IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Cyrtostachys hybrid!

rprimbs

I know this post is quite old and I've been trying to get my hands on one of a "cyrtostachys hybrid" for quite some time.

Does anyone have any insight as to where or who is selling "cyrtostachys hybrid"? I've been searching and asking around with no luck what so ever. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, JChau83 said:

I know this post is quite old and I've been trying to get my hands on one of a "cyrtostachys hybrid" for quite some time.

Does anyone have any insight as to where or who is selling "cyrtostachys hybrid"? I've been searching and asking around with no luck what so ever. Thanks!

Jeff Searle is selling them at his house. He has 7 and 15 gal available. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2016 at 5:11 AM, pilou said:

Are these the scientific names of all the C. renda hybrids?

The C. renda is native to swamp wet areas but is temperature cold sensitive.  I am told it is best grown in pots in south Florida so you can bring indoors if it's expected to get below high 40s.  I understand these hybrids suffer no damages even in the low 30s but wondering if these hybrids can stand/thrive wet feet or even say placed into a garden pond?

17 hours ago, miamicuse said:

Are these the scientific names of all the C. renda hybrids?

The C. renda is native to swamp wet areas but is temperature cold sensitive.  I am told it is best grown in pots in south Florida so you can bring indoors if it's expected to get below high 40s.  I understand these hybrids suffer no damages even in the low 30s but wondering if these hybrids can stand/thrive wet feet or even say placed into a garden pond?

The palms in your list are all cultivars of C. renda. They have basically the same temperature and water requirements as C. renda. The hybrid discussed in this thread is a cross between C. renda and another Cyrtostachys. It can withstand colder temps than C. renda, whatever the cultivar, without damage. 

• Like 1

I have 3 hybrids.  I kept them in a 600 gallon buried koi pond where they thrived with water levels 3/4 up planters pot.  When they got to 65 gallon size I planted them in the ground where they have slowed down.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PJP said:

I have 3 hybrids.  I kept them in a 600 gallon buried koi pond where they thrived with water levels 3/4 up planters pot.  When they got to 65 gallon size I planted them in the ground where they have slowed down.

Do you have any photos?

On 7/3/2023 at 7:52 AM, Kaname-kun said:

The palms in your list are all cultivars of C. renda. They have basically the same temperature and water requirements as C. renda. The hybrid discussed in this thread is a cross between C. renda and another Cyrtostachys. It can withstand colder temps than C. renda, whatever the cultivar, without damage. 

Jeff, I am thinking about your suggestion of the Cyrtostachys renda to put into the pond, but I read that C. renda is much more cold sensitive and may not have survived the colder days like the past Christmas weekend or a few weeks later.  Dragging it out of the pond may not be as easy as moving a dryer pot inside.  I heard this hybrid is more cold tolerant so I am curious.

On 7/3/2023 at 3:58 PM, PJP said:

so they grew faster when submerged?  You think it's the wet feet or the nutrients from the koi waste?

Good to know about the water level bring 3/4 up the pot, I was thinking it cannot go this deep but this makes it easier as I think I can find a shallower spot and just put the pot on top of an inverted pot anchored to the pond bottom.

Yes pictures would be fantastic!

10 hours ago, miamicuse said:

so they grew faster when submerged?  You think it's the wet feet or the nutrients from the koi waste?

Good to know about the water level bring 3/4 up the pot, I was thinking it cannot go this deep but this makes it easier as I think I can find a shallower spot and just put the pot on top of an inverted pot anchored to the pond bottom.

It’s a koi pond without fish.  I think it’s the heated water I have them in. I keep it at 80 degrees year round. It’s also got a pump to move water around.  Will post pics tomorrow. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, miamicuse said:

It’s a koi pond without fish.  I think it’s the heated water I have them in. I keep it at 80 degrees year round. It’s also got a pump to move water around.  Will post pics tomorrow. 

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

• Like 3

First pic is one of the hybrids which outgrew the pond.  Second pic are two 65G Lipsticks with two babies.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:19 AM, PJP said:

First pic is one of the hybrids which outgrew the pond.  Second pic are two 65G Lipsticks with two babies.

Looks like the hybrids are fast growers.  I heard they grow much faster than C. renda but your experience is even faster when partially submerged.