG_20161209_170556.thumb.jpg.bbe538ed74IMG_20161209_170533.thumb.jpg.d8a044d202IMG_20161209_165449.thumb.jpg.bc3579e8e7

IMG_20161209_165337.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ok big specimen is crowded between Strelitzia and an older dactylifera and probably competes with them for water. Whole situation is ..., what is the slang word in Ca, 'velezized'? Actually this is nothing to another corner of my garden where 'velezization' reaches the level of art, with paricipants Trithrinax acanthocoma and campestris, Livistona australis, Dioon rzedowskii ans Encephalartos altestenii:wacko:

Here's another Phoenix rupicola palm growing in Lake Placid, Florida. Of course, I took this photo in March of 2003, and I'm assuming the palm is still there.

Rupicola%20palm_zpsogmcykux.jpg

• Upvote 4

Mad about palms

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Here's another Phoenix rupicola palm growing in Lake Placid, Florida. Of course, I took this photo in March of 2003, and I'm assuming the palm is still there.

Rupicola%20palm_zpsogmcykux.jpg

wow!

they look so beautiful. I need to get mine in the ground asap!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Here's another P. rupicola growing a few blocks away from the above one I posted. Again, I took this photo 14 years ago, so the palm surely is taller now than then.

Lake%20Placid%20Phoenix%20rupicola_zpsty

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Dr. Young's specimen was planted in Tampa circa 1965 and grew to 30' tall before it was relocated in 2014.  It survived all of the horrible 1980's freezes (19F, 21F, 22F etc.) proving it is hardier than P. roebelenii.  The foliage may be as tender as P. roebelenii but the trunk/bud is hardier.  It is a safe bet in 9b.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

21 minutes ago, SubTropicRay said:

Dr. Young's specimen was planted in Tampa circa 1965 and grew to 30' tall before it was relocated in 2014.  It survived all of the horrible 1980's freezes (19F, 21F, 22F etc.) proving it is hardier than P. roebelenii.  The foliage may be as tender as P. roebelenii but the trunk/bud is hardier.  It is a safe bet in 9b.

Agree...

I wish these were grown more by commercial growers in the field. It is such a good palm for central and south FL.

There used to be quite a few around Orlando. they were wiped out in the 1989 freezes. Most survived the 1983 and 1985 freezes but '89 destroyed them. There was 2 growing at a business in College Park in Orlando. Both had nice curves in the trunk and were about 15ft tall. I always admired them but they were killed. I also remember another business on the west side that had 2 growing. One was a pure or mostly pure P. rupicola. The other had P. reclinata mixed in as there were suckers at the base. It also had something else mixed in as it was a bit thicker and hardier. The pure specimen was killed in '89 the other had no damage.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

3 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I wish these were grown more by commercial growers in the field. It is such a good palm for central and south FL.

There used to be quite a few around Orlando. they were wiped out in the 1989 freezes. Most survived the 1983 and 1985 freezes but '89 destroyed them. There was 2 growing at a business in College Park in Orlando. Both had nice curves in the trunk and were about 15ft tall. I always admired them but they were killed. I also remember another business on the west side that had 2 growing. One was a pure or mostly pure P. rupicola. The other had P. reclinata mixed in as there were suckers at the base. It also had something else mixed in as it was a bit thicker and hardier. The pure specimen was killed in '89 the other had no damage.

How cold had it been in '89 and for how long?

Just a super good looking palm .The colorful fruit just add to their appeal IMO.