IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Stretched and underpotted, whatever do you mean?

BS Man about Palms

Sooooo, finally trying to get the palms that have rooted into the front yard moved/ready to pot up for future ACTUAL planting..

Found this 5 gal Dypsis cabadae was nestled near the Jubea and was fighting hard to find some sun.. I'll add others I find too. Just put a 15 gal Brahea elegans in a tub...

20161030_133241.thumb.jpg.f1d60424c75b94

58168ce072faf_20161030_133255(1).thumb.j

• Upvote 4

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yeah, I would say it is a bit stretched . . .

Why not just stick in the ground?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dang! It does look like it was in a WAR for sun! Look how long the fronds are reaching as hard as they can!

PalmTreeDude

Hoping to start up on the remodel and finish it soon Dave. 

PTD, the Jubea basically is a 20+' circle of palm bush.. anything within 6' is really hurting for sun..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Careful,
That baby my get sun burned in his new life. can you protect these few long leaves in the first time?

Best wishes for happy growth :D

PS: It looks like forgotten plants we can find in the depth of srilankan countryside nurseries, small pot, most of the roots in the ground, few leaves but such great hope!

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

its free at last....lol:D

are you gonna plant it now?

• Like 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

14 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

its free at last....lol:D

are you gonna plant it now?

Yes, I saw Bill shopping for boxes. :)

• Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

5 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

That baby my get sun burned in his new life. can you protect these few long leaves in the first time?

:yay:It will be a chuckle seeing the short stubby things it will put out when it gets moved to the sun.  Such a contrast with these lanky leaves!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, LJG said:

Yes, I saw Bill shopping for boxes. :)

OMG!!:floor::floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

When you say you "found" it????? Was it missing or you had forgotten about it? Either way it leads me to believe you have an out of control pot ranch :lol:

who knows what else you might find out there

Kenny, I thought you were well acquainted with my "container ranch". Probably 60-70% of my plants are still in pots awaiting planting. So, "Yes" they are found as such because They get placed "temporarily"... and then another palm gets placed "temporarily" in front of or next to it.. and as they grow, some get obscured by either other plants or weeds..

I knew where this Brahea elegans was... in a 15 gal pot that had split on all sides and was mostly a root mass above ground. I dug it up and drug it and hoisted it into a large tub... for now..

20161101_154650.thumb.jpg.7ab2ce4eee3b32

Its now out front with the pembana getting a bit more of the sun they were both looking for. In the winter, the house blocks most of the sun, but is very bright..

The Dypsis visible near the tub is the next one up for "fresh boxing"... :blink:

Fronds of the aforementioned...

20161101_154658.thumb.jpg.82746ebb1b5a05

• 2 months later...

First, looks like the Brahea did not like the dig up... Dypsis is slowly plugging along.

Another one... not stretched, but rooted in and no soil. I've had this Chambeyronia houliou for a looooog time. The soil had settled way down and the level was a good 4" below the base of the palm.. I wanted to get it potted up and ready for the upcoming rain. I figured now is as good a time as ever.

20170119_173626.thumb.jpg.4f16c32f1a5b96

• 4 weeks later...

I found 2 more that I dug up to transplant into larger pots. These were both in TWO gallon pots, sitting on the soil in a 40 gal tub Dypsis sp. slick willy.

They are now in 15 gal pots.

The center one is (was labeled as Dypsis ankizenensis or the like.). I was hoping it was some sort of hybrid. There was also a couple "Abre' ojos" Syagrus seedlings dug from under Bobs palm years back. The Chambeyronia in foreground right is back growing again and pushed about 1/4" or more.. :)

589ff8807571b_20170207_171358(1).thumb.j

20170207_171450.thumb.jpg.42047da5866d3b

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

20170207_171450.thumb.jpg.42047da5866d3b

So Bill, were we supposed to be focused on the palm in the foreground or the weeds in the background in this photo :floor: .  On a serious note, how is that Dypsis cabadae doing?  I'm interested, as I'm giving mine almost full day exposure down here in Leucadia, just a few miles south.  It seems fine with lots of sun, but its only a little over a year now in the ground.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Yeah, well our recent heavy rains this year and early nightfall makes for great weed growing opportunities!! :blink: The D. cabadae is plugging along and the biggest one has pushed about 2". The most obvious thing I've noted as sunburn EVERYWHERE along the south side of the plant. It was very shaded..

On 11/1/2016, 3:48:12, Kennybenjamin said:

Either way it leads me to believe you have an out of control pot ranch :lol:

He had to wait for the election results.

• Upvote 1